I can't believe what a good job you made of that instrument panel, Peter. It actually looks good!
Jump to content
Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:47 AM
You doing this old kit justice for sure!
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
When I die, I'll be on time
Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:31 AM
You are definitely transforming this old kit! The cockpit looks especially effective.
Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:53 PM
This update is later than planned, but this doesn't mean that nothing had happended in the meantime.
The Dauntless got its first layer of primer.
I always use Revell 75, thinned with approximately30% laquer thinner, 15% white spirit and 15% turpentine.
It looked like this:
...but closer inspection revealed blemishes like this:
So that meant filling and sanding etc... until it looked like this:
The engine cowling was rescribed and the dive flaps were sanded as well:
After a final coat of grey, I decided to install the landing gear now, because it will have the same colour as the lower side.
Because the G-Factor gear legs are designed for the Trumpy kit, I had to improvise an attachment into the wheel wells.
On the original, the main gear is hinged on a long pivot at the rear of the legs, which is attached to the main spars of the wing.
A construction similar to the Fw190 and the P-51. The wheel well is just an empty void above the gear legs.
Well, not on this model!
I went for something not prototypical but sturdy:
Little boxes were made from little pieces of plastic strip to provide some strength here and to ensure easy alignment of the gear struts.
These were installed with super glue:
The alignment of the wheels was checked quickly and found to be OK:
The protruding foot of the tail wheel had to be sanded away from the fuselage because it did not correspond with the G-factor tail wheel fairing (by the way, the original hinges into the fuselage when loaded).
After that, the tail wheel leg was glued on with superglue.
Now a final coat of grey to blend everything in and off to the paint shop for some colour!
Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:04 AM
Completed WiP: Erich Hartmann, Bf109G-14
Idle WiP: Fw190A-5 Black 7, 1/25th IDF Sho't, c.1982, Bf109K-4, I./KG (J)6, Bohemia, Hungarian Bf109G-14, Bf109F-4/Z Trop,, Shelf of DOOM!: Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex , IDF AH-1 Tzefa F, Werfer-Granate 21's,
Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:13 PM
Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:47 PM
Coming along swimmingly indeed! Starting to look much more Dauntless like now.
Looking forward to paint
Current Project(s) : F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946 | Icaerodesign Extra 330-SC N73KG
Best of Past Builds : Wilhelm Hipperts Jasta 74 "Mimmie | Kitty Hawk T-28 B/D Trojan | Kitty Hawk OS2U Kingfisher | A6M2-N "Rufe" | Kitty Hawk OV-10A VAL-4 | Kitty Hawk OV-10D Bronco | WnW Sopwith Snipe - 17Sqn | Fw-190 A8 R/2 Sturmbock | HKM Foiled B-25J Strafer | WnW AMC DH-2 | 1/24th CHC II Beaver | ZM A1-H SPAD | Has Foiled RAAF P-40E | SU-30 MKK Flanker
Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:36 PM
Work continued last weekend.
First, the engine cowling was taped in place temporarily.
Then, the grey Revell 75 primer coat was restored to get an even finish.
After drying, the underside and the flap interiors got a white coat.
I used Revell satin white enamel for this.
This paint does not yellow, covers quickly and results in an even coat.
I made sure I avoided an even white coat to keep things interesting:
It was followed by Intermediate Blue.
For this I used Humbrol 144 enamel.
The centres of several panels got a lighter sheen by spraying the same colour lightened with a little white,
resulting in this:
Finally, the interiors of the dive flaps got a layer of red.
For this I used Revell satin red enamel:
It looks a bit pink in the picture, but trust me, it is red.
Next weekend, the Gloss Sea Blue will be added to the topsides. For this I plan to use the one from Sovereign models (formerly WEM) colorcoats.
Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:56 PM
Today the Sea Blue was added.
Not gloss, because the colorcoats paint is matt.
It works perfectly, though.
The pattern was sprayed freehand.
I also lightened the panel centres a little bit by adding a little white to the Sea Blue.
Now the Dauntless looks like this:
A gloss coat will be added tomorrow.
Then I'll decide if I'm happy with the colour variation or if some blending in will be required.
Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:26 PM
Last week 2 gloss coats were added.
I was happy with the colour variations of the paint job.
Then, the model was rubbed down to smooth the paint.
It was followed by a third gloss coat.
I used Alclad Aqua Gloss for this.
The Dauntless now looks like this:
It's now ready for decals.
I'm currently busy with painting the engine, figures etc.
More pictures soon.
Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:46 PM
looks great, nice work on the blues
I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users