Italeri F-104J Starfighter in JASDF scheme. 203 Squadron

dmthamade

Been a while since i've built anything, been waiting for someone to do aftermarket decals for a JASDF Zip. I got the decals from a Hasegawa kit from LSP Ron, they include stencils, Himomaru, squadron markings, etc. I'll be doing a 203 Sq bird with the teddy bear markings, specifically 46-8592. I'll have to shuffle around the numbers a bit. Instead of a NMF bird i'll be painting this in FS16473 Aircraft Grey. Aftermarket is Eduard Brassin parts F-104 exhaust nozzle early, and F-104 C2 ejection seat.

IMG_5536_zpse6tk5cqe.jpg

IMG_5537_zps4jj9qgoc.jpg

IMG_5538_zpsq7lufloa.jpg

I've built two of these kits, find them to be an enjoyable build.

Don

Looks good Don - love the Japanese scheme on the starfighter. Are you going to go for the teddy bears (or pandas or whatever they are) in the upper left corner of the decal sheet?

Jim

Yup!! Wouldn't have any other way. Teddy (Pandas) on a jet fighter!! who would think of it!!

Don

Guest Peterpools

Don

Sure looks like you're locked and loaded and ready.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Great project - I'm also planning to do an JASDF Starfighter, swapped the kit decal sheet with the same Hasegawa one with someone on ARC, going to do 692 as per the Two Bobs sheet  http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/201-300/Rev273-TwoBobs48051/00.shtm

Just read recently, which was news to me, that the J had the slim tyres and non-bulged main gear doors...

This is a great reference book  http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Books/Aircraft/model_art/model-art_f104-jasdf.htm

You should find this site useful  http://dansa.minim.ne.jp/CL-F104-00-ZenkiPhoto.htm

This is a build i've wanted to do for a long time. Did it years ago using the old hasegawa kit, happy for an up to date kit to add to the display case. I have everything on hand so i should be able to move right along. 692 is in temporary aggressor markings, JASDF Zips had quite a few special temporary schemes, most very attractive. The book is sold out everywhere i've looked, Kagemusha, i should be able to carry on without.  The site does have a lot of excellent pics, thank you!! All i've managed to do so far is organize the sprues, hang them on the wall.

IMG_5539_zps7obiutb4.jpg

Will make a start tomorrow.

Don

Don,

Looking forward to your build as the F104 is on my small jet list. I've gotta say that you're really quite organized with the hanging of sprue trees. I thought I was being really organized and careful by putting the trees back in their respective sleeves after I've retrieved the required parts.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Well, long time since i've posted. Done small things to the build, glued in the lights in the fuselage and painted them and glued the back halves of the fuselage to their respective front halves. I'm trying to rework the fuselage panel lines and rivets, sore spot on the kit is the soft, overwide panel lines and rivets on the fuselage. On my recently completed Revell F-15, i sanded down the complete build, this sharpened up the panel lines to an acceptable degree. Doing the same to the fuselage parts, i managed to sharpen these up as well, i did have to go over the rivets a couple of times, they were pretty shallow. This also eliminated some small ripples in the fuselage. All other parts are acceptable to me, just the fuselage will be reworked. One pic showing side by side comparison, reworked half on right.

IMG_5546_zpsfumilqiu.jpg

Don

Good improvement but quite some effort for a kit that's sold around the 100$ mark... How I wish ITALERI would clean up their act and put some more work in their moulds, instead of charging rediculous prices...  :BANGHEAD2:

On topic:

Sweet to see a JASDF-bird coming to life. I'm currently working on a Hasegawa 1/48 Zipper which will be finished in JASDF-colours as well. Should You go for an aluminium-bird, keep in mind that these bird's were painted in dope-aluminium (not BMF).

Regards Rudy.

Good improvement but quite some effort for a kit that's sold around the 100$ mark... How I wish ITALERI would clean up their act and put some more work in their moulds, instead of charging rediculous prices...  :BANGHEAD2:

On topic:

Sweet to see a JASDF-bird coming to life. I'm currently working on a Hasegawa 1/48 Zipper which will be finished in JASDF-colours as well. Should You go for an aluminium-bird, keep in mind that these bird's were painted in dope-aluminium (not BMF).

Regards Rudy.

It is a bit of work, but it's what we have to work with. No way am i going to try and rescribe the Hasegawa kit, tried and ruined a kit. This bird is going to be in FS 16473 aircraft grey. The sanding does help to tone down the panel lines, there are one or two that would benefit from filling and rescribing. I'm also doing the vertical tailfin, rivets are really soft so redoing these and the lines. Thanks for the positive feedback, guys, helps keep me motivated!!

Don