Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

I am totally exhausted just looking at the amount of "stuff" and that's not Including the kit items..........best part of 1000 odd parts?

Iain you are a very brave man........i think I'll wait till I am retired to start one of these.......Bismark would be my choice......

And a set of 4 propellers - 2 l/h and 2 r/h rotation.

IMG_9780_zpsc7ldzsqs.jpg

I'll probably end up painting these as they're a bit shiny, as well as having some areas I want to smooth off.

Iain

Hi Ian,

From what I've read, the propellers are brass plated.

I ordered a second sheet #5 direct from Pontos, not sure if I will use it or just go with the smaller funnel as kitted by Trumpeter. Everywhere I have looked I cannot find an extra funnel sprue and I'm not too keen on splashing out another $100.00 USD for a shapeways one. Guess I'll make that decision once I get to that step in the build.

Hi Chris,

I was going to just make a mould and cast a copy of the parts for the front one in resin - until someone pointed out that spares were available from Trumpeter.

You never know - they may become available again at some point, the next time Trumpeter run off another batch of kits?

Probably reasonably easy to just cut the rear funnel parts in two vertically and add plastic sheet inserts to make up to correct size - most of the body is skinned anyway.

Iain

Looking at the hull plating on my kit, I'm not so sure that Trumpeter have over done it "that" much.

Take a look at the 5th and 6th photo on this website http://www.navy.gov.au/history/feature-histories/yachtsman-and-mighty-hood I as going to just post the photo but photo bucket doesn't work for me today :doh: 

I am thinking about using a hi-build automotive spray filler / primer and sanding back to the high points.... does that make sense???

Completely filling and then using primer might not give enough relief.

They are pronounced - but not nearly as much as the kit IMHO - especially at the bow...

I definitely want to reduce the prominence and current plan is use the high-build filler primer after I've got it filled and masked for the plates.

I did think of using from the off - but using body filler first and get smooth first will be easiest I recon. I can get quite an edge/raise with filler primer and masking.

But still pondering...

From the Hood Association site:

ap507c6_zpsqmhnrjnb.jpg

And a general view further back - taken on the Empire Cruise (I love this image):

5Oc2fUD_zpsclwnkylv.jpg

Night folks!I

Iain

The photos that Chris mentioned (Royal Australian Navy images)

HMS%20Hood_zpszg1kxqky.jpg

HMS%20Hood%20Image%201_zpszkfbarrc.jpg

Just found another two (albeit small) more from National Archives of Scotland, via Hood Association which might be useful:

hoodstern_zpsxogzxpkw.jpg

hoodlaunch_zpsicfd7r53.jpg

Will do some more head-scratching before I wade in...

Iain

Iain................... wow, this is incredible, and my hat is off to you for even attempting this, seems very daunting, BUT I know you will do the kit justice, and what a fine tribute to the Crew of the Mighty Hood this will be..... when complete , it should be in a museum for all to see and reflect..... I will be watching this with extreme interest...... how long is this kit, ( in feet and inches, I don't do mm's very well....................  'M&M's yes............. just not mm's) )

I feel bad I still haven't finished the Missouri...

I need that Hood Pontos set for my Hood!   Which I may build after the Nelson.  Or not.

Looking great!

Tim W.