Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

Guest Peterpools

SD

Sure looks like you know where all the pitfalls and roadblocks are. Looking forward to following your progress on the Fortress

Peter

Thanks for the great comments.  Also thanks for the tips on gap closing.  I have no problem closing gaps but the easy techniques I'm talking about posting later on will eliminate the gaps altogether.  To close small gaps, I use a very hard dental wax which I melt into the small gaps and contour.  It's not too soft and it holds paint very well unless you are too rough with it.  For large gaps, I use styrene first to bridge the gap or close the hole and use the filler as needed.  

@Brian.  I can't believe how much foil these kits take.  Reynold's Wrap stock has gone up 2 points since I started these kits.  

@Jack.  When I was making cars, I did live in a home for wayward plastic addicts but when I went to aircraft, they threw me out.  We used to have 1/8 scale drag races in the halls.  We shrunk ourselves down to 1/8 scale, filled up our gas tanks, got into our cars and raced for hours.  The halls weren't long enough though for flying aircraft so they got real mad at me and doubled the padding in my cell--er --ah--room.  They also didn't like the foil dust so out they tossed me.  

@sharkmouth.  The recent leadership in NYC and in the state in general have been doing things not beneficial to the residents.  That's all I can say right now without violating the forum rules.  Other than that,I have no problem.  

@sharkmouth.  The recent leadership in NYC and in the state in general have been doing things not beneficial to the residents.  That's all I can say right now without violating the forum rules.  Other than that,I have no problem.  

:hmmm: You must be a former N'you' Yawker to notice and care!  I agree and will say no further although there is much more to it especially in the bedroom community where an unwanted large group has arrived to greatly increase population but also greatly decrease the tax revenue base leaving the others to foot a higher bill.

Regards,

:hmmm: You must be a former N'you' Yawker to notice and care! 

Yeah, you got it.  For me as a kid, it was the greatest place in the world where you could do anything you wanted, go anywhere you wanted and the city was well run, at least from my perspective.  Now they want to limit the size of the drink you buy, take baby formula off the shelf and other silly things.  I'm hoping they don't ban modeling.  NYC had some of the greatest hobby shops where you could get all the best products.  There was only one place in Louisville here that I was able to get an HMK kit let alone 2.  In NYC you could get a full division.  Well enough with the side track.  Let's get on with this build.  

Edited by Silver Dollar

Ahh, the 96th... near and dear to my heart! My Grandfather was a pilot with the 339th BS with the 96th, having survived two crash landings during his time there. He completed 13 missions, and stayed after the war to participate in the Berlin Airlift. His aircraft, serial number 44-6888, code R-AW, nicknamed "Ragged But Right" never had the nose art or name painted on the aircraft. What they did do was paint tails and ears on the '888' buzz numbers on the nose to make it look like three cats. My plan is to eventually build this kit as his aircraft. I tried to attach some photos, but Photobucket isn't cooperating. If you are interested in seeing a few pictures, PM me and I'd be happy to supply them to anyone who is curious!

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

Dollar,

Well planned execution and thoughtful narrative. Sounds likes you have things zeroed in. I'm really looking forward to the foiling portion of the build. Please post lots more photos and narrative.

Best for the new year...

Geoff

This is really not a correction so much as a more careful job I've done with this part.  It's not complete yet as it needs levers, toggle switches and whatever else is not there.  The first picture is at a more distant view while the other two are close up and personal.  

DSCN1702_zpsfb656b35.jpg

DSCN1694_zps4fb2adec.jpg

DSCN1695_zpsd3e42ee8.jpg

Wolf-Whistle...................When all is said and done,this work is more impressive than sticking PE.

And more satisfying to the creator of it. 

I love the paint work Silver Dollar.......... I know you should be very satisfied ..........FEELS GOOOOD!!.......HUH??

Jack

Thanks guys.  I was hoping you'd like it.  As I said, that's me being much more careful using enamels rather than acrylics which set too dang fast.  I also cut down a few of my brushes to teeny tiny dimensions.  The key to this is not so much steady handwork but high magnification.  It automatically steadies the hand, even mine at 63.  I have developed a little wiggle to my right hand but with a bit of concentration, I can minimize it, but it's still there.  I really don't like using PE parts as they're way too fiddly bits for me.  Most of them wind up on the floor.  If you look at my workshop floor, there's a beautiful P-51 cockpit somewhere down there but I can't see it.  I'll be working on this part this weekend along with getting rid of those gaps between the big parts.  Again, thanks so much for the great words of encouragement.  You guys are the best.