I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Canberra plans:

For this sort of build, you need plans and good ones!

By what I understand,  Tigger doesn't have these plans either, so if anyone here needs copies of these for their own B - 20 bubble canopy version ..... please massage me and i will shoot you a set.

Now this is becoming very intimate, Phil ... ;)

Hubert

• 1 month later...

Time to play!

Now I have my lathe up and going and all the tools and accessories in place .... I can begin with the jet intakes!

First a study of intakes :

GQP3iih.jpg?1

I did this 'rough' drawing to show the shape and contours of the intakes and what i am aiming to do!

The ducting is not straight lines but raised edges  (red dotted lines)  which I have to emulate in my master

Qfb9hxz.png

syLmprF.jpg?1

The 3 canisters are the starter cartridges which are basically explosives!... talk about a 'Kick-start!

GG8H5uu.jpg

This is the Start-up of a Canberra with the starter-cartridges in action! 

S9Yvrrt.jpg?1

...Now a study of lathe to make my Master part....

The Seig Lathe I have recently purchased - I  found to be a wonderful machine, though mine is a hobby-based model (not the industrial types) it still totally suits my purposes.

I found it had some issues which I corrected as i worked and experimented with it... I had to purchase a few more accessories and tools... but for what I had to do - was very much needed...

SlDme6S.jpg?1

This is a 'must have' accessory of a quick-change tool-post.... The standard tool-post (to right) comes with machine,  is very fiddly and takes a lot of time,  changing from one cutting tool to the other.. 

1sORVlw.jpg?1

​....here, you just change the black cutting-tool holder (1 of 4 supplied) from one to the other, in no time flat. My job here needed at least x 50 tool changes (going from cutting tool to the other -

then back again) because of the complexity of the shape I was trying to get into the intake.... so the Quick-change tool-post is well worth it - believe me!

mQViETq.jpg?1

KIjAoA3.jpg?1

Lq03uZ3.jpg?1

This cutting tool I call the Wombat - for obvious reasons! it chews through the PVC  like it was butter!

Edited by Piprm

.... Continued: 

Yep!.. the Wombat doesn't stuff about!

SFG80rM.jpg?1

hDbrG1h.jpg?1

Another 'must-have' a profiler cutting tool!

kgOOa5w.jpg?1

.. a better view of the profiler cutting tool, as well as the adjustment available on the quick-change tool holder

OpOE6DS.jpg?1

The white piece is a very rough hand-made first master,  to gauge size and shapes needed and particularly 'fit' into the cowling - as drawings are helpful but not everything to go by...

0aCW0cN.jpg?1

fIA4vwm.jpg?1

pCH3rdT.jpg?1

Yep! ... I'm happy with fit and look of part!   :thumbsup: 

Back on lathe to finish it off....

vfPBTdi.jpg?1

ImnxkYe.jpg?1

iwC80QA.jpg?2

Moment of Truth! :fight:

7E2XKJl.jpg?1

.... You can just make-out the raised inner-ring on front inner-edge  on part

Edited by Piprm

Final Phase : 

A Cut 'n' Polish.....

1CEpiXR.jpg?1

Though hard to see , because of dark plastic part - the inner-ring or raised lip is there...

.....now for the sweaty bit - Does it fit ????

ROgce2a.jpg?1

UCKknI9.jpg?1

4paOH4r.jpg?1

ii8KoXt.jpg?1

Thank God for that!..... it fits and looks 'right'!  :lol:

Edited by Piprm

Great work - you definitely master your lathe! Please allow me a comment, though: I don't know the Canberra very well, but seeing your air intake compared with the photo of the real thing in the background, the proportions look pretty different. The spinner seems to be much smaller in diameter compared with the ring around the intake on the real a/c and the engine housings look more straight than on the model. Is it possible that the air intake ring is too small in diameter on your model, caused by the overemphasized curvature of the engine nacelle underside?  

Great work - you definitely master your lathe! Please allow me a comment, though: I don't know the Canberra very well, but seeing your air intake compared with the photo of the real thing in the background, the proportions look pretty different. The spinner seems to be much smaller in diameter compared with the ring around the intake on the real a/c and the engine housings look more straight than on the model. Is it possible that the air intake ring is too small in diameter on your model, caused by the overemphasized curvature of the engine nacelle underside?  

Yeah I thought that too, after I saw the photos up on the thread...... but the photos can play games with the eye, especially dark parts on white backgrounds... in reality,  looking at the model part in place in strong light.... the gaps are right... but looking at the photos and the angle shown, the dark part makes the intake openings look much smaller then it actually is! ....(the model intake is placed closer then the photo in background ) for comparison ....

Maybe I should take another photo looking straight on, to show you what I mean...

Pip

cKbqtEd.jpg?1

EDRUDyG.png?1

Again - not quite right view angle - (can't find photo straight on!) but I think it shows the intake comparison a bit more - shall we say - fairly....

Edited by Piprm

It's very hard to tell from the photos you have taken - we have had a similar discussion regarding the comparison between real a/c photos and model photos in the Revell F-14 thread.

It still looks to me like the spinner is too big in diameter, but this can be caused by the distortion due to the very short focal length the pic of your model was taken with. I trust you can judge better than me if the proportions are right as you have the model on hand and way more knowledge about the Canberra than me.

It's very hard to tell from the photos you have taken - we have had a similar discussion regarding the comparison between real a/c photos and model photos in the Revell F-14 thread.

It still looks to me like the spinner is too big in diameter, but this can be caused by the distortion due to the very short focal length the pic of your model was taken with. I trust you can judge better than me if the proportions are right as you have the model on hand and way more knowledge about the Canberra than me.

Yeah you are right ... angles / focal lengths and cone shapes = distortions

But the parts are still a 'work in progress' ...so what is shown here is a parts making and test - fit only..... the parts are by no means - complete.

though, I always listen to your comments and advise or observations, as it all helps in long-run to build a better model... 

Pip

Edited by Piprm