1/32nd scale Avro Shackleton - scratchbuild project

tomprobert

Nice work, Tom! :speak_cool:

Please describe the process for the 3D printed nacelles...

Clark

Hi Clark,

In short, I have a friend who is an absolute whizz at 3D modelling and he has access to a top of the range 3D printer at his work. He very kindly does it all for me so I can't take any of the credit. Therefore, other than him sending me the 3D imagery for checking before it goes to print, I have very little input!

Tom 
   Simply a truly amazing build to date. Just the size alone is hard for me to comprehend.   Just one question, where and how do you plan on displaying the finished Avro Shackleton AEW2? It sure doesn't seam like it will fit into a standard display cabinet with 18 wide shelves
Joel

Joel,

I've build a few huge models over the years - I've got a fleet comprising of a 1/32nd Lancaster, 1/32nd Halifax, 1/32nd B-29, 3 x 1/32nd B-17s, I did have a 1/32nd B-24 but that was donated to a museum. There's also a 1/72nd C-17 and 1/72nd Boeing 747, plus a few 'smaller' models such as the 1/32nd He-111 and a few 1/32nd modern era fighters.

Therefore, I have installed in my attic some industrial shelving that sits nicely in the eves at either end of the loft, so that's where they all live. There's just space for the Shackleton, but after that I'm out of room. It's a pity, as I've also got a 1/32nd Short Stirling which I've already started work on, as well as 1/32nd Sunderland waiting patiently, too. And I've just taken delivery of a 1/48th B-52H. Therefore, some of the older models will follow the route of the B-24 and be donated to museums - providing they have large enough display cases!

Welcome back, Tom! Brilliant work, as always. The very first photo you posted, with the model on the bench, really gives a clue to the true size of this massive beast. Amazing stuff.

Kev

Thanks, Kev. The problem is, my workbench isn't very big. I've put in an application with the wife for a larger one, but so far permission has been denied  :(

So good to see this build back on the bench Tom.

Children at home for six weeks= bad

Your Shackleton back on the bench for 6 weeks = good

Regards

The school holidays are great for getting some serious building done, but with an 18-month old to look after, the good old days of a 9 till 5 at the bench are well and truly over. At least the little one still has plenty of naps during the day so I build when she's asleep and it's surprising how much you can get done in an hour or two!

As always guys and gals, thanks for stopping by and your words of encouragement are much appreciated  :)

Tom

simply breathtaking Tom - I can't wait to see it

I remember being blown away by how big the Halifax was, this is going to be something else :)

also super glad you have some time to spend on it now in the summer as I am sure we all are..

Peter

• 1 month later...

Need more of this!!

I know, I know...

I'm afraid there's been no more progress since the last update when I finished the engines. I was planning to get some serious bench time over the summer holidays but my wife has been working flat out on her new business venture and I've been on full time 'daddy day-care' for our daughter. I'm now back at school and teaching so there won't be any major progress for a while.

I've also been working on a 1/24th Airfix Hurricane which I picked up at a model show for a bargain £20 recently when I've had some spare time so the Shackleton has been banished to the loft of late. She'll be out again soon though, fear not.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Evening all  :)

I've dusted this off in time for a trip to Telford and decided to tackle the rudders over the last couple of weeks. You'll have to excuse the terrible photography as I haven't had the time to get the proper camera set up so I've been snapping away with my camera phone in the dark winter evenings...

I carefully removed the fins from the stabilsers and using the set of plans I have, cut the shape of the rudder from plastic card. As the real thing is an aerofoil shape, I cut what would become the leading edges from sprue, and mated these to the rudder hinge line:

24035832298_c00b5f3163_c.jpg

24035833508_d1d5ca3acc_c.jpg

Next up was to add some thicker plastic card to the forward third of the rudders to aid with the thicker forward part of the structure:

37167896133_5d5d07d14d_c.jpg

The thicker forward sections and aerofoil shape were then made up and blended together with filler:

38091466942_20e93da5aa_c.jpg

They were then primed with filler-primer, sanded sooth with some micromesh, and then I scribed the basic panel detail on to them. The riveting will have to wait as I can't find my riveting tool anywhere at the moment:

38091026642_5e873196a1_c.jpg

The rudders now fit nice and snugly to the fins themselves, which have now been reattached to the stabilisers:

38122595511_0923320e8b_c.jpg

And here she is sitting pretty on the kitchen table and ready for a trip to Telford next weekend:

38122594011_12bce95ace_c.jpg

As you can see I have also started playing around with the propellers, but more of that next time:

37413459174_4129026e59_c.jpg

I'll hopefully catch some of you at the Nationals - the Shackleton will be on IPMS West Kent so do pop over and say hello!

Tom