Really nice build Carl and one of my favorite aircraft.....this is coming together very quickly as well!!

Also, may I say Carl you are really cracking the builds out this year........keep up the fantastic work.

Regards. Andy

Excellent start. I will watch with interest. I have the RB production all resin kit in the stash, so I have not bought the Fly version but it looks like a great kit.

David

I was in the Hannants store near the RAF museum years ago and they had one in stock but I passed on it. I'd been pretty much kicking myself for doing so until the Fly kit came out.

I knew there are some accuracy issues with the kit but I've been really happy with it so far.

Really nice build Carl and one of my favorite aircraft.....this is coming together very quickly as well!!

Also, may I say Carl you are really cracking the builds out this year........keep up the fantastic work.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy!

I can't believe how quick since of these builds are going for me either. I think having consistent free time has helped a lot with that.

Fast forward, indeed!

Whats your idea about the wing attachment? Do you want to add some kind of wingspar to keep things straight for the years to come?

Regards

- dutik

I've looked online and only found one other build of the kit, which was dinner by James Hatch. He's used a couple brass tubes to brace the wings so I might have to do the same. The joint itself at the moment is fairly snug but it's pretty much a butt joint with a small tab for support.

Back to the landing gear, upon closer look at the images in the Kagero book I noticed that there are two spring supports instead of the kit provided single one and they're on either side of the arm and not the middle. I glued some sheet styrene to either side and once it was dry, I shaped them as best I could.

IMG_20160410_232548.jpg

IMG_20160410_234805.jpg

I also drilled out and added the pivot hinges as they helped to centre the arm in the gear bay.

The first pair I made weren't long enough and the springs weren't evenly spaced so I made a couple more.

IMG_20160410_232540.jpg

At the same time, I decided to sand off the moulded bands on the strut body and replace them with strip styrene.

IMG_20160410_232607.jpg

I also drilled holes and use styrene rod for the pivot between the strut and the upper leg.

With a test fit into the great bay, it looks and fits much better.

IMG_20160410_235146.jpg

IMG_20160410_235219.jpg

Lovely work, Carl! I wasn't aware you could buy miniature springs like that, so I must remember those in the future.

Kev

Thanks KeV!

They come in various diameters too. I have done that are 0.5mm in diameter. I thought they might be good for replicating the coiled oxygen hoses for pilots but haven't tried them that way yet.

Nice. You're a machine. Not sure how you progress so quickly given your personal obligations (that I've garnered on these forums)!

Thanks Shaka!

The biggest advantage I have is that I'm a bit of a night owl so as long as my boys are asleep at a reasonable hour I can get a couple hours in at the workbench. It's not every night but enough of them that I can make some progress.

My wife will also make me "take a break" and let me have bench time too so that helps.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR