Monogram Mustang - Mojo Mender

xmh53wrench

This is a perfect way ok but you can improve with pre assembly of the two fuselage halves with tape or rubber bands, and positionning the other main wing without any glue, only to guarantee the dihedral...

raf

Thanks for the tip raf.  I have seen so many times folks having to fill and fight a bad seam at the wing root that I wanted to have nothing to do with that.  This has worked good so far for me, and I have decided to make a wing spar for all my future Mustang builds to guarantee that dihedral.....this is especially a problem with the Airfix 1/24 Mustangs.

Thank you as well MARU5137, we will see how much of a dawdle this becomes when I begin the Alclad process.  I have been away from the bench the past few days, down with the touch of the flu and a bad cold that seems to be lingering.  So its been braving the freezing weather to and from work, home for a quick dinner, a quick check on LSP and to bed....no energy for much else.  I am sure you can relate, and then some.  

I believe I am probably the hackiest builder on this site, and yet the encouragement and complements seem to keep coming.  I am eternally grateful and humbled by that.  Even though it seems I will be stuck with my Mustang fetish for some time, I do keep trying to keep the builds fresh and distinctive.  I guess maybe thats my calling, instead of 1/32 PE nuts, stretched sprue and a trunk load of AM....I will just keep folks interested with the question....Just how many ways can one build a P-51 Mustang?????

Thanks and heres to hoping for a Happy, Prosperous, and Healthy 2015 to YOU MARU5137 and all our fellow LSPers!!!

Thank you!

Well I finally felt well enough to sit at the desk for a bit.  I held the landing gear doors in place with masking tape, long enough to glue some doublers in place.  Fabbed a new center filler and also made the fuel tank panel center seam cover.  I decided to glue in place the stand.

IMAG2602_zps4b0f44a4.jpg

IMAG2604_zpse324aed9.jpg

I went ahead and glued the prop blades into the spinner with one of my fancy prop jigs :whistle:

IMAG2603_zpsca69da70.jpg

Thanks for tuning in....hoping tomorrow will bring buttoning up the fuselage and the wings....

Thank you Kev, I greatly appreciate that.

This kit is horribly inaccurate in the radio/battery area behind the seat, and above the fuselage tank for a WWII Mustang.  Its also completely missing the curved brace that is inside the canopy.

So, I hacked up what was provided with the kit, and modified that to resemble the battery and radio.  I scratched a new radio rack and the curved canopy brace.

Waiting for this stuff to dry to do some cleanup and painting.  (next to the new items is a sample of what is oob for this and the Phantom Mustang kit.)

IMAG2606_zps3f56f56a.jpg

Does anybody out there know if what comes with the original kit (that battery and radio set) is representative of a post war/Korean War era F-51D/K??

Currently trying to give the elevators the appearance of being fabric covered.

Chipping away.....

Thank you Loic, and Yes, Ralph, they are from the Dragon kit, courtesy of a fellow LSPer, who sent me a a nice box of goodies.  I think I may know why you are asking....

Still trying to figure out all the idosyncracies of all these Mustang kits, and am now seeing how fat the chord of these prop blades are.  

Its amazing just how different all these kits are in shapes and dimensions.

I couldnt even use the spare Dragon spinner as it was smaller than the Monogram spinner in diameter and would have been more modifying of the nose than I was up to doing on this particular build.

Live and learn.....

....I guess if I continue with all these builds I foresee a few sets of Neely prints and a new set of calipers in my future......

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Just amazing progress on this Golden Oldie and I hate to admit it but I remember when the kit first was released - it cause a small sensation

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Well, things moving a bit slow right now, lots of patience with applying putty and letting things get good and dry.

Puttied a bunch of the fuselage seams, they are pretty bad, and also bit the bullet and took the saw to the dorsal fin.....early D-5NA....whalah!

The hole wasnt too awful bad, cleaned it up and slipped in some .063" Evergreen.  When that dries up, a bit more shaping and some putty.

Fiddling with that horrible opening for the tail landing gear doors as well.

IMAG2623_zps3e30663e.jpg

Also slung some gloss black at the prop, in preparation for some decals and yellow tips.

IMAG2631_zpsb9c4870a.jpg