• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Azgaron

Azgaron

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Awesome build Carl! It turned out great! I hope your son and brother in law got a nice b-day!

Håkan

#62 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Awesome work Carl!

Any suggestions of things you might tell someone else to do differently than you did on this same build when they do it? What's your plan for your next build?

If you have no plans for the decals for your other Mk. VIIIs can I purchase the U.S. insignia portion off of them from you? I love Recon birds and cross dressed birds from WWII those that classify as both are even better. I plan to do two of these PR XI eventually but as of now only have one Mk VIII Spitfire kit, the rest I have are Mk. IXs. I also want to do two or three USAAF captured Zeros with the Tamiya kits. I've got my work cut out for me I know, and it won't happen real fast especially with me building a few Recon Mustangs and a recon Bf 109 in there too. Let me know if you would like to sell the decals and what you would like for them if you do and I'll most likely go for it.

Cheers!

Brady

#63 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:08 AM

Congrats on the great build Carl.   You have inspired me to get the conversion soon.  May build along with Harvey. :coolio:

It also goes with are foreign markings build.  :yahoo:

Awesome build Carl! It turned out great! I hope your son and brother in law got a nice b-day!

Håkan

Thanks for the compliments Vandy and Hakan! My son had a great b-day and I'm fairly certain my brother in law enjoyed his just as much. Well, maybe he didn't bury his face in the cake but close enough :)

Awesome work Carl!

Any suggestions of things you might tell someone else to do differently than you did on this same build when they do it? What's your plan for your next build?

If you have no plans for the decals for your other Mk. VIIIs can I purchase the U.S. insignia portion off of them from you? I love Recon birds and cross dressed birds from WWII those that classify as both are even better. I plan to do two of these PR XI eventually but as of now only have one Mk VIII Spitfire kit, the rest I have are Mk. IXs. I also want to do two or three USAAF captured Zeros with the Tamiya kits. I've got my work cut out for me I know, and it won't happen real fast especially with me building a few Recon Mustangs and a recon Bf 109 in there too. Let me know if you would like to sell the decals and what you would like for them if you do and I'll most likely go for it.

Cheers!

Brady

Thanks Brady,

I think the biggest advice would be to start with a MkVIII kit. From there, make sure when you do the ventral camera ports to not glue the wings and fuselage together. Lastly, the canopy fit needs a lot of attention. If you can, I would maybe even suggest using the provided one as a mould for a heat formed one from acetate. It would almost certainly be clearer. Or if you're brave, you could try sanding it thinner and then polishing it.

As for the Stars and Bars decals, PM me your address and I'll send them to you. If postage is crazy for some reason, then that's all I would ask for. I'm planning to build a couple more recce Spitfires as well. Both will be FR IXs, one in PRU pink and partial invasion stripes. The other will be in the standard day Fighter scheme and will be a field modified one used by the RCAF. Aviaeology recently released a decal set for the last one.

Carl 

#64 Nick32

Nick32

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Fantastic build, and i really enjoyed following along. 

Looking forward to your next one, 

Nick

#65 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Carl,

She looks pretty impressive.

brilliant.. HELLUVA BEAUTY...
Are you gonna take outside pics if the weather is fine. :whistle:
:wub:

:bow:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#66 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Sorry I missed the finish on this one Carl..........It looks LOVELY!

Once you get the new pics taken post them here, and Ill upload to the Foreign or Captured GB gallery.

Edited by Out2gtcha, 07 May 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#67 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:38 AM

Fantastic build, and i really enjoyed following along. 
Looking forward to your next one, 
Nick

Thank you Nick! I've started an F-5C in the Vietnam GB and am still working on the F-16 for this one.

Carl,
She looks pretty impressive.
brilliant.. HELLUVA BEAUTY...
Are you gonna take outside pics if the weather is fine. :whistle:
:wub:

Thanks Maru, I'm glad you like it. It looks great next to the other two Tamiya Spitfire in my display case.
I've been waiting for some nice weather here. It wasn't too bad today although a bit windy so I managed to get a couple pics. I'll post them shortly.

Sorry I missed the finish on this one Carl..........It looks LOVELY!

Once you get the new pics taken post them here, and Ill upload to the Foreign or Captured GB gallery.

Thanks Brian! I'll have them up shortly. It's nice to finally finish a GB.

Carl
  • Nick32 likes this

#68 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:09 AM

Found a card reader so here are my pics:

06085a24-c873-4572-a210-a0c069eb151d.jpg

053.jpg

3588ffc8-87b1-4c55-96f4-f3ec100aba76.jpg

1f64ca84-4e70-4648-8fdf-a9ebfec43c5f.jpg

The invasion stripes:

049674b7-27cb-41bc-9ec3-151c3539e882.jpg

With her shelfmate:

d103dcd3-3733-446a-91ee-94700cdedf7d.jpg

• MARU5137 and Nick32 like this

#69 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

Wow Carl!

We think a lot alike, only you have the time to build them...lol. I have every intention of building an American Recon Spitfire Johnny Johnson's Beer Spitfire and "Tolly Hello". Did you use Tamiya's Mk. IX kit for your " Tolly Hello" too? Whether you did or not, they're both beautiful. Good job.

Brady

#70 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Brady!

Tolly Hello is the Tamiya Mk IX kit. I used the Zotz decal sheet for it and Brunhilde, Johnny Johnson's Mk XIV.

So the beer Spitfire would be a natural fit but I need to finish my Grey Nurse build and the FR IX first.

I received your PM and will get the decals out to you next week. They're at my folks place and I'll pick them up Sunday.

Carl

#71 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Great work Carl!  I really like the look of the invasion stripes on the PR blue -

Heres a linkie to the FoC GB gallery entry:

http://forum.largesc...300#entry565226

#72 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Carl,,

MAGIC. ..Looks So WICKED!!

:wow: :bow: :wub:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tamiya, Ali Cat, Spitfire, PR XI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users