66 replies to this topic

#16 Cees Broere

Cees Broere

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Tony,

You are oh so richt. Over the 28 years of wreck investigation we have recovered over 20 Merlins, mosty the XX-series. None had

the RR-logo on the rocker covers.

• TonyT, Peterpools, CANicoll and 1 other like this

halifax_zpsb676f4f8.jpg

#17 The Southern Bandit

The Southern Bandit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Now imagine if Airfix did 1/32 Aircraft, LOL

• BiggTim and mpk like this

#18 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

re: using Rolls Royce labeled valve covers...

I raise my hand with a sheepish look on my face.

Edited by Clunkmeister, 21 April 2017 - 01:30 PM.

• Rick Griewski, Martinnfb, LSP_Typhoonattack and 5 others like this

image.jpg1_zpsubouqlgz.jpg

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#19 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

That extra fat white band especially sticks out like a sore thumb.

Wish more people would look at decals. It's interesting how so many go to such depths analyzing the accuracy of a kit to the minute detail, but when it comes to decals it seems they're much less analyzed for accuracy and are taken as good as long as they look nice/pretty to the eye.

Edited by ziggyfoos, 21 April 2017 - 01:31 PM.

• mpk likes this

#20 Palm-tree

Palm-tree

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

Looking at Jennings red outline, superimposed over the Airfix decal for the B-17, indicates that the horizontal dimensiions are correct but the vertical are slightly out.

If you applied the decal to a cylinder such as a fuselage, wouldn't the dimensions look correct ?

Not sure whether there is actually an error here or not?

Maybe Airfix have taken the scan of the markings applied to a 3-d model and flattened them thus giving the effect we are seeing on the decal sheet?

Discuss...
  • mpk likes this
Current builds: Meng 1/32 Me163, HK Models 1/32 B-17
Stalled build: Trumpeter 1/32 F-117 - awaiting chute bay info to become available

#21 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Looking at Jennings red outline, superimposed over the Airfix decal for the B-17, indicates that the horizontal dimensiions are correct but the vertical are slightly out.

If you applied the decal to a cylinder such as a fuselage, wouldn't the dimensions look correct ?

Not sure whether there is actually an error here or not?

The stars/bars are a set dimension, it's not compensated for application (only somewhat exception I know of is the wraparound portion on the A-4 IFR probe). When applied the insignia would be to spec and laid on the cylinder fuselage as-is.
  • mpk likes this

#22 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

Probably third party produced for them and missed.... still better than the mid upper turret dambuster..

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 01:43 PM.

• mpk likes this

#23 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

To add to my other reply, the bar is definitely too fat and low while the star itself isn't elongated vertically - so it would still be wrong looking even if they were attempting to go with the "look correct" when applied approach (which again, isn't correct though).
  • mpk likes this

#24 Palm-tree

Palm-tree

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

To add to my other reply, the bar is definitely too fat and low while the star itself isn't elongated vertically - so it would still be wrong looking even if they were attempting to go with the "look correct" when applied approach (which again, isn't correct though).

Don't disagree as the original would have been applied using a standard sized stencil.

However just trying to offer an explanation as to why the dimensions may have been distorted using cad/cam software.

I mean it hasn't exactly been drawn freehand has it?
  • mpk likes this
Current builds: Meng 1/32 Me163, HK Models 1/32 B-17
Stalled build: Trumpeter 1/32 F-117 - awaiting chute bay info to become available

#25 mpk

mpk

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Now imagine if Airfix did 1/32 Aircraft, LOL

tumblr_m6vi8yxysD1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

I spoke to my dad recently (WWII vet) about the mistake I made thinking an RAAF P40E was named Grace. He said "call one Grace anyway. Who's going to prove you wrong?"

Worth consideration.  :hmmm:

As an artist, I am finding some weird things in the modeling community and for a while it was getting to me. "That is not the werk #!" "That rivet detail is inaccurate."

Now think of it. No model looks like a real aircraft unless it's 1/1 scale.

As a newbie trying to "get it right", I discovered I felt pressure. But I'm an artist.

Bill Bruford (Great English drummer of King Crimson, Genesis, UK, Yes fame) stated in his autobiography how he had hired a top flight classical horn player to play on his first solo album. It turned out the guy HAD to have sheet music. He was simply unable to improvise. Which shocked Bill and Allan Holdsworth (RIP). They had to hurriedly write a chart.

