364 replies to this topic

#346 TTail

TTail

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

Very Shrewd reply Cheetah11 I sense in your ID some inside inside Knowledge :)

#347 DesTROYer

DesTROYer

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:03 AM

Beautiful work Eric.  This build of yours just keeps on inspiring me to not only build better but to spend more money. Between the Kit, the punches and the Silhouette that I've bought, all as a result of you and your posts, I think I'm up to around $750 in newly bought items. Keep it up.

• Whitey likes this
https://www.facebook...sTROYersModels/ DesTROYers Models
https://www.facebook...dellingtheRAAC/ Modelling the RAAC and ADF Transport

#348 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Beautiful work Eric.  This build of yours just keeps on inspiring me to not only build better but to spend more money. Between the Kit, the punches and the Silhouette that I've bought, all as a result of you and your posts, I think I'm up to around $750 in newly bought items. Keep it up.

Ok, can I interest you in a drill press, compound table and accessories? There is another $750ish right there!

http://www.mytoolsto...M220#28128.html

Check out and like my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/manscale/

#349 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

More work on the stuff hanging underneath the model. The fuel tank that I was going to fit to the centerline pylon seemed to be a bit thin compared to photos. Cheetah11 did point it out a few pages back and the more I looked at it, the more I wanted to fix it. I removed the rear fins and  glued 2mm thick plastic to one half of a spare tank, then glued both halves together, before cutting the tank into halves again perpendicular to the original join. I then glued another 2mm thick section of plastic card to one half and rejoined it, significantly expanding the diameter of the tank. Once the glue had set, I spun the tank in the lathe and sanded the joins flush. I also decreased the span of the rear wings once I had them glued into place.

I have also finished the pylon.

IMG_5926_zps2qcblm98.jpg

Hung under the model and the tough bits are starting to come together!

IMG_5924_zpsxelkfm0k.jpg

IMG_5923_zps7sskbkxx.jpg

Once primed and compared to the original tank, the new one looks much better.

IMG_5928_zpszmpcqxdg.jpg

IMG_5930_zpsto968umg.jpg

• Starfighter, blackbetty, ScanmanDan and 8 others like this

#350 Cheetah11

Cheetah11

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hi Eric

A great fix on the tank and a very nice pylon. I see you have removed the fuses on the bombs. What fuses are you going to use, live or practice fuses? Looking at the era of the aircraft, live fuses most likely had external fusing wires.

Regards

Cheetah11

• Peterpools likes this

#351 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 37,371 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Great work as always, Eric!

Kev

• Peterpools likes this

#352 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,795 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:46 PM

Eric

Amazing work as always.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

0338ba3a-e311-4dab-8212-e3c738b97d5d_zps

ZM Heinkel He 219 A-0

#353 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:25 AM

Hi Eric

A great fix on the tank and a very nice pylon. I see you have removed the fuses on the bombs. What fuses are you going to use, live or practice fuses? Looking at the era of the aircraft, live fuses most likely had external fusing wires.

Regards

Cheetah11

Hi Cheetah, I haven't installed the fuses yet, but they will be the short, live versions.

I finally got my hands on a set of High planes models No.2 OCU decals. I sat down for a decaling session, placing my trust in the nicely packaged decals. The decals seemed to be reasonably old and required care to peel off the protective paper which had become stuck to the decals themselves. Despite this, I decided to start with one of the smaller fin flashes, which would give me a good idea of how the decals would perform.

I was immediately disappointed in them, as can be seen in the photo below. The red was way out of register, and there was a dark line around the blue.

6BD87505-6516-41AC-9976-B53419550F15_zps

After all of the work that had gone into the model, there was no way these were going to make an appearance on the finished product. I initially looked at using the fin flashes from the kit but these were straight rather than slanted, so a solution was going to have to be thought of, and fast!

A few minutes later and I had designed and cut a paint mask  (I have said it many times before, If you don't have a Silhouette Portrait mask cutter, you really need one!) .

C951D6C4-3533-4CA9-8C9B-EFDC15E4B09E_zps

With the center stripe painted with Tamiya White fine surface primer, I covered it up and then sprayed the blue, along with spraying the front stripe with Tamiya Pink fine surface primer (this allows less paint to be used to get red)

44032422-0396-4FDE-8E23-607B5F2C3296_zps

I then sprayed the front stripe with Gunze Red Madder to give the final colours. The benefit of using Oramask 810 can be seen by its clear nature and ease of positioning due to being able to see underlying panel lines etc for orientation.

