Hs-129 B3

Dukie99

Looking good, David!

If I may offer my opinion; close review of the photo would suggest to me that the spinners on that bird were black (or possibly RLM 70) with a white spiral. The snow has covered most of the surface and the muzzle brake is obscuring the view of the starboard spinner. That's my take, anyway. (EDIT: I would have to peel through my references to check and see if I could find more info. I no longer have the Classic "Panzerjager!" book, but they have a pretty comprehensive list of details on individual aircraft, by Wk. Nr. that may be useful here, as well. Now I see you have the book!).

Keep up the great work!

John

EDIT #2: Found another pic!

129B-3.jpg

Thanks John, you are right about the spinners, I meant white spirals and not spinners. Hard to say whether the spinners are black or RLM 70 but the spinners look darker than the prop blades, so I think I will go for black spinner and RLM 70 prop blades. Thanks for the picture, it shows the German cross under the wings, very useful. I will check the David Pegg book to see if I can find more info on that particular bird.

David

Time for an update. I have spent two evenings riveting the wings with HGW decals. This is a great product but it requires skills or patience that I currently do not have. The key seems to be an excellent surface preparation before application, as if you don't when you lift the transfer sheet the rivets do not adhere to the model. My preparation was not perfect and although most rivets stuck to the model not all did so it looks a bit patchy and it is then very difficult to correct (or way beyond by boiling point). Then the end result is a bit underwhelming. You can see the rivets under the coat of paint but only if you put your nose three inches to the model. I guess this is super stuff for contest build but for my modest aim of filling my display case, then it is overkill. You live and learn. Anyway, I painted the bird with Mr Paint and I like the result, especially with the masked markings, but I had some rivet decals (the mikromark ones not the HGW) lifting so a number of minor correction to do. For the underwings marking I will use the kits decals, as I did not have the correct size of masks. I like the Mr. paint colors but the difference of shade between RLM70 and 71 is quite subtle it looks great in the flesh but very hard to show to good effect on the photos. Next steps is future, decals, then all the bits and bobs to glue, then weathering. It's getting there.

Shawn thanks for the offer on the pictures and sorry for not replying earlier but since I had already masked all the markings I will stick to my scheme. I read in one my reference book that the two pictures I posted + the one posted by John were the only pictures of an operational B3. If you have other pictures of operational B3, I will be most intersted.

On to the pictures:

IMG_0743-L.jpg

IMG_0745-L.jpg

IMG_0742-L.jpg

IMG_0746-L.jpg

IMG_0744-L.jpg

Thanks for following this build.

Cheers,

David

I've missed this one up until now. I like the extra details you've added like the screws and the cannon fairing, and I'm amazed by the nacelle fix. I'd never have thought of that! One to add to the arsenal for sure.

Great start with the paint. There's something about yellow theatre bands!

Guys thank you for the kind words, very much appreciated. Made some progress over the last two evenings. After giving her a generous coat of future, I applied the decals. The kit comes with a really nice sheet of decals and stencils. I added the infantry assault badge on the nose and the kill marks. Impossible to tell from the operational picture of the aircraft I am representing whether it was sporting the infantry assault badge and any kill marks, but I think they look great and the infantry assault badge is all what this bird is about: CAS, so I had to use it. I also finished the engines and epoxied them to the nacelles.

IMG_0747-L.jpg

IMG_0748-L.jpg

IMG_0754-L.jpg

IMG_0749-L.jpg

Then the fun part, I epoxied the landing gear and the wheels and dry fitted the 75mm cannon, boy she looks mean😀

IMG_0756-L.jpg

IMG_0755-L.jpg

I need now to work on the canopy and then on the weathering but we are getting there. I hope you like it.

Cheers,

David

That old cannon looks mean! The spinners look like a perfect match, painted?

Dan

Yes the spirals are painted. Painted first the spinner cone in white, masked it using Tamiya vinyl tape and a drop of Maskol for the tip, then thin coats of NATO Black.

David

• 2 weeks later...