WnW AEG G.IV sharkmouth / Finito!

karimb

Totally in awe Karim, just flawless, nice work with the Aviattic night lozenge by the way!!

Regards. Andy

Hey Andy!

thanks for checking in on the build !

Aviattic lozs are a real pleasure to work with!

Guys good evening!

Very very quick update tonight, out of my hotel room in Zurich on a layover. I was planning on posting some photos tonight but it's just too late and i have minimum rest and will be on the road again tomorrow morning at 0725 local time. I have managed to gloss and decal the lower outer wings, and paint and shade the top outer wings. The lower outer wings have been permanently glued in place and i have also started on the struts and have installed three of them on the port lower wing and have left the outermost front port one to modify it to get the navigation lights glued on and wired for elec. also tied my first two rigging lines from the inner top wing down to the middle struts as those have been permanently glued in... strange as has been said on this forum before, on WW1 kits you work and push on on a million little subassemblies, and then when those are done things start moving at an incredibly fast pace, which is the case on this build. I basically have the top wings to gloss and decal, some weathering to do to tie it all together and the rigging and then i will unfortunately call her done. There isn't much left to do and i feel a bit of a void creeping in... me sad  :(

I have taken a couple of photos with the iPhone of the lower wings on, etc, and will post them tomorrow once i get back to doha in the afternoon. 

Till tomorrow's update you guys stay safe and thank you for the continuing support and for checking in on the build!

happy modeling!

Karim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone again sorry for a late update... the flying has been catching up with me with very little work in between flights done on the AEG. I have three solid days coming up where i have nothing and i intend on really pushing through with this kit. strangely enough when you build ww1 you find yourself submerged in a myriad of subassemblies and then when everything starts falling together you look around you and you notice the kit you're building is almost done... this has been the longest running build i have had to date...

I also noticed that i had failed to mention some of the details on the previous installments concerning the tail skid. The tail skid itself was made out of metal, i airbrushed it titanium which has a yellowish hue to the metal, then a coat of worn effects and then the color called out by the instructions then i chipped the paint before installing the part. The skid has received a brown wash but still has gotten no weathering and i plan on weathering it properly once i get to the point of laying down the pigments on the tail and fuselage to tie everything together weatheringwise.

The bottom outer wings have been weathered with a thin dilute light earth and light tan dusting to build up opacity and the lower crosses have been also weathered with tamiya smoke

Regarding the meager amount of work i have done on the aircraft since our last update,

The struts - Wnw has the outer struts keyed so you can't get them assembled wrong on the wing. I worked each wing side individually. The struts had been preshaded with a dark black and a light coat of blue green misted on top while the struts were still attached to the sprue. After cleaning up the attachment points the struts were retouched and installed. The struts have the rigging points molded into their lower part so judicious use of a 0.4mm drill was required to deepen up the eyelet attachment points. The outermost front struts were modified to receive the primitive (by today's standards) navigation lights. The nav lights were painted black then drybrushed with metallic gray. The reflective portion was painted matt aluminium and overcoated with clear red and clear green depending on the port/starboard side. The nav light assemblies received a wire that i then ran up the strut and clamped with thin strips of lead cut to simulate wire clamps on the struts. The struts received a dark brown wash.

The tail lifting, transport trailer thing - Nipped off the sprues, cleaned up and assembled. Still unsure where i am going to go with this but had in mind a pinstriped red and white chassis...or not. It is an accessory for the AEG so i haven't made up my mind yet as to wether i will be including it in the build or leaving it out. For the time being it is a side diversion that i will attend to while the decals will be drying up etc and i hope to have it finished by the time the AEG's rigging is complete.

The top outer wings - Same treatment given to the other flying surfaces. They are not back at the workshop in doha nicely waiting while the gloss coats are drying off during my layover in Brussels. Polish, night lozs and decals are next for those, then on with the rigging... By the way i was super impressed and that is a testament to how good wingnut wings kits are engineered when i drop fitted the outer top wings with NO struts in place and everything was solid as a rock. you'll see in some of the photos, for illustration purposes

Well that's pretty much it folks. I should be flying back tomorrow evening then as i said i plan to plod on with the build. Hopefully will have the upper wings decaled and glued in place. I reckon the rigging will not take more than a couple of hours as it is very easy and straightforward on this aircraft. Two cross rigging wires per strut bay and two flying and landing wires per cell on each wing....

I didn't manage to take proper photos with the Sony cam so i quickly snapped a couple with the iphone... the bench is in disarray so please bear with me too and i hope the photos illustrate well enough where we are at present...

Till our next update and proper photo shoot, stay safe everyone and happy modeling

Karim

IMG_6629-XL.jpg[/ur

IMG_6636-XL.jpg

IMG_6637-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%2015-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%2014-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%2011-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%2010-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%209-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%206-XL.jpg

FullSizeRender%204-XL.jpg

https://karimbibi.smugmug.com/Scale-model-Gallery/132-WW1-Aircraft/WNW-AEG-GIV-White-7/Work-in-progress-10/i-xxNbh8m/A][/url]

FullSizeRender%203-XL.jpg

Edited by karimb

Guest Peterpools

Karimb My Friend

Simply magnificent work. I've enjoyed following your journey and am awe of your abilities.

A joy to follow

Keep[ 'em coming

Peter

Looking very nice indeed Karim, are you using the Aviattic stuff on the wings as well or are they WnW decals as your pictures show the decal work on your wings are very dark compared to the fuselage decaling showing a much lighter blue hue?

Regards. Andy

Karimb My Friend

Simply magnificent work. I've enjoyed following your journey and am awe of your abilities.

A joy to follow

Keep[ 'em coming

Peter

Peter thank you for your kind words!

thanks for leaving a word, i am super glad you guys are enjoying the build!

Karim,

Loving seeing your progress. I'm amazed at the darkness of the underside lozenge.

Keep it coming.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz for dropping by!

I altered the wings to look a bit darker than the fuselage just for the sake of having less of a uniform finishing on the aircraft. It maybe shows starkly here but in the following photos which i will post below you will notice they are not as different as they seem to be in the photos above!

The decals are really a joy to work with!