No Sanding Putty With Vallejo Plastic Putty

I thought I'd share this little tip using Vallejo Plastic Putty using a technique that requires no sanding. It make gaps caused by parts joining along panel lines much easier to deal with. In this case using a sandless filling technique is the way to go.

Vallejo Plastic Putty is not the end all worries putty! It has some good applications, especially in places that are difficult to sand, or you don't want to damage the finish on your model with aggressive "hot" solvent based putties. The big advantage of Vallejo is it being water soluble, so a cotton bud moistened with water can be used to remove it (before it dries), which won't affect the underlying surface. Great for quickly filling small gaps that don't need a perfect finish (like gaps along panel lines). Also for filling small gaps in your windscreen (a pet peeve of mine!), since most of us put windscreens on last after painting. A "hot" solvent based putty would damage the finish in that instance, but Vallejo won't. Vallejo seems to shrink a bit more than other putties, and it also does not sand to a feather quite as nicely as "hot" putties. But I find it is a good tool to have in the tool crib and it does come in handy at times!

Fill gaps with Vallejo Plastic Putty, level smooth with a spatula, and then take a water dampened cotton bud to remove any remaining putty from the surrounding surfaces that you don't want. Vallejo Plastic Putty is an acrylic based putty that is water soluble (before drying) and easy to remove.

MajorGappage_zpsf8627f61.jpg

Gaps that fall on panel lines are much easier to deal with.

Tools_zpsf6d13964.jpg

Tools of the trade!

After_zpsb2bacd8f.jpg

After using Vallejo Plastic Putty! Very easy!

SB.com doenst have the "Perfect Plastic Putty" by Deluxe, as I have also wanted to try that as well............but does list the Vallejo plastic putty..............just out of stock atm.  :( Bummer. Was going to add some to my next SB order. Oh well, will have to wait for it

It's great stuff to have in your kit bag.  Another nice trick with this stuff is that you can mix acrylic paint into it to colour it.  I have used this around the front windscreens to good effect.  It stops any of the white putty showing from the inside of the gap.  Just go a bit darker than your interior colour as it drys a bit lighter and don't use too much pant as it thins the putty too much.  So much nicer to fill in those narrow cracks and gaps around details, canopies and wing roots especially.

Dan

Good tip Dan! I usually use white glue around canopies, but this sounds an even better approach.

Kev

You can also do that with mr surfacer and cottonbuds dipped in Mr color thinner. Obviously you cant on a painted model, but for still unpainted surfaces it works great. I hade to do it several times on my ZM Ta152 (there is a lot of plates to build the wings and even if they fit very nicely, it is very difficult to have a perfect result).

A third solution is the gunze liquid putty (the white stuff "mr dissolved putty") cleaned with isopropylic alcohol. You can also dissolve (in isopropyl alcohol) yourselve some mr white putty in order to have a thick liquid putty. And there it is possible that you can do that on a enamel painted surface (i've never tried so it has to be tested).

Guest Peterpools

Just bought a tube and will surely give it a try. I also use Micro Scale Kristal Klear as a glue and attaching canopies. Use the same technique of a damp Q-tip to remove the excess and smooth things out before it dries.

Peter

I've used the Krystal Klear and Mr Surfacer method quite a bit before discovering Vallejo Plastic Putty. IMNSHO, Vallejo kicks all their rears by a significant margin in ease of use. In fact, I only use Vallejo for that job now (sand less putty). One big advantage with the long narrow tube applicator of Vallejo is you can provide precise amounts of putty in very small and confined spaces. I can't tell you how long shelf life in the tube is, because I've never had a tube last longer than 6 months because I use it so much now! Quite cheap also, a tube of Vallejo goes for about $3.50 in the USA.

Edited by modelingbob

Sounds like a great tip! Does the Vallejo seem to last a long time in the tube or does it dry out fairly quick and need replacement?

It seems to be stable. I bought a tube three or four years ago, misplaced it and just found it again these days. Still fine so far.

SB.com doenst have the "Perfect Plastic Putty" by Deluxe, as I have also wanted to try that as well............but does list the Vallejo plastic putty..............just out of stock atm.  :( Bummer. Was going to add some to my next SB order. Oh well, will have to wait for it

PPP is available on Amazon.

Just bought this stuff in response to this thread:

file_zps1a717d3f.jpg

Is it the same stuff? I couldn't find anything in a tube like what's shown in the opening post, but it has the same name and manufacturer. I'll be trying it out on the Texan when the time comes. I've also got a tube of Perfect Plastic Putty on the way, so it should be interesting to compare.

Kev