1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

wotcha folks :)

Taff - I may bring whatever there is to Telford, but it sure won't be finished! need to talk to Iain & Roy to see if I can get a spot on the 32SIG WIP stand (even though it's 1/24...)

..got another few sections roughed out and the more it comes together, the more I can see while I might have a vague outline, I don't have the smooth, sleek finish the real aircraft has, so I can see I will likely need to go down a car body filler route to fill the sinks between formers. I will also try filling it with that expanding foam stuff or something as I can see the filler cracking as it flexes - funny having a whole load of new problems to solve - if anyone has any experience with either please chime in :shrug:

..anyways - this is where I am at - I haven't joined this section yet as I might just have the break here & carry on to the nosecone so I can fit out the cockpit in a while..

WIP56_zpsfba276e2.jpg

WIP55_zps83e16d5b.jpg

WIP53_zps7731c5ff.jpg

WIP54_zps52934712.jpg

..time to pause & do some thinking... need to work out the best way to get a base fuselage that will need a vac form nosecone, add the tail & stub spars for the stabilisers, get a lot of rough shaping work done so the whole thing is the right shape & in primer, but still be able to access the cockpit..

..back soon

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Amazing work and enjoying each update. Absolutely see what you mean about a whole new set of problems to solve; my money is riding on you to persevere and conquer.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Inspirational progress Peter.

You make it all look so easy (though I doubt it is).

I wonder if this sort of stuff would translate to a 1/32nd scale dH-88 Comet..... :hmmm:

Watching this has me itching to scratch-build something. Keep it up and thanks for taking the time to show each step of the process in glorious detail, much appreciated.

Cheers.

thanks chaps, glad this is proving of worth to any of you..,.

I am certainly having fun and I would say it has not been difficult so far - yes there are some little tricks I have learnt about pre-bending the skins, score & crack parts close to the line not try & sand to shape, use PrittStick and do not hang about for it to dry as the templates start to peel - but that is it

genuinely anyone could do this...

anyways - this bit is for Brian...

..I start to see a recognisable shape...

..first I decided I might cast the nose in resin, or at least make a solid part as this will be easier to form and more to the point, heavy..

..so, cut card profiles by tracing from the plan...

WIP57_zps691a5539.jpg

..cut out the wheel bay area and slotted one over the other - marked with a sharpie so I can see the profile and CA'd together...

WIP58_zps25e851e2.jpg

..offered it up and while it was a simple little stage, I feel very differently when I look at it - it looks like a Tigercat...

WIP60_zpsa1af5b05.jpg

WIP59_zps07c88b08.jpg

WIP61_zps0c1618fd.jpg

WIP62_zps77dc5405.jpg

WIP63_zpsd84b137a.jpg

....thanks for the tips too guys - I think I will try laminating plastic to fill the 'sags' as the idea of scribing & riveting filler worries me (although the fuselage behind the wings are all raised rivets so not so bad), and I will fill it with that crazy foam stuff to hopefully stop any flexing..

anyways, it was a slow Friday afternoon 'working' from home so thought I would drop in...

TTFN

Peter

anyways - this bit is for Brian...

..I start to see a recognisable shape..

..offered it up and while it was a simple little stage, I feel very differently when I look at it - it looks like a Tigercat...

WIP60_zpsa1af5b05.jpg

Yes it does!!!!!!

Simply LOVELY work on my all time favorite airframe Peter.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hi Peter,

She looks great already!  :punk:

Really glad you enjoy the process. Keep it up!

Sagging of the fuselage skin between formers seems to be a paper modeling curse. Very common problem that happens not only to beginners. Not sure how this can translate to plastic, but in paper modeling there are some few things that help. First, the formers have to fit absolutely perfect. They can not be even tiny bit too big, because it will show. One should be able to slide them in and out without effort, there can not be any tension. Second, choice of glue. It's safer to go with a glue that will not make card soft (contact cement, CA, etc.). Any water based glue is a recipe for "cow ribs", especially for a novice. I'm sure you will be able to figure out if any of this solutions can be adapted in your build. 

Good news is, your medium is plastic and this is just the beginning. No harm done, and with little effort things can be fixed. In paper modeling that would be over ....

Love your work Peter!

Edited by Tomek