RN's new carrier

Lancman

Nowhere near as good as Germany's carriers.

:wicked:

Well, we have our own share of that burden:

Operating 5 corvettes, but aqquired only 4 guided ship-to-ground missles per ship...  :rolleyes: 

Regards

- dutik

Even after BREXIT, the UK will still very much be part of NATO.

That's too bad.... still keeping ties with NATO and yet turning their back on European partners, some of whom supported the UK in times past. We unfortunately are begining to see the side effects of BREXIT here... some EU importers have completely dropped UK manufactured goods... which kinda pissed me off as I do like some of the products... and UK citizens who have applied to jobs here in Austria have been looked past... not to get into it too deep - I love the UK and her people but the whole farking BREXIT thing has really pissed me off... my mother who lives in London for years has had her residency status already brought into question and her father fought for the British Army in WWII.... its a mess... and to add a little humor to the rant - my English relatives said England is already a floating carrier - why do we need a smaller one?? :)

I just hope that it will all get ironed out shortly... and that the QE will never need to use lethal force in keeping peace during her upcoming sea career!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Cheer Up Alan, I for one look forward to be freed from the EU. Just because we don't want to play in this mad unelected world of the EU anymore, it doesn't mean we are not still Europeans, we just want to be free to play in our own little sandpit. :)

And to err sail the world in our new super carriers, projecting air power from the mighty decks...... now where did we put the air power..... ohhhh dear, we haven't got any yet to go on it... :mental:

Edited by TonyT

f... my mother who lives in London for years has had her residency status already brought into question and her father fought for the British Army in WWII....

Side note: imagine how annoying it was to find upon arriving at Heathrow that, as a citizen of a Commonwealth country with relatives that had fought (& in some cases died) to protect the British Empire, EU citizens had priority in entering the UK, whereas Commonwealth citizens were lumped in with everyone else.

Side note: imagine how annoying it was to find upon arriving at Heathrow that, as a citizen of a Commonwealth country with relatives that had fought (& in some cases died) to protect the British Empire, EU citizens had priority in entering the UK, whereas Commonwealth citizens were lumped in with everyone else.

That's exactly the case of my mother - from a family with matriarchal roots in the Highlands and residence in a Commonwealth country that sent many family members from different generations (Boer War to WWII) to serve when Mother England needed them most.

I just really hope they will get it all ironed out soon and that the English will be happy as will the rest of Europe! I have faith that they will... I firmly believe the greatest error of them all was decommisioning the Harriers!!

Chin up and all that good stuff!

Cheers

Alan

That's exactly the case of my mother - from a family with matriarchal roots in the Highlands and residence in a Commonwealth country that sent many family members from different generations (Boer War to WWII) to serve when Mother England needed them most.

I just really hope they will get it all ironed out soon and that the English will be happy as will the rest of Europe! I have faith that they will... I firmly believe the greatest error of them all was decommisioning the Harriers!!

Chin up and all that good stuff!

Cheers

Alan

I'm sure that EU citizens rights to reside in the UK will be sorted out fairly soon.

It's the UK, rather than England, that's leaving the EU.

Well, the UK will need this after BREXIT...

nice looking ship though. I like the straight through deck rather than the US slanted decks!

Cheers

Alan

Uh, ... except the angled deck was a British invention, almost universally adopted due to the obvious advantages of protection of aircraft parked on the forward deck during flight operations..

And at one time the HMS Queen Elizabeth was scheduled to have one, in addition to the ski jump.

See comparison diagram below, second from left:

fa6c86b0e2f332cbeab4f47537a19e40.jpg

Edited by Chek

I'm sure that EU citizens rights to reside in the UK will be sorted out fairly soon.

Totally agree, the only reason it has not been satisfied at the moment, much to the chargrin of the other main party is they need to ensure the same for UK citizens abroad, you don't throw your bargaining chip away because you end up with none.

