1:32 IMCTH P-51 Mustang. 27.08.2017 Engine fitted

Fooesboy

Hey Chris!

Great to see you getting a start on your Mustang!

Love the Magnetic Polisher and I'm going to look into getting one since I'm going to building the 1/16 IMCTH Zero at some point.

Never even considered soldering the kit because of the issues you have mentioned.  If you are going to be painting your engine and other white metal parts, let me suggest the use of "gel" CA where you may have minor (or even major) gaps.  It will fill them and take a primer well and leave you with a gapless seam.  My recollection, though is that the engine fits together so well that any gaps you end up with won't even be noticed due to all of the attention being focused on the really spectacular structure of the kit.  But, of course, it's your call.

Would help you with Tamiya Mustang instructions, if I could, but I don't keep instruction sheets.  My recollection, though is that it's almost all X-18, and I did a pretty heavy weathering job on mine.

That's it for now.... You look like you've got a great handle on this.

Looking forward to your next update.

John

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Just follow John's lead and you'll be on the right path.

Over my last few builds, I've pretty much switch to using CCA as my main filler , as if doesn't shrink after drying, not only fills the gaps but add extra strength the where ever it is used. If you use, accelerator, try to sand and polish with in a half hour or so, as the CA is still a bit soft. I'm pretty lazy and normally let a few hours or days go by and then have to work a bit harder to clean up the CCA and seams. I'm also found of wet sanding the CCA ,as it keeps it from heating up and easier to sand smooth. While I have build the IMCTH Mustang ( would be shaken in my boots) I have completed 3 Tamiya P-51's the past year - nothing like a Mustang and the sound of a roaring Merlin.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

That's it for now.... You look like you've got a great handle on this.

Looking forward to your next update.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for stopping by!

All I'll say is looks can be deceiving!

Thanks for your advice Peter, but I am sure that a builder of your caliber would find this kit to be a walk in the park!

I am surprised to see this build thread so popular, but a build thread is not a build thread without pictures!

So here is how I went about experimenting with soldering the white metal.

P1030688.jpg

Here I have applied a small amount of flux, cut some small bits of solder and placed them along the joint.

P1030689.jpg

Here is the end resault, I am sure that with a bit more practice I could get this to work very well, I'm just not keen to use this kit to practice on!

P1030691.jpg

So I reverted to "plan B" 2 part 5 minute epoxy, however like all well made plans there is often something to get stuck in the works.... this time it was my epoxy had gone hard in the bottles! :doh:  (I haven't been doing any building for quite some time) :blush:

Next! "plan C" :whistle: gotta love a back up plan for your back up plan right???

Out came the thick gel CA and on with sticking some bits together finaly!!! :yahoo:

P1030692.jpg

P1030693.jpg

P1030694.jpg

P1030695.jpg

P1030696.jpg

P1030697.jpg

The parts fit is great almost like a Tamiya kit with a lot of parts will hold together without glue during the dry fitting stage.

I must say that it is quite tempting to just give the white metal a wash to highlight the detail and build it like that.

P1030698.jpg

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Edited by Fooesboy

Hi Chris, neat progress.

I must say that it is quite tempting to just give the white metal a wash to highlight the detail and build it like that.

Yes, I agree it would look extremely good but more like a pewter desk top model than a true scale replica.

Looking to more updates.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm glad you are enjoying the thread.

I haven't gotten much done today, mostly head scratching and a bit of reading through the instructions and trying to visualize the steps ahead. A trup to the LHS (an hour away) was called for and I was looking forward to having a good ol spend up on some paints and other supplies, imangine my dissapointment when NOTHING could catch my interest.  :fight: all I came home with was a 1/2 oz bottle of medium CA....

I have decided that I will leave the engine build at this point and wait until I have recieved my Tamiya Mustang, instead I will continue with the wing construction.

Now when I look at the steps ahead I see the need for a lot of handling of the wing assemblies so I thought that a basic jig was in order, so that I would only hold onto the jig and not the PE, aslo this will alow me to stand the assembly on its side when applying the CA.

I made them out of a bit of 18mm MDF with a couple of bits of .5mm ply for the hold downs and some screws stolen from mr RC stuff, then I covered the MDF with some PTFE tape so that if (should that be when) some CA finds its way under the PE then it won't be stuck to the board. It sure would suck to twist the wing trying to cut it free....

P1030699.jpg

P1030700.jpg

I did manage to pick up a bunch of plastic containers to store the sub assemblies in while the model is being built.

P1030701.jpg

All the white metal bits for the wings ready to go into the magnetic polisher tomorrow.

P1030702.jpg

I'm trying smaller photos to help the thread load faster, I would like to hear what you guys prefer, or should I just post less photos? :innocent:

Edited by Fooesboy

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Very nice idea with using jigs to make handling easier. I followed John's three builds very closely and what struck me the most was his organization and meticulous care in preparing for each step.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Well the jigs have proven to be a waist of a couple of hours!

Although they hold the wings well I have discovered the the bottom of the wing is curved so they have been abandoned. :BANGHEAD2:

Gluing the spars onto the lower piece has proven to be even more difficult that I first thought. The location tabs are vauge at best, both left to right as well as forwards and backwards resaulting with a wing I was not very happy with.  The wing ribs then did not line up as well as I had managed to get superglue everywhere....  :frantic:

P1030703.jpg

So a quick bath in some acetone and I had a bunch of bits again.  (Thanks John for the tips in your build threads)

P1030704.jpg

Next time around I had an idea of how everything should line up. Now it's not perfect but it will do for me.

P1030705.jpg

P1030706.jpg

Hope that I'm not boring everyone... I'm having a blast! :popcorn:

Edited by Fooesboy

FWIW I'd think that as many updates and photos as possible would be appreciated by one and all.

It's far from boring. In fact I'd say it was fascinating. The opportunites for anyone into mega detailing seem boundless.

Imagine running all of the wiring and pipework through that etched skeleton. It would be a huge undertaking but the end result would be astonishing. Even a partially clad model would be an option. If thin metal sheet was used on one half of the model a colour scheme could be added while still revealing all of the exquisite interior detailing.

Great stuff, please keep it up Chris.

Cheers.