ZM 1/48 F4J Phantom: 7/19/17: WONDERS NEVER CEASE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 7/13/17: ZM 1/48 F4J PHANTOM: AN INTRODUCTION
I do enjoy building in other scales, especially the larger jets as space and time is a consideration these days. I love Phantoms and have shied away from the Tamiya F4 kits for a number of reasons, even though I do have full GT Resin sets for the F4B, F4J and F4C/D versions. Some of the newer 48th scale kits are just brilliant and I couldn't resist. My small 48th scale stash does contain some gorgeous plastic: Phantoms, Tomcats, Eagles and Vipers. I felt the juices starting to flow and knew, it was time to strike and to start spending some time at the bench.
While 32nd scale would always occupy the majority of my building, I was eager to get going on. I couldn't wait to try my hand at the new ZM kit; detailing looked wonderful but in true ZM tradition, the kit also has a number of ZM Upgrade sets available and only I went their PE Cockpit Upgrade. Other manufacturer AM upgrades purchased: Brassin weighted wheels, Wolfpack and Legend Mk7 seats and a gorgeous set of Furball decals . Notably absent from the kit were: canopy masks, weighted wheels (ZM does offer an Upgrade set), seatbelts and harnesses and no PE. For a 48th scale kit costing $75 I would think these items should have been included. Danny Coreman's Daco F4 book will be my main reference; just a brilliant book.
I've always been a guy who has stayed away from anything but the lightest weathering as I prefer my models to be well maintained aircraft. For the F4, I and going to break the mold a bit and learn how to do black basing with MRP paints.
THE FRONT OFFICE & NOSE GEAR BAY
Work started with the front office and I had decided from day one to go with ZM's PE upgrade set, which they call Super Wing Options. The PE set looked great and is by Eduard, so the quality would be there. I've also felt in 48th scale, this is the best method of adding detail to the front office; at least for me as the old eyes justdon't cut the mustard anymore. Zoukei Mura next1/48 release will be an F4S and the kit does contain a number of parts for that variant, so care needs to be exercised, both with plastic and PE parts. The moldings are crisp, flash free and wonderfully detailed; a huge plus and a giant leap forward from my experience with their 32nd scale kits., as well as part fit for me is well above average and every bit the equal of Tamiya so far.
The front office: standard USN cockpit colors: FS36231 (MRP) and then few days doing all the PE work. Fit was excellent and no area of the front office was spared from a PE facelift and including the rudder pedals which will never be seen. Some light weathering was accomplished with Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash to highlight the details.
Detail painting still needs to be done in the front office and the cables from the back of the RIO's IP will be added a bit later on.
The nose gear bay is very nicely detailed and pops when painted as the details come to life. For me nothing lays down as super smooth and glossy as Tamiya Gloss White; no fuss at all. Details were painted with Model Air and Model Color paints, my preferred acrylics for brush painting and then followed up with pin washes using Tamiya Black Panel Line Accent Color to define and highlight all the details.
I wanted to have a set of ejection seats in a few of the images, so I used a pair of Mk5's I have for a future F4B build and will replace them with the Mk7's as soon as I decide whose to use and then complete all the paint work.
Next up:
Finishing the fuselage, the J79's and intakes.

Thanks for checking in
Peter

ILiNU8.jpg

xv4GrF.jpg

T4kiUJ.jpg

IfKh4R.jpg

wkDhWh.jpg

yHSEGd.jpg

bAgzlI.jpg

WSZmLd.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Great to see you at the bench. Great start that pit looks excellent! Will keep an eye on this!Ā  :thumbsup:

Ā 

Was stationed at March AFB Calif for 8 years had to hear these "flying bricks" take off all the time!Ā  :)

Ā 

Dan

Great to see you back at the bench Peter.

Ā 

It looks like you're off to a great start with that cockpit and nose gear bay.

Ā 

I've got a Tamiya E on the workbench at the moment so it'll be a nice comparison.

Ā 

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Dan

Nice to be cranking again for sure. I can only imagine seeing and hearing those F4's - music to my eyes. I only saw F4 in the air a few times years ago when both the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels flew them. I can close my eyes and still see them.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Peter,

I'm glad to see you firing up on this one. The ZM kit caught my attention a while back, and I was hoping to see a build log of it. I'm extra glad it's you doing it.

Ā 

The pilot's and RIO's positions look great. And the forward wheel well jumps out nicely detailed. Great job on those ejection seat handles!

Ā 

Gonna be watching this one!

Ā 

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gary

So far the F4 has been a wonderful change of pace: getting me off my duff and comparing it to the Owl, it's as if two different companies made the kits.

The ejection seats are slated for an upcoming F4B build as these are Mk5 and the J used Mk7 - I have then and needs to spend a night or two painting them up.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jim

Just a wonderful kit and if "The Old Man" would stop over engineering a fee things, it would be perfect in my book. I just can't wait to sue the Furball decals - they are outrageous

Peter