Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

Just got to add my own tuppence worth and say that I really wish my pit looked as good as yours :bow: I used the BaracudaCast resin bits and added some pipes/wires but you've taken yours to the Nth degree, can't wait to see how it turns out :popcorn:

Gentlemen, Thanks so much for your replies and kind words! blush.gif

While I've had a chance to glance at some of your comments, it's only now that I've had an opportunity to respond, so thank-you all!

Hopefully I'll get a few minutes to post some further updates. I'm currently working on sorting out the plumbing for the engine and filling ejector pin scars in pipework. *sigh*

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Thanks Kev,

Assembler was the only way I could think of to introduce myself! Considering some of the scratch-builders within these hallowed halls I probably do fall more in to the assembler category than anything else. rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Wolf

Here's an over-all look at the completed airframe. While I was waiting for some supplies to arrive, the cockpit assembly was put on hold so I started in on the wings and had them finished by the time I was able to get back to the 'pit.

Once the fuselage was closed up I got to this stage rather quickly.

Spitwip1.jpg

Here's a quick peak in to the cockpit. Luckily, with the access door down most of the cockpit will be very visible.

Spitwip2.jpg

This is a shot of my rudder linkage. While not prototypical it works so I call it "close enough".

Hopefully they have abolished burning at the stake here at LSPunsure.gif Some of the schmutz visible on the tailplane and elevators is left over from the wet sanding.

I also drilled out the socket for the rudder position light.

Spitwip4.jpg

The wing to fuselage join was about as good as it gets. All that was required was a quick pass of a needle

in the pin vise to clean up the panel line. Ya got ta love Tamiya's engineering!

Spitwip5.jpg

Seein' as how I had a big empty hole in the wing leading edge I decided to scratch-build the visible end of the gun camera.

The lens will be added after painting.

Spitwip6.jpg

The only mis-fits so far have been the inserts for the machine guns and cannons as evidenced by the amount of Mr. Surfacer

to blend them in. I used a 3200 polishing pad to rub this all down. Any rivet detail lost in the process was restored with a couple of

quick turns of a .0078 drill bit.

Spitwip7.jpg

The rear join of the wing to fuselage was a little off as well. Tamiya have moulded a small step here, I think to match the panel line

but I found it easier to fill the join with CA and rescribe the panel line after everything had been sanded smooth.

Spitwip3.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

• 4 weeks later...