• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,225 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Paint spitting isn't normal and there is definitely a problem. What paint/thinners are you using and ratios? Normally when the paints spits, it's too thick and collects at the tip of the gun and when enough paint has accumulated at the tip, the air brush will spit it onto the model. If the paint is spitting 100% of the time; the paint isn't mixed well or bad paint or the air brush is the problem.

My normal shooting at 12-15 "working pressure"

Tamiya paint: Thinned with Tamiya Yellow Cap thinner: 60 parts thinner to 40 parts paint.

Model master Enamels:  40% MM Thinner to 60% paint and sometimes 30/70.

Iwata HP-CS Eclipse

I also shoot very close to the model - no more the 1-2 inches from the surface

How bad is the humidity when you paint?

I'm starting to think it's your air brush. Do some testing with you Neo and see what happens.

Good luck

Peter

• MARU5137 likes this

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#32 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

IMAG0386.jpgIMAG0391.jpgIMAG0390.jpgIMAG0384.jpgIMAG0389.jpgIMAG0385.jpgIMAG0074.jpgoops how that get there?Hey Peter,

I know, HUUH?   I am in agreement with you ,except my working pressure is 30--40 and has been cause I get spatter at 20, and don't know why?

All the things you do, I do, at a higher psi.......................................I guess I'm in an "Off By THAT Much" !  world, but this is Louisiana..............voodoo that who do!

Bought new compressor Sparmax Airstream from Hob Lob with 40% OFF coupon and broke out the Neo and pulled my hair out til I realized that  

the flat acrylic is drying in the tip...........now I remember another reason why I don't use acrylics........much........and needed needle adjustment, but still at 40

but will experiment with a old" Revell Paint experiment".and get on the right track.  I'm just curious why I cannot seem to get lower psi without spatter as

I know there are advantages to low psi, but 30--40 has worked for me for years.  Twilight Zone !!!

I think I'll get out 1 of my British Lightnings  with a 3 gray camo, blue tail Lightning Training Flight F3

I'll post the flat coat pics soon

• MARU5137 likes this

bddb4135-4c76-4763-a001-43cedb78b2fa.jpgGonna get back to this ...One of These Days

#33 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Excellent progress. :clap2:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#34 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

I like it...

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#35 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

IMAG0405.jpgThank You MARU,   Well it's 6 am Saturday,3 hrs before Game Time and I'am calling her DONE and take her to the SHOW.

I'm not realty happy with the dull coat as now having trouble with  "white specks, but don't have time to

f        fool with it . I'll post pics after today   Gotta GO !!      I love contest as long as it's not mine.IMAG0406.jpgIMAG0413.jpgIMAG0395.jpg

bddb4135-4c76-4763-a001-43cedb78b2fa.jpgGonna get back to this ...One of These Days

#36 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,225 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Jack

Terrific work on the Hunter fit and finish looks great - just a great cammo job!

The lower the psi, the more control you have over the air/paint flow, the closer you can be to the model for a more precise you can be with your painting. Acrylics have a larger sized pigment then enamels and require a bit higher psi but I still shoot them at 12-15 psi. have you used the Iwata yet? easiest test with acrylics: thin 60  parts (Tamiya yellow cap X-20A Thinner) to 40 parts (Tamiya paint). Set your regulator at 20 psi and then do a test. press the trigger down all the way and see what the psi drops to; should be about 15-17 psi. Get close to the test model and paint a few smooth lines. You shouldn't have any spitting at all. If the paint is starting to collect at the tip, it isn't thin enough for your conditions.

Let us know how you make out

Peter

• JohnB likes this

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#37 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hey Peter,   Yes I broke out the Iwata and used it to spray more Testors  Dull Coat and will use it on the next project.....EE Lightning F3 maybe

I want to get back to my B-17, but want to continue to airbrush to work this out so I guess 2 projects at once will keep me CRAZY.....aka Normal!

Hunter scored a second place out of 2.......count em' 2  entries........The guy's F-18 opened up and all things hanging was GORGEOUS!!!!

Ifeel pretty good for not having built and completed a kit in over a year and did this in a little over 3 weeks and it looks great with my Baghdad Fury.

Yes Peter I will work with your suggestions  and figure it out but I know that if I have problems I can revert to old habits LOL

In a few days I'll get my table cleaned and organize the 2 kits at once, but I,m leaning to the Lightning for paint and cause I love that airplane

Thanks You for the Kind Words

Jack

• MARU5137 and Whitey like this

#38 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,225 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Jack

Congrats! A win is a win no matter what and just the fact that you entered and participated is all that counts. Keep us in the loop on your air brushing progress and hopefully all will work out

Peter

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#39 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thank You Peter,

Now I have to get off my butt and take some pictures to post as finished,but weather stinks and I want to do some outside shots.

Will do so when weather breaks

Jack

#40 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,225 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Jack

Looking forward to the Ready For Inspection photos

Peter

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#41 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Weather still stinks but supposed to get some sun later   try to get the RFI pics done

stay tuned

#42 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Finally got some outside shots.....some better than others...........could not resist putting my

Abu Dhabi Hunter and my Baghdad Fury together..............2 Brit aircraft......same camo colors.......Middle East UsersIMAG0520.jpgIMAG0514.jpgIMAG0504.jpgIMAG0537.jpglook in the GB  Foreign markings for a few more pics

• MARU5137 and Whitey like this

#43 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 40,071 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Nice Jack. And much better photos too!

Kev

#44 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,225 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Jack

Terrific work on the Hunter, as she came across the line with flying colors, and the dual aircraft photos are really a nice touch.

So very well done

Peter

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#45 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:10 AM

Thank You Kev..If I could get some consistency I would be happier, but since I paid $25 at the pawn shop I really can't complain,

Went camera shopping tonight.

Thank You Peter...I just couldn't resist putting then together.....Just l like both a/c and the desert camo

Well my first GB period I have never done it before

Jack

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: desert, hunter, revell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users