Making Your Own Decals

D Bellis

Interesting thread! About 5 years ago I was commissioned to build 5 Christen Eagles for Frank Christensen, the designer and builder of the 1:1 scale kit aircraft. I used the 1:32 scale Airshowmodels.com kits which had everything I needed...excvept the decals for Frank's original paint scheme.

Frank sent me the 3 views of his aircraft which helped no end!

I scanned the necessary views at 300 dpi, scaled them on Coreldraw and printed them on Bare Metal Foil Inkjet clear paper. The decal was as many have found out too translucent so I printed a second set and layered the decals with excellent results.

I used Microscale Liquid decal Film slopped on with a wide flat brush with no smudging of the ink...as was pointed out...fast is better!

Happy modelling from the Old Fart

Barney

Most of my inkjet papers suggest coating the printed design with acrylic clear coat, Krylon Krystal Klear to be exact. I have found it works fine, but takes usually two coats. In my case, I am using Epson K3 inks, which are water resistant (but not waterproof), which probably helps. The K3 ink is not good enough by itself, as I have tried and found out.

Thanks much for the kind words, guys!

Man, that is a tiny bird!
Sure is! Its wingspan is just under 3" (about 70mm). :D It would be so nice to have a stock Pitts kit available in 1/32. :lol:

Speaking of which, PM inbound Barney...

D

• 4 weeks later...
Can acrylic gloss varnish be used instead of the decal solution?

Don,

Since no one has tackled this one yet, I'll post what I know...

I've never used Krylon clear acrylic spray on decals. But, I have used it to fuel proof some of my R/C combat planes. That stuff seems to be rather thick and hard to use as a decal sealer before applying the decals. Seems to me that the decals would resist settling into details and might not lay down over compound curves. However, I have read on other modeling forums of others claiming to have successfuly used it for that.

If you try it, could please post your results here?

D

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to finishing & photographing the little Pitts:

post-30-1220290011.jpg

Note that the edge of the side decal's carrier film is visible. But, also note that your eyeball would have to be about 5" from the model to see this prespective.

• 4 years later...

Can I put in a plug for Greg at www.drawdecal.com? He does custom work, straight from your files, and his printer works in white and all the other colours, so you can put down a white background image, then overprint with everything else. He printed all my Comet tank decals for me, and they were superb. No hassle, excellent service, excellent product, dense colours that don't bleed, and white. Usual disclaimers, no commercial links, just a happy customer. It might cost a bit more than doing it yourself, but I reckon the superior results, and lack of personal anguish you get when inkjet decals don't quite work, are worth it!

Tim P