Cleaning Yo Airbrush

dodgem37

We all use various implements with which to clean our airbrush.  I use the following:

718Wq7w5BmL._SL1500_.jpg

Wow!  That's big!  The smallest brush fits into the nozzle screw opening and cleans extremely well.

But I also found this/these:

Betweenteethcleaning2.jpg

The handled one is re-usable with stiff bristles, much like the ringed brushes above.  The white plastic one has soft 'rubber' bristles and is disposable.

I just thought they may be of interest.

Sincerely,

Mark

I use both including these below which I buy locally in Aus.. In the US you should be able to pick up GUM products at your drug store.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes they are Kev. There are many different types etc. I find similar to the photo above really good for both my H&S and Iwata brushes. I buy the above for about $7.00 Aus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also use the 2 smaller brushes in the upper picture. All the other ones are too big. Be careful if you use it with "hard" thinner/cleaner,  as i destroyed numerous seals in my Harder & Stenbeck airbrushes. Now i always remove them before using the brushes.

I have some of the Gum stuff but i never tried them to clean my AB. But they are very useful if you have something stuck between your theeth !

Generally if Ive been switching back and forth between paint mediums, I go with acetone. It evaporates SO quickly, that after you get done blowing things out, it generally doesnt leave any residue that I have seen, and completely tackles acrylic, lacquer and enamel with ease. 

Generally if Ive been switching back and forth between paint mediums, I go with acetone. It evaporates SO quickly, that after you get done blowing things out, it generally doesnt leave any residue that I have seen, and completely tackles acrylic, lacquer and enamel with ease. 

Except the spanish type of water based acrylics. That stuff is a real PITA to clean up when it's gone dry, or even worst : mixed with alcohol. (i say "mixed", but actually it just doesnt mix, that's precisely the problem ! :) )

Speaking of "hard" thinners, does anyone know what the Testors "Dried acrylic paint solvent" is? It is about the only thing that will remove dried acrylic. Is it run of the mill lacquer thinner or something else?

I don't know, but here is their website's MSDS with all the solvents  in that product listed:

https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/50497A.pdf