65D1CA36-1F59-4538-915D-7B27AC86446E_zps

Unmasked. Looks much better.

059499EE-EF9B-47A2-9F39-A86750CB6ADD_zps

With the 2 OCU markings applied. These decals were a bit better, although required lots of soaking to remove them from their backing and are a little inaccurate. I used Ventura decals for the serials.

14C1F4AC-FA70-4B25-8A96-1DEF4EC751D5_zps

• Starfighter, MostlyRacers, Victor K2 and 3 others like this

#354 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

Much better than the off-register decals, but, although it may be only a parallax-induced false impression, the white band looks larger than the blue and red ones (which is impossible considering the mask picture, btw)

Hubert

#355 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

Damn Eric! Really nice work as always!
Cheers
Alan

#356 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

:m0152:

That is some outstanding work.   Amazing!   

• alaninaustria likes this

#357 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

Much better than the off-register decals, but, although it may be only a parallax-induced false impression, the white band looks larger than the blue and red ones (which is impossible considering the mask picture, btw)
Hubert

Hi Hubert. I had a closer look at the white band. I am putting it down to the fact that it is brighter so it looks wider.

Cheers,

Eric.
  • MostlyRacers likes this

#358 ClumsyDude

ClumsyDude

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

Mate, looks super ... once you start with the masks it's hard to go back, there's a level of "truth" that you get with masks that can't be beat. I'm having fits with my hornet tail markings right now but wouldn't have it any other way.

Dunno how you'd do those 2OCU markings with masks but I bet it could be done ...

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude, 21 April 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#359 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

Mate, looks super ... once you start with the masks it's hard to go back, there's a level of "truth" that you get with masks that can't be beat. I'm having fits with my hornet tail markings right now but wouldn't have it any other way.

Dunno how you'd do those 2OCU markings with masks but I bet it could be done ...

Jim

I was considering it and I probably should have as I was thinking about cutting out just the Tiger head and masking the rest.

I next ran into the problem of the roundels. The kit has the correct ones for the intakes but the older style roundels for the underwing. The HPM decals featured the dark outline on the blue circles as per the fin flash, so were unsuitable and the underwing roundels were way overscale and also not suitable for the model. I decided to mask and paint them and am quite happy with the result.

Here is a pic of the mask set that I made up for the kit, 4 roundels, fin flash, wheel masks and some circles to cover the roo once painted to prevent overspray when applying the blue portion of the roundels. If you have a Mask cutter and would like this file then please email me and I will send it to you `on the house'

B60686E0-56C3-4134-BE96-8ADC2062FA1D_zps

The painted roundels look really good and I am still pretty chuffed that I can produce these on demand at home.

F2BA12E6-B1E0-4C64-9649-D50EFAC67D68_zps

951262DF-D109-4BD9-AC10-923787793880_zps

ED63A310-35C3-4CA4-A546-56D716A92D52_zps

Getting there!

1E65B9B0-18C0-4DE7-9F63-354B2531EDD1_zps

• Starfighter, LSP_Kevin, Martinnfb and 7 others like this

#360 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

It was time to paint an RPK-10. I had finished the construction of one tank and couldn't help myself. I needed to see my creation under a coat of paint!

I primed it and checked for flaws with Tamiya fine surfacer primer, before giving it a coat of Mr Surfacer black 1000. I then painted the nose with aluminium before giving the silver part a coat of AK worn effects fluid.

IMG_6124_zpsfbgxlrp6.jpg

I then mottled on a coat of base colour

IMG_6127_zpsypqqiyvq.jpg

A couple of thin coats of the base colour

IMG_6128_zps0d0kqnjo.jpg

I then applied the top surface cam colour and assembled the tank with the bombs. I am yet to weather the tank.

IMG_6129_zpsge3ivaae.jpg

On the model, they look pretty good.

IMG_6130_zpsfbvzgmms.jpg

IMG_6134_zpsnkz3xnnh.jpg

IMG_6135_zpswcbvhzpk.jpg

2/3rds done with the underwing stuff.

IMG_6136_zpsyirtk6ru.jpg

• Starfighter, blackbetty, Victor K2 and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users