• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

This may not be a big deal to most, but to me it is pretty cool, 95, still living at home on an acre of land with my mom, and their little Beagle,................ still drives................. well sort of...... still cuts the lawn, and does the odd small chore, he walks a bit like Tim Conway on the old Carol Burnett show, won't wear his hearing aids, won't answer the phone and makes my mom mad..... and I guess after 74 years of marriage that's allowed........ BUT he is still here, has a fantastic memory....... he is a RCAF 435 Sqdn WWII Veteran, worked hard all his life and has been a pretty good dad to me....... kind of cool in my mind....  I just kinda wanted to let you guys know, sometimes there is some good news in this world

• alaninaustria, Jack, R Palimaka and 10 others like this

#2 LSP_Mike

LSP_Mike

LSP Staff

• LSP Moderator
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

Good stuff. Perhaps post a pic of him during his time in service.

• harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack and Jeff like this

in progress:

1/32 Hase Me-109G2/R6
1/35 Su-85/ winter- attach to base
1/32 DH-9a USMC- Delivered to Flying Leathernecks Museum, MCAS Miramar
1/32 Mig-3:winter paint and weathering: in progress and base
Yacht America need some parts.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place...
Yes, I built models when I was a kid too.... no they're not toys....

#3 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

This may not be a big deal to most, but to me it is pretty cool, 95, still living at home on an acre of land with my mom, and their little Beagle,................ still drives................. well sort of...... still cuts the lawn, and does the odd small chore, he walks a bit like Tim Conway on the old Carol Burnett show, won't wear his hearing aids, won't answer the phone and makes my mom mad..... and I guess after 74 years of marriage that's allowed........ BUT he is still here, has a fantastic memory....... he is a RCAF 435 Sqdn WWII Veteran, worked hard all his life and has been a pretty good dad to me....... kind of cool in my mind....  I just kinda wanted to let you guys know, sometimes there is some good news in this world

Enjoy it!

My dad would have been 90 this July before he passed the month before last. Always great to be that independent at that age. The greatest generation TRULY was just that 

• harvey, Tnarg and Jeff like this

#4 R Palimaka

R Palimaka

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

It is a big deal. That's a great post, thanks for sharing. It's wonderful you still have them both with you, and that he sounds healthy and sound and still independent. It's funny how they get stubborn about certain things. Make sure you get lots of time with them. Hope he has a happy birthday, and we are grateful for his service.

They are a remarkable bunch. My Dad will be 91 this year, also served in England with two Polish Mustang Squadrons and is still in his house and very independent.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka, 21 April 2017 - 04:11 PM.

• harvey, Tnarg and Jeff like this

#5 R Palimaka

R Palimaka

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

...and yes, a picture of him now and then would be cool. If you feel that's appropriate.

• harvey and Jeff like this

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Thanks you for the very kind words guys, IF I knew how to post a photo I sure would, one thing I DO know, is that life is very precious, and time is short.....very short, and I have been very blessed to have been able to live near them for all my life...... funny thing, how stuff goes full circle, he used to work for the Department of Highways.... when I was little he used to take me out in the snow plow trucks as often as he could.... fast forward... I ended up working for Highways, and when I could, I would bring the tandem wing truck plowing snow , and I would pick him up and take him for a ride, long after he had been retired ......THAT was cool..... memories that will always be with me,..................... I have been very lucky....

• alaninaustria, R Palimaka, harvey and 2 others like this

#7 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 23,856 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

It's very nice that he's still with you, that you have a good relationship, and good memories. There is indeed much good in the world to be grateful for, and perhaps it's a little too easy for some of us to dwell on what's perceived as negative.

• alaninaustria, harvey and Jeff like this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress: 1:24 Bf 109K-4, MiG-15, Soviet Ace, Fw 190F-8,

#8 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

I have a very good friend whose dad turned 95 yesterday.  And he basically still looks and acts just like he did when I first met him 35 years ago.  Still driving and going strong!

• harvey, LSP_Typhoonattack and Jeff like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#9 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Now that is great news Jeff! Made my day to hear that - thanks for sharing!! Are your parents close to the Harrop-Proctor area by any chance??
Cheers
Alan

#10 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Now that is great news Jeff! Made my day to hear that - thanks for sharing!! Are your parents close to the Harrop-Proctor area by any chance??
Cheers
Alan

AH................. yeah about 18 miles, we had property there for many years, I went to the Harrop one room school........now I HAVE to ask......................................Talk to me Alan!!!!  You got me going on this one....

• alaninaustria and harvey like this

#11 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,662 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

Jeff, good on you ! My dad would have been 89 this last Feb. Miss him terribly......Harv

• LSP_Typhoonattack and Jeff like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#12 dennismcc

dennismcc

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

It's great isn't it, my father in law lived to the ripe old age of 94 and right until the end he lived in his own house and took care of himself and had a brain that was as sharp as a steel trap, it was not too long before he passed that he had to give up driving as his eyesight went too bad.

When we lived out in Australia he used to come out and stay with us to dodge the UK winter, we took him to New Zealand, Hong Kong, Cairns and to Singapore, it enabled my wife to get to know him even better than she did before which was the whole purpose of the exercise as I always regretted not getting close to my dad as he died at a relatively young age (65) so I wanted to give her a better chance that I had.

When we visited Singapore he achieved a lifelong ambition at the age of 87 in going to Raffles for afternoon tea, during WW2 he spent the majority of his time serving in Burma and Raffles was always a place that he wanted to visit.

Like your farther he would never wear his hearing aid which drove my wife mad, but enjoy his company as much as possible and get him to tell you as many stories as possible.

Cheers

Dennis

#13 LSP_Ron

LSP_Ron

• LSP Moderator
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

Your dad shares the Queen's Birthday! he's 4 years older than her too!

Happy Birthday!

Ron

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Douglas Adams

When I die, I'll be on time

#14 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Thanks you guys, Just took him and ma to lunch, which was very good.... ( yes I paid LOL!!) to all of you who have lost your dear dad, I am sorry for your loss, and as much as sometimes the old folks can be a test, I'd much rather be tested than not have them here .......I can tell by what and how you fellows have responded here that there is a lot of love for your parents and that is so cool..... in my dad's case he came to Canada from Hull UK, in 1935 at 13 years old with NOTHING, and he managed to chisel a living , raise 3 kids , buy and pay for a new home on an acre of land................ he always says "if it weren't for bad luck , I'd have no luck at all...." I'm afraid I have to bring him up short on that , as I do think he was very successful with only a grade 7 education, became a senior road foreman with the Highways department, and still here to say what he feels.... I only hope I'm as successful....... thanks for the good wishes, everyone, I'd sure like to hear more of your stories..... we have to keep them close... tell me more...

Sorry for your loss Harv... I know when dad is gone I will be in the same boat as you...

• alaninaustria, R Palimaka and harvey like this

#15 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,662 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Thank you Jeff !........Harv

• Shaka HI and Jeff like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users