Israeli P-51D Mustang *Completed*

BradG

I know, a bit late to start but better late than never. I've had this kit in the stash for 10 years or so. Dad picked it up at a swap and sell because he wanted the metal drop tanks, but it was missing the spinner and prop. Looking at the stash I pulled this out and wondered what I was going to do with it, cos I figured I'd never build it I did contemplate just pitching it in the bin. I thought that was probably a waste. I found in my spares some prop blades from what looks like an old Monogram Mustang which means it's spare parts from my old man's kit building days and probably older than me. I plea for parts has Wumm coming to my rescue with a spare spinner (thanks a lot mate) so here I am.

Detail on these kits is pretty sparse (you do get a basic engine and machine guns though), with the cockpit being rather basic and raised detail on the surface. I'm not going to put any type of resin interior in as it would probably be 50 bucks for one and it's just not worth it. I will use it as a bit of an exercise in re-scribing and I might scratch a little detail here and there, we'll see how things go. I'll build it as white 19, albeit in better days than shown in the picture.

P1010014_zps2f6bbd4c.jpg

P1010012_zpsb6eaeef3.jpg

P1010013_zps59506cb9.jpg

ol205_zps7f8e23f8.jpg

Edited by BradG

Guest Peterpools

Brad

Great choice for the GB. I remember back in the day when the kit first came out and caused quite a stir - times have sure changed. Looking forward to following your Mustang build with great interest, as having just finished my Mustang, the juices are still in the blood.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I just cannot understand this tendency to throw away complete kits. Even if you cannot use it yourself for parts give it to some youth group or the Boy Scouts or some group like that. The old kits are good for beginners as it lets them learn and make their early mistakes on a low value kit.

Not every modeler seeks maximum detail and accuracy. Many of us just like to make the model and make our changes in it  and really could not care at all about the panels and rivets and interiors. That is like throwing away a well running older automobile because it does not have all the latest bells and whistles of the new cars.

The late Larry Hawkins and David Thompson kept everything in their parts boxes. These excellent modelers both loved to kit-bash model planes into works of art using partial kits and their parts boxes. 

Stephen

I'm just going to mask and paint them on Iain. I'm still kinda up in the air on the colours. I know they say blue and light sand over light grey, but this pic makes me wonder, with the added question of what has the sun done to the colours after so many years?

Mustangwhite73_zpsd66dba61.png

Well - decals are yours if you want them - just ping me your snail mail addy and I'll pop them in the post.

Or if you just want the info - email addy and I'll scan the instruction sheets and fire over  :)

They're very well researched and come with quite a bit of information on the instructions.

The colours Sky list are:

Brown - RAL8000/FS30215

Blue - RAL5008/FS35053

Grey - RAL7044/FS37722

Iain

A bit of mucking around while watching the cricket today. As you can see the interior is not even that accurate let alone detailed. The seat looks like it's for a 'plus size' pilot.

P1010001_zps773fc390.jpg

Edited by BradG

Wings are together, sanded down and some rivet work done around the lower sections that were not  filled in. A little more rescribing to do but that will be done when the fuselage is attached. Also the upper cowling has been cleaned up and rescribed.

P1010004_zps1f641287.jpg

P1010003_zps5e38e6b8.jpg

P1010002_zps82a7887d.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Brag

Nice progress on the Old 'Stang. And to think, in it;s day, this was the cutting edge of kit design... Yup me and the 2000 Year Old Man use to hang out together

Peter