Mk XIX Spitfire

Bomarc

Here’s an “oldie-moldie” of mine that I thought I’d share, lest anyone think I build only in paper.

I built this in 1996. At the time, while I had a pretty good film camera (a Pentax 35mm SLR), my picture taking skills were sorely lacking. With the advances in digital photography of today, I decided to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon to give this old chestnut a proper shoot. After all, if you haven’t seen it yet, it’s new to *you*….

The base kit is the old 1/32nd scale Hasegawa Mk V Spitfire, converted to the Mk XIX standard using a resin conversion kit from a long defunct company called PPM (which also did an Mk XIV kit as well). I bought the Mk XIX resin kit (as well as the generic Swedish decal markings from “Flying Colors Aerodecal”) in 1995 from a then fledging hobby concern that would set up a table and sell its wares during the monthly IPMS meetings held in Northern Virginia (NOVA Modelers) at the time, called “Meteor Productions” (wonder what happen to them….hmmmm?).

Cockpit, landing gear, and wheel wells were all scratch built. I used Waldron British instruments and Spitfire cockpit placards in the cockpit, and Swedish language stencils were concocted (that’s being kind!) using clear decal film and a laser copier. Looking back, among my many Spitfire “noobie” errors, Mk XIX’s sold to Sweden had the 4-spoke wheel rims (blame that one on PPM), the wheel wells (and I think the struts too) should have been in PRU Blue as the rest of plane, and I didn’t paint the pilot’s seat in that “bake-lite” color that I always hear about (hanging head in shame). I’m much better with P-51’s…..

I’m just going to throw the “keepers” pics out here sans photoshoping. Enjoy!

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

Lovely build Mike! Always thought the XIX was the sharpest looking Griffon in the series. You have done a wonderful job with yours, especially in those unusual markings. The painted leading edges on the propeller blades is a nice touch, well done!

Thanks for the kind word guys, much appreciated!

I couldn't help but notice that I didn't get all the dust off the model before I shot the pics (some of those legendary camera skills at work again!). That's probably 1996 dust on there, vintage stuff! :doh: