Revell HE-219 Build: So it Begins...

Uncarina

I've read the production, release, and reviews of this kit with great interest. I built the Tamiya kit, and the history and aesthetics of this plane meant that it was a matter of time before I got this kit and started it. What I've done so far:

1) Reshaped the propellors at the base with Milliput

IMG_7749_zpsdc31b6b2.jpg

2) Added the RB Cowl Flaps:

IMG_7748_zps617486a5.jpg

3) Modified the seats:

IMG_7746_zps8f8f9784.jpg

IMG_7747_zps9afdc467.jpg

4) Added the Eduard Cockpit Photoetch Set:

IMG_7741_zps370e5b88.jpg

IMG_7738_zpsf86e5f6b.jpg

IMG_7739_zpse0ccfd79.jpg

IMG_7742_zps25703f73.jpg

I've now attached the fuselage halves and the dorsal and ventral panels. Note that the ventral panel attaches at points not corresponding to panel lines according to the Valiant Wings drawings and pics, so a little filling and rescribing is in order. So far I've very much enjoyed the build and fit.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Nice one Tom. Your improvements look good, and you're progressed very nicely already! Can't wait to see more. Hoping to get one of these kits myself some day.Kev

Kev, Thanks! The plastic is easy to sand and scribe, and I've enjoyed seeing all of the completed builds.

Cockpit looks absolutely fantastic - really fine work !

Thomas, Thanks so much! The cockpit is an easy build, but I did modify the seats, especially the pilot's, since the shape under the headrest needed reshaping.

Great start Tom.

Have you decided on a scheme yet?

Steve

Steve, Thanks! Option 81, the obscure version with the NAXOS. I have yet to find any photos however.

Very Nice work so far Tom! Cant wait to see more as you go along.

All the best to you and your build,

Paul

Paul, thanks so much. I've very much enjoyed seeing your JU 88 progress, part of what inspired me to proceed!

Cheers,

Tom

Teutonic King,

I have the Eduard belts for the Stuka: virtually identical to their set for the HE-219 but ~ $10 cheaper! I like how they look on my Stuka.

John, Thanks! Way to go on your Special Hobby build!

Cheers,

Tom

Mark,

Thanks! More work today on sanding and rescribing the ventral fuselage. Soon on to the dorsal surface, then wings. I'm striving to keep a balance of improving the kit and not getting bogged down too much in the details. Pics to follow soon.

Cheers,

Tom

I have to say I've really been enjoying this build. The size and aesthetics of this plane have made it fun, and the plastic has been very easy to work with; it is soft enough to sand and scribe easily.

I've closed the fuselage and added the ventral and dorsal panels. Note that the ventral panel does not correspond to panel lines, and some panel lines should be removed. The first pic shows the outline of the ventral panel on the plane, and the access panels; note that the front piece with the cannon ports is integral with the rest of the panel:

IMG_7760_zpsd341bad6.jpg

I should mention that I filled the middle two cannon ports, and I'm planning to add two decal pieces to represent the port coverings right before painting. This second pic shows the kit ventral panel:

IMG_7755_zps3437824a.jpg

As a modeler it would have been easier if Revell had gone the conventional route with a split fuselage, since only one seam would need filling and sanding.

IMG_7758_zpse224ebc9.jpg

Also note that the aft end of the panel does not match that of the actual aircraft, so a new line needs scribing:

IMG_7757_zps7e657ce6.jpg

Fortunately the dorsal panel does appear to match:

IMG_7758_zpse224ebc9.jpg

Right now I'm working on the rear part:

IMG_7763_zpscf9f506a.jpg

This needs some sanding and rescribing, but nothing major. Yesterday I received the Eduard Brassin wheel set, and it is fantastic, with tread and sidewall detail, and wheel masks. One last thing: add more weight than you think you need!

Cheers,

Tom

I've got to say, that's some beautiful work on that cockpit! Truly inspirational for my own build.

Btw, what are you using to scribe with? I've got a lot of panel lines on my scratch built tail, and I don't want to overdo it.

I have four scribers: an X-Acto blade (for straight lines over curved surfaces) which I use for initial scribing, a Bare metal Foil scriber, a scriber pen (I confess I forgot where I got it) and a needle chucked to a pin vise. I select which of the latter three based on the plastic consistency and the type of surface.

Cheers,

Tom