Dragon/ AIMS 1/32 Messerschmitt BF110 G-4 2Z+GB Stab 1./NJG6..........Finished!!

monthebiff

Well done Andy - remember that 2Z+GB has a windscreen wiper fitted at the end of your build

Thanks John, i have a mental note to fit this at the end of the build along with a few other small fragile parts that I will break if I fit before hand!

Regards. Andy

not having looked, are the windscreen washer parts in the kit(s) or from scratch?

In regards to the wiper arm, I just recently came across a great photo of it, quite prominent.

Hi Shawn, the winscreen washer pipework and clips I scratched but John supplies the wiper arm as an etched part in his conversion kit which makes life a little easier, as you say.......al quite prominent.

Regards. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

So after much deliberation and wondering how to deal with the vac form rear canopy on this build and after trying various materials to replicate the inner framing I settled on square plastic stock and after a few hours I have ended up with this.

20180426_165151.jpg

I figured that if this went pear shaped then I still had the spare uncut vac piece left in my conversion as this was the oringinal part I cut out when I was working on getting the SM installed in the cockpit. Fairly happy with how it has turned out and certainly gives the piece far move rigidity and definately drops on to the cockpit opening a lot easier.

Also been working on the MG81Z set up, I removed the resin barrels and replaced with Master items and then added a few more bits and pieces from the spares box as well as some of the supplied etched brass parts from the conversion.

20180426_164155.jpg

Still need to add the sights but these wont go on until final construction, finally this afternoon I have done a test fit of the main canopy parts and to my relief all fitting nicely together.

20180426_164738.jpg

20180426_164812.jpg

Looks a little messy in a few areas but when everything is masked up and painted RLM 66 before final fitting things should look just fine. Contemplating giving the rear canopy a dip in future this evening before I get to that though?

Regards. Andy
Edited by monthebiff

Now that is looking pretty good Andy, I think you've probably "cracked" (using the word figuratively of course!!) the best method of treating the vac section.  I look forward to further developments and instruction. :)

Ah yes Max, the dreaded Dragon clear parts that crack by just looking at them the wrong way!! As you mentioned over on your 110 build it is pretty dificult to have the whole canopy glazing completely uniform on the G-4 conversion but actually I think built up it is not bad at all.

Regards. Andy

Great stuff, Andy! The relative positions of the S-M and the MG guns is very interesting.  I like what you did with the framing on the vac canopy... very delicate work.  How do you glue the framing in without glue marks?

Thanks for checking by John, The vac canopy has some very subtle frame lines inside from the process just perfect to fit the plastic stock in to, I then used the capillary action of Tamiya Extra Thin applied with a very fine brush. One piece of frame at a time so slow progress.

Regards. Andy

Well that is just amazing and the reason in my opinion why vac clear parts are best in 1 32nd - scale perfect, hard work but scale perfect, SM going through 1mm drilled holes - nooooooooooooooo!

Agree with you there John, Those large holes for the SM would look pretty ugly if the canopy was an injection moulded part, the Dragon clear parts are pretty thin but the vac works better when you compare with pictures of the real thing.

Andy remember the interior framing that only has srcews on the outside - you need to add this also

Still wondering how to go about that one John, I also wanted to replicate the screw recesses on the inner frames but the plastic stock was to thin to make it look good, if I went to the a larger size plastic stock then it did not mant to conform to the curves of the frame so I left it as is.

Regards. Andy