There are citizens of the EU already living and working here and I for one have absolutely no problem with that and that the right to remain should be cast in stone. What the EU needs to do is have a change of law so that right is ensured if any other country decides to leave... The worry for those poor people must be dreadful worrying if they are now wanted / welcome.... Well in my eyes they are :)

As for ditching the Harrier, Invincible shouldn't have gone either... And Ocean is now at threat, it bugs we when they say XYZ ship is life expired and then it is sold onto another Navy who operate it successfully for another 30 odd years... Hermes of the Falklands fame being one, retired, rushed back into service for the Falklands, sold, then serves another 30ish years before finally being retired by India only a year or so ago. But back to the Harrier, just so wrong as it was still a front line asset.

Jaguar was the same, design authority I believe had past to the RAF so was cheap to modify / upgrade, it was cheap to operate, required little support as was reliable, had been upgraded, was in use in the sandpit then was withdrawn, probably because it would be politically difficult to say it was past it's useful life if it was still operating in the sandpit... Such a waste, though the retired jags were then eventually robbed of their low hours wings that went to Oman to extend their fatigue lives and replaced with the Omani life limited items.

Edited by TonyT

Yep chek, was aware that the angled deck was a UK invention and is a stupid omission. With the angled deck, have a crash you can still operate, a through deck makes it nigh on impossible.

Edited by TonyT

At least Great Britain will have two carriers ... better than just one, be it nuclear-powered, which leaves you without any carrier when going through an 18 months overhaul like the Charles de Gaulle !

Interestingly, France and the UK discussed developing an aircraft carrier platform together, to replace the CdG for France. Bigger (65 000 tonnes), conventional powered, and I am sure a "serie" of four would have saved taxpayers' money for both countries. As usual, the project went belly-up, the navies being unable to agree on some key criteria, one of them being the use (or not) of catapults ...

The table above has forgotten one aircraft carrier, CATOBAR, which is the former "Foch", used by the Brasilian Navy as "Sao Paulo". In fairness, it has been withdrawn from service earlier this year, having never been able to serve meaningfully since its acquisition by Brasil.

Due to the political bias, I will refrain from commenting on Brexit ... I personally feel it very sad that so many people in Europe forget that European construction was one of the biggest political achievements in history, all the more so as it was done by the countries of a continent that was responsible for two major wars, and dictatorial regimes (ibncluding USSR), that were collectively responsible for dozens of million deaths, in the same century.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

At least Great Britain will have two carriers ... better than just one, be it nuclear-powered, which leaves you without any carrier when going through an 18 months overhaul like the Charles de Gaulle !

Interestingly, France and the UK discussed developing an aircraft carrier platform together, to replace the CdG for France. Bigger (65 000 tonnes), conventional powered, and I am sure a "serie" of four would have saved taxpayers' money for both countries. As usual, the project went belly-up, the navies being unable to agree on some key criteria, one of them being the use (or not) of catapults ...

The table above has forgotten one aircraft carrier, CATOBAR, which is the former "Foch", used by the Brasilian Navy as "Sao Paulo". In fairness, it has been withdrawn from service earlier this year, having never been able to serve meaningfully since its acquisition by Brasil.

Due to the political bias, I will refrain from commenting on Brexit ... I personally feel it very sad that so many people in Europe forget that European construction was one of the biggest political achievements in history, all the more so as it was done by the countries of a continent that was responsible for two major wars, and dictatorial regimes (ibncluding USSR), that were collectively responsible for dozens of million deaths, in the same century.

Hubert

Agree about the UK & France developing a joint carrier. Would make enormous sense as they are Europe's two biggest militaries, they could have shared the cost and maybe even aeroplanes. I suppose the UK decision to go STOVL killed it stone dead?

BREXIT will not remove the UK from Europe, it just removes the UK from the EU. There is an enormous difference.

Norway & Switzerland stand outside the EU, but they trade quite happily and are European. It'll be the same with the UK.

With F-35's adopting a rolling landing, an angled deck would have been useful.

Then again, there will be so few aeroplanes on the carrier that a collision would be unlikely anyway.

You are missing a vital point, with an angled deck you are able to launch aircraft while also recovering them, with a through deck you cannot. though looking at the images above it appears they would interfere on our carriers at least, strange how the planes on both  large carriers look to scale, but our catapult appears larger, it also has two so could launch quicker.

Edited by TonyT