That's kind of sad. We drummers improvise all the time. Modeling is artistic to a point, I have decided. I am starting to think it may be better to go against the flow. You want a purple zero? Go for it. The thing is plastic. 

Museum pieces are a different matter. In that case get it right.

I have noticed no person I know gives a rat's bum about my modeling. 

It's just a hobby. Not brain surgery or trying to prevent a war at the UN.

"These decals are wrong!"

Get a life. Or get laid. :)

Take no offence. I'm a drummer. :D

• Winnie, phoenix 54, BiggTim and 3 others like this
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#26 LSP_Mike

LSP_Mike

LSP Staff

• LSP Moderator
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Regardless of "why" the decals are wrong. They ought not be. No one has suggested that we solved world hunger with correct decals. Wear a snare drum for a hat, and walk down some stairs.

Take no offence, I'm a tradesman.

• BiggTim, Clunkmeister, CANicoll and 2 others like this

in progress:

1/32 Hase Me-109G2/R6
1/35 Su-85/ winter- attach to base
1/32 DH-9a USMC- Delivered to Flying Leathernecks Museum, MCAS Miramar
1/32 Mig-3:winter paint and weathering: in progress and base
Yacht America need some parts.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place...
Yes, I built models when I was a kid too.... no they're not toys....

#27 mpk

mpk

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

Wear a snare drum for a hat, and walk down some stairs.

Take no offence, I'm a tradesman.

Been there.... ;)

• Clunkmeister and mmaben like this
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#28 David Hansen

David Hansen

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

I looked at it and yeah..... it doesn't look quite right. Span looks good, bars look too fat (to my eye; i haven't referred to official references here. I'm just going from memory and my sense of aesthetics).

But if that's the WORST shot that someone can take at the Airfix B-17..... it's really small potatoes. I'd probably use a laser cut mask and paint it anyway. That's the general direction technology and progress is headed it seems.

-d-

• mpk likes this

#29 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

One of my Photos of a Lockheed Electra

Elect4.jpg

It has two Union flags on it, obviously they only produced one as the one next to the door and shown is actually upside down ( and is a sign of a ship in distress in Naval terms) Imagine if the decal sheet was produced as such and the uproar it would produce.. but as shown in real life not all things are right, the first VC10 that went to have a Civilian repaint (instead of the RAF doing it), came back and was operated for a few weeks until someone finally figured out what was wrong... (we all knew something wasn't right, but couldn't put a finger on it) they had reversed the fin flash so instead of RAF it showed French Airforce ie Blue White Red instead of Red White Blue.

Even when operating from drawings it can go wrong, we repainted the Royal Navy Jetstreams and the drawings had no circle around the roundels, the stripes were dark blue but so were the outer blue on the roundel, so you would have had a white circle with a red dot in the middle, we added a white circle around it and pointed it out and the drawing was corrected to what we had done, of course the full roundel showed on the drawing, just no one had put two and two together re the colours.

https://img.planespo...sNet_188225.jpg

One that slipped through, when we repainted the Devon for the BBMF the drawing specified cut out markings at xyz size and gap, now in reality it should have had them spaced feet apart not inches, but the signwriter added them ( hand painted) and when the BBMF came to see it they agreed LOL, but alas it was to late to correct it. it was jokingly suggested to them we get the signwriter to paint a pair of scissors on the cut out lines, like you see in the newspapers

you can see what I mean here

http://www.airport-d.../627/627492.jpg

copyright owned by image photographers, just used as an example.

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 03:49 PM.

• CANicoll and DeanKB like this

#30 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

For my 1/72 builds and so far for my 1/48 I tend to use the kit decals/stencils, etc but am working towards masks for my 1/24.1/32 builds.  I do a lot of aftermarket to get specific markings (Big Beautiful Doll, the Polish aircraft for WWII, specific Mustangs and Airacobras). 

I'll still take a look at the Airfix B-17.  I'm thinking of doing one more 1/48 Monogram B-17 seeing as I have a complete one in my kit and so much AM stuff for it.

On the bench:  1/32 Hobby Craft Sopwith Camel, 1/32 Italeri Sopwith Camel,  and (2) 1/72 Eduard Spitfires Mk.IXc

In the Case: Eduard 1/72 F6F-3 Hellcat, 1/28 Fokker DR I 'Red Baron',   Big Beautiful Doll  KH P-39 Snooks 2nd 1/48 Eduard P-39D Air A Cutie1/72 Academy Helldiver; 1/72nd Eduard Albatros DV;1/28 Revell Spad XIII1/32 Roden Fokker DR I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users