HK Model B-25J Backdated to a B-25C/D, Fingers Crossed

patricksparks

I have to re-work the hole that I made for the astro-dome, I manged somehow to put it in the wrong location, way off....However looking at photos I have been gathering I was looking at one of the astro-dome and to my suprise I never realized that the hole in the aircraft is not round, it's actually square like the window on the earlier A/B models, learn something new every day. [/url]">http://image.jpg

It almost looks hexagonal to me, or an oblong hexagon maybe? Or possibly even pentagonal.

Edited by NukerDan

Hi Patrick,

Yes, the Astrodome window on the top of the fuselage didn't change shape, only the covering of the opening.  The window in the A/B airplanes was optically flat glass.  When they went to the astrodome, it was just attached above the window opening.  Here are some pictures that should help.

John Clements

w2Q9TQ4.pngCymDEVb.pngf9UGFol.png

Wondering if anyone has information on this particular B-25C/D. All I have found is 13th Air Force, 42nd Bomb Group(CRUSADERS), 75th Squadron. I haven't been able to find a serial number or any additional images that might show the rear of the aircraft.

Any help would be appreciated !!!">http://MV1YDtc.jpg

">http://stXMomm.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

Patrick, I was wondering how did you get the vertical ribs to conform to the fuselage? I picked up a couple packs of the strip that you mentioned above but I'd love to know how you got them to fit.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Patrick, I was wondering how did you get the vertical ribs to conform to the fuselage? I picked up a couple packs of the strip that you mentioned above but I'd love to know how you got them to fit.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

The ribs on the side walls of the fuselage I "cold" formed by hand with .040 X .100 strips as the sides are almost flat, if you look at interior photos of B-25s you will see that they have larger size horizontal stringers in some areas, behind the cockpit there are more than in the rear fuselage. The rear fuselage is built almost as a "box" if you examine photos you can see that there are four larger horizontal stringers that are basically the same size in height as the ribs, I put the four stringers in first and then glued in the the vertical ribs that I cold formed in between the four large horizontal stringers(I used .040 X .100 for both). The upper and lower ribs above and below the for horizontal stringers  I had to make templates and cut them from .040 styrene, you don't need to make a lot of templates, you can make ribs that are close to size and reshape them to fit each station, unless your planing to open up holes in the fuselage much of these fits won't be seen especially if your doing an earlier ABCor D variant with only the original windows. Also the ribs on the lower fuselage don't need to meet as there was much flooring in B-25s that covered a good portion of the ribs except near were the ribs meet the large horizontal stringers. The ribs from the rear end of the bomb bay forward are common shaped, if you use the kits former that goes behind the cockpit and the rear wall of the bomb bay you can get the shape you need for that entire area.

Hope this helps !!!

Pat

Edited by patricksparks