Photo

F-16 Thunderbirds Tamiya: Evil Bay: 614 USD!!!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

PS no idea why when it comes to EBay people get upset about the free market, it's a great platform for connecting buyers and sellers and nobody is forcing anybody to buy or sell. To check out how a planned market works, move to North Korea.

Prezactly. "Evilbay" - I don't get it.  What's "evil" about it?  You sell, you buy.  Nobody's holding a gun to anybody's head.

• Youngtiger1 and Shaka HI like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#17 Starfighter Jock

Starfighter Jock

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

The kit is selling for a little over $200 on Amazon. Looks like a fantastic arbitrage opportunity.

Cheers,
Marcel

PS no idea why when it comes to EBay people get upset about the free market, it's a great platform for connecting buyers and sellers and nobody is forcing anybody to buy or sell. To check out how a planned market works, move to North Korea

Reasonable prices that a buyer would be willing to pay for a out of production kit.  I did some kit trading on one of the Facebook buy/sell groups and picked up a another Tamiya F-16C Thunderbirds kit, so always alternatives.

Kirk

• CANicoll likes this

"I don't always build jets, but when I do I prefer 1/32 jets"

1/32 Tamiya F-16C block 32 - 1/32 Academy F/A-18C - 1/32 Tamiya F-15C

#18 Tnarg

Tnarg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

Ebay has greatly changed since it was new in the 1990's. It might have been a garage sale when it started, but now it is a world wide market reaching almost anyone anywhere. You won't find the garage or estate sale prices there that you hope for, where sellers are uninformed as to the value of their product. You may find a careless seller who didn't spell the description correctly, and missed being seen by a competitive bidder. On the other hand, you could sell almost anything you want there, and reach buyers that you would never hope to at your own garage or even in your own newspaper ad.

If you already have access to a channel, like the trader's board here on LSP, just realize that this site gives you a much better deal than you would have had through any work or even luck on your own. (and thank you very much LSP, by the way). Ebay is actually worth the money, when you compare the prices that you'd get at the local IPMS swap meet with the sane bids you may get on Ebay. Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and can actually sell a kit for more than you paid for it. Usually, it goes for much less.

Tnarg

• timvkampen likes this

#19 ringleheim

ringleheim

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ebay is now pretty much the only place I buy model kits, unless I can get a kit from a mainstream online retailer for basically the same price.

If you steadily search for a given kit and are patient, and refuse to get in bidding wars or over-pay, you can get huge savings consistently.

Also, Japanese suppliers on Ebay are the only way to even think about going with Japanese kits.  The savings on big, fancy Tamiya kits of various types are enormous going through Japanese suppliers.

A recent Ebay snag was a lovely, new, Tamiya 1/24 Ferrari Testarossa...an old kit to be sure with relatively low value...but I got it for $3.74 in an auction!  

It still sells for like $30 at most mainstream online retailers in the USA!

• Shaka HI likes this

#20 DannyVM

DannyVM

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:47 PM

Ridiculous prices for a kit that's not really interesting to me. I dumped Ebay long time ago so in my opinion.....who cares :mental:

On the other hand, if people want to pay such stupid prices, well, let them.....it's their money so no harm done :evil_laugh:

Now it's time to explain the wife why their was 500+ $ withdrawn from the account :goodjob:

Greetz

Danny

• timvkampen likes this

28XK8T9m.jpg

#21 7713MC

7713MC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'd trade mine for three of those new GT Resin intakes for the Tamiya 1/32 F-14. Never going to get to it anyway. Catch me at pbtomcatfan@gmail.com

#22 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Evil? How so? I have something, someone else wants it. The price is just a product of how badly they want it and how rare the item is. The method of finding and striking the deal is irrelevant, surely.
  • Youngtiger1 likes this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#23 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,343 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Another lets ask for the sky and maybe we'll get lucky.
I only buy on eBay as a last resort and with a fixed price in mind. If it's more then that; I walk. I also refuse now to buy from overseas venders as the price for shipping is normally way too much. Yup, I'm learning to live without if necessary.
Peter

Edited by Peterpools, 18 July 2017 - 09:47 AM.

• Youngtiger1 and CANicoll like this

sExPqW.jpg

ZM 1/48 F4J Phantom

#24 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

I tend to look to Amazon before I look to EBay.  I've purchased items on both and as with everything - I buy if the price is worth it to me.  The last two words being the most critical.  But I do laugh at some of the prices I've seen on EBay for various things, however.

I have a Tamiya 1/32 Mustang - I wonder if I can sell it on EBay for $200?   :rofl:  :mental:

Chris

• Peterpools likes this

#25 SharkOwl

SharkOwl

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

Can somebody explain to me why Tamiya is simply not re-releasing the 1/32 Thunderbird F-16 and offering it on a

permanent basis ? Their mould is fully paid now and they can simply made a lot of money with it.

The same question can apply for the 1/32 Academy F-16.

:mental:

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl, 18 July 2017 - 07:55 AM.

• The Southern Bandit likes this

#26 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

How about re-releasing it as a version similar to their 48th scale viper kit that allows you to build virtually any F-16?

Chuck

• mark31 and SharkOwl like this

#27 Pete Fleischmann

Pete Fleischmann

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

What ever happened to Eric Yee? I used to buy kits from him-his prices were awesome..but I cant find his website anymore.

Cheers

Pete

• timvkampen likes this

#28 The Southern Bandit

The Southern Bandit

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Can somebody explain to me why Tamiya is simply not re-releasing the 1/32 Thunderbird F-16 and offering it on a

permanent basis ? Their mould is fully paid now and they can simply made a lot of money with it.

Often wondered this too, this kit I'd buy if it was available in UK at a decent price, and when I say decent price, just a regular Tamiya high price for a kit like this would do me. Is it the complicated decal sheet holding it back I wonder? or perhaps the in-flight stand the kit comes with that might be the bottle neck? Perhaps that part of the kit was outsourced? I really don't know, could be any number of reasons but would love one, have the 1/48 Tamiya Thunderbird F-16 that I will practise on should I ever score the 1/32 kit, spraying white has never been my strong point :)

#29 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

Would be nice if they just repopped it in grey plastic, with both types of inlet and nozzle, in a plain brown box marked "F-16 overtrees"

As for Ebay, it's a great facility to buy, but I have yet to try selling.

Tony
  • timvkampen and The Southern Bandit like this
Finally spraying again

#30 pzcreations

pzcreations

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Prezactly. "Evilbay" - I don't get it.  What's "evil" about it?  You sell, you buy.  Nobody's holding a gun to anybody's head.

I call it evilbay because of the companies 'buyer protection' policies which have become a well known source for thieves to take advantage of. Its getting to easy for buyers to make false claims in order to get the items for free...ripping of the honest sellers...yup..there were some bad sellers for a number of years, now its flipped ,and theres just too many scamming buyers, cause they know the buyer will win the case and get it for free!

• timvkampen likes this
www.TSHobbies.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users