Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

ruzlkampf

Russ,

@*#~ you work fast.Outstanding progress on the Pancake.Where do you get the paper models from? Sure seems to be the way to go working from patterns rather than drawing as I do . Keep up your excellent work.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Who sometimes will build of scratch too.

Hey Lee, you ought to build one of these too....let's see, 2 'pancakes' would make it a 'short stack' for this GB!! ;) Ya know Gregory, I can't for the life of me remember what I typed in for a search looking for plans. Got a copy I'll send if you PM with an email address. No problem.

I'm really amazed ya'll think I'm going so fast :lol: ,...with these plans and the way it's designed....it's actually a no-brainer, cake-walk. All the designing and templating is already done. So far, it's as simple as building a frisbee! B)

Here's an example/ and progress pic. I'm going around the rear of the blob outlining the 'shape' and filling in the voids to give it some sheer strength and square it up.(plus it just looks cool, and will give me something to attach my skins too!) I just cut out a paper template, transfer to styrene, and attach. ;) Check it out;

post-4413-1220700862.jpg

Got my wheel-wells/tail wheel areas boxed in and marked for the gear. 'Tail feathers' are outlined, and I've got some 'blob tips' on the outside of the cow patty. These aren't wingtips...it doesn't have any. With the aerodynamics of the prop-wash over the shape, and the design, there are no wingtips to create vortices(drag), or for it to stall. Another reason it'll land at 40mph. But I digress, here's another progress shot of the underside.(it's hard to tell which side is up at this stage of the build! B) )

post-4413-1220701052.jpg

Topside view from the front with the 'elevons' taped in place.(paper for now to check basic outline) I have actually cut out all the colored paper 'skinning' and attached it to see what it'll look like! COOL!! B) Don't want to give too much away yet, so no pics of that til I get the front of the blob (with the jet intake style cooling fans) mocked out and in place. Got about 4hrs. into it at this point, and $7.

post-4413-1220701524.jpg

Top rear view showing the 'beaver-tail' and boxed in wheel-wells from the top. Navigation lights for this beast are going to be on the outside tips of the 'elevons'. Those 'flaps' I have marked out on the rear are actually large trim tabs for when it flys at high angle of attack. Geesh those lines look all scraggly in this pic, did that when I reduced the image size I guess?

post-4413-1220701891.jpg

I'm actually further along than this, just wanted to show everyone progress pics. This is the underside. I'm really getting inspired to make a turbo-prop contra-rotating prop, and turbine powered version of this.(-6 and -9 versions? B) ) Can't help but wonder what it would look like with no props and 2 jets w/vectoring exhausts, low radar signature intakes(where the cooling fans are now), and an F-117 style faceted canopy..it'd be very stealthy and maneuverable. Hmmm. :lol: What can I say, the air is very thin on my planet?! Too bad it never made it into service,..then there would've been some sold surplus to warbirders....and I could also make a Reno AIR RACER outta it!! Whoohoo! Last pic of the night, got more for tomorrow. Should have this on it's gear by the end of the weekend. I've just ordered some Teknics(?) resin R-2800's to stuff into the blob, hopefully my reference material will get here before I get done with this blasted thing?!!! More pics when I get up tomorrow. Later, Russ

post-4413-1220702393.jpg

Whooooo, good idea Kevin! That'll be my compressed air propelled -15 version 'underwater/amphibious/carrier capable' version. Hmmmmm, so many possibilities, so little time. B)

I ALMOST want to ask what the other 6 things are Kevin,...but .....maybe I shouldn't go there....??? :lol:

Bwhahahahah!