Pending how I survive my FW190C-V18/U1 resin conversion this will be my most complex and daunting conversion.  I ask myself occasionally, "I need to do a shake 'n bake kit sometime".  I must have issues...cutting resin and modifying things.  Is it the challenge?  Is it therapeutic?  Who knows.  It is what it is, I seem to be following a pattern.

Ju88 G1 Mistel 2

The FW190A8 is done now it's on to the Ju88. 

Mistel_2_Art_Complete.jpg

My inspiration for this build can be blamed on one person.  Early 2011 I am making plans to return to my childhood hobby.  Yes, this is a familiar story for many of us.  Before buying anything I spend several months mining the internet to collect data on the current state of scale modeling.  I discovered SPAR, LSP, Model Madness, ARC, HS and I poured over anything I found interesting.  Then I latched on to Doogs' and followed his early efforts, F4F in kid colors and his P51B.  Through the magic of technology and asking many questions I ramped up to dive in.

I kept returning to a Ju88 Mistel 2 build on LSP, the blame game goes to you Mr. Hatchsmile.png  Love the scheme and the history of Mistels.  I found myself digging all kinds of research on German Composite planes.  Came very close to buying a 1:48 Mistel kit.  Nope, I'm all about 1:32.

So here goes.

Ju88_Mistel2_RevellKit.jpg

Revell's Ju88A 1 will be my donor kit.   I secured 4 of these kits at Squadron's Black Friday sale in 2012.  Less than $20 a kit this is a great value.

Ju88_Mistel2_Book.jpg

I'm all about research.  Not only a great read but lots of data on the Mistel series.

Ju88_Mistel2_AIMS_Decals.jpg

AIMS Mistel 2 Conversion came with a nice decal sheet.  Markings for the FW190 (see my FW190 WIP) included and markings for a Ju88 G1, yes I have the G1 conversion in my stash.

Ju88_Mistel2_AIMS_Parts.jpg

AIMS conversion includes Warhead, Rudder, Wing Extension, BMW801 Engines, Ailerons, Struts for FW190 mount and Photo Etch.  There is a Funkgerät DF with a clear vac-u-form spine.  This may be omitted as I am questioning whether this was removed for the Mistel aircraft.  Photographs/profiles/drawings of "Red 12" and other Ju88 G1 Mistel planes do not show a DF system.  James Hatch, feel free to comment on this.

Ju88_Mistel2_AIMS_BMW801.jpg

I already started cleaning the engine parts. 

Ju88_Mistel2_AfterMarket.jpg

Aftermarket:  MDC Bomb Racks, AIres Wheelset, G Factor Brass Landing Gear (highly recommended as this bird will be heavy) and CMK 900L Drop Tanks.

Profimodeller hurt me and AIMS gave me a good whack..  

Ju88_Mistel2_ProfiModeller_AIMS.jpg

Will be using smooth (no tread) wheels in lieu of tread wheels.   Will use the Aires treaded wheels on another Ju88 build.

The tail wheel/bay should be fun as assembly closely matches my control line flying days building balsa wood planes with bulk heads/stringers/tissue and some good dope.

Edited by Rick K

Very nice load of parts. Can't wait to see this one.

The Mistels and parasite fighters were so strange, but that's why I love the Sparrowhawks and the XF-85. That last one's small enough that we might see someone like Planet do it (hope, hope).

Tnarg

Very nice load of parts. Can't wait to see this one.

The Mistels and parasite fighters were so strange, but that's why I love the Sparrowhawks and the XF-85. That last one's small enough that we might see someone like Planet do it (hope, hope).

Tnarg

I have a SparrowHawk in my stash and have seen the real SH at Udvar-Hazy NASM many times...lots of photos.  The "Goblin" series and the "Tip-Tow" series were an interesting phase to protect bombers.

Nice load of parts indeed.  Well exceeding the value of the Ju88 kit.  Reminds me of the twenty something guys adding $10k worth of stereo gear to a $2k car.

Wow, what a project Rick! Looking forward to it.

Kev

You ain't kiddin Kev.  I may have taken a plunge I'm not really ready for.  I too, am looking forward to see how this turns out. 

You've got some cutting, sawing, drilling and sanding ahead of you, but pulling this of will certainly give you satisfaction! 

BTW: I thought, JU88 by Revell, you must be joking. It says Pro Modeler on the box lid. Bud then I noticed the 'by Revell' text. Never new that Revell brings kits out under another name.

You've got some cutting, sawing, drilling and sanding ahead of you, but pulling this of will certainly give you satisfaction! 

BTW: I thought, JU88 by Revell, you must be joking. It says Pro Modeler on the box lid. Bud then I noticed the 'by Revell' text. Never new that Revell brings kits out under another name.

ProModeler is the US distributor of Revell Germany.  Exact tooling as Revell Germany.  Note on ProModeler box art the "Hooked Cross" on tail.

Oh yes, lots of surgery in my future.

Edited by Rick K

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dropped by to see what was going on.

:popcorn:

Im with Maru ^

Nearly two years since my last post on this build.  Yikes!

Priority builds, bench rebuild and life kept me away from this project.  The Fw190 Mistel 2 is done so finally it's on the the Ju88 Mistel 2.

FW190A8_Mistel2.jpg

The Fw190 was finished April 2015.  Awaits the Ju88.

Ju88_Mistel2_TestFit.03.jpg

Some cutting and test fitting on the Ju88.  The AIMS components fit well.  Noting, plenty of putty work will be required.  Not the scary kind of putty work.

Will be posting many WIP images soon.

Edited by Rick K

ENGINE WORK

First step in preparing the BWM801's engine nacelle/engine requires hollowing out the engine exhaust flange to fit at nacelle rear mount. Using my Dremel tool I got to work.

Ju88_EngineWork.01.jpg

As you can see much work is required to thin the inside to fit on the leading edge of the nacelle rear mount. Care must be taken to preserve a uniform thickness of the exhaust flanges.

Ju88_EngineWork.02.jpg

The difficult part is keeping a steady hand during the grind off process.  The finished work is placed on a stand for photo.  I held the engine in my left hand and worked the Dremel tool with my right hand.

Ju88_EngineWork.03.jpg

Finished with no disaster. Will gently hand sand to achieve desired thickness of the exhaust flanges. Tic marks are for placement of a styrene disc for glue surface on the nacelle rear mount.

Edited by Rick K

RUDDDER FIT

While I was in the mood for grinding resin I worked on the Ju88G1 rudder.

Ju88_Rudder.02.jpg

I carefully measured where the kit rudder plug would meet on the G1 rudder.  Swapping out a smaller grinding tool I hollowed out the rudder to accept the kit rudder plug.

Ju88_Rudder.01.jpg

The kit rudder plug was trimmed down to accept the G1 rudder.

Ju88_Rudder.04.jpg

Test fit.

Ju88_Rudder.05.jpg

We're good.  The rudder need to slide forward about 1mm.  Some light filling might be needed, TBD.

Edited by Rick K