My Shot at the Build - Raiden

LSP_Ray

I built one about a year ago and posted it here. I used the Gakken book from HLJ. It has tons of great color photos of the one at the Planes of Fame Museum. It is a really good kit for its age and was fun to build. I got a 1/32 N1K1 the previous owner barely started for a really great price. I might have to do this one to keep up.

Kyle

So Ray...

When do we stop chatting and start building eh?

:D

Don't get me started! Been having a very frustrating time getting to the workbench!!!

Anyway, besides, needed to spend some time researching!

I did start on the seat. First I found a vac (Echelon Hunter fuel tank) that was (somewhat) close to the shape I needed: Tank.jpg

Then, cut out some pieces and shaped them: Seat_1.jpg

Put them together...Seat_2.jpg

Made some detail parts (the strip is .04" half-round): Seat_3.jpg

Added those to the seat: Seat_4.jpgSeat_5.jpg

I think this looks loads better that the original: OrigSeat.jpg

Another shot of the seat, now with some rivet detail added(and a wash to see how it looked), temporarily placed in the taped-together cockpit:

Seat_7.jpg

You can see why I wanted a detailed one - it is very visible in this wide cockpit! Here is a pic of the real seat for comparison:

Seat_8.jpg This is from the Mushroom Publications book on the Raiden, which I think is the best English book on the subject!

Book.jpg

Moving on, I started on the instrument panel. First, using the kit panel plus photos I shaped a piece of plastic then drew on the instruments needed:

Instrument_0003.jpg Then I punched out holes for the instruments using a Waldron punch and die set. I also cut out the areas of the panel where there were sunken insturments. Kind of looks like Swiss cheese now:

Instrument_2.jpg

Adding some small pieces I added the recessed areas, and that curious L-shaped piece that is part recessed and part protruding panel. As the panel is on a slight incline, I can only assume this part is to be vertical in the aircraft for the compass and bank indicator as they are better off as horizontal as possible? This shot shows the panel with a coat of primer, ready for color coat. The black pieces are the backing which the dials will be added to. Instrument_0005.jpg Hopefully I will have a finished photo of the panel posted this weekend!

oooh...me likey soupski. That instrument panel technique looks very interesting indeed. Hmmm....have a few kits in the stash I think I'll try that on. Thanks for the demo. I'm surprised with the cockpit details in the pic...it looks pretty decent for a kit of that era.

Nice job on the seat...a great improvement :ph34r:

Cheers Matty

OK, some near-complete pics of the instrument panel. Ughh! It took longer than expected! Trying to get all the decals in the exact right spot is a pain in the ass! I might actually re-do a couple. Also, I think the green might be a little dark. I found a bottle of Tamiya "Japanese Interior Green" so I might overspray with that. Got a few surface doodads to add to the panel also.

Anyway, this will give you an idea of what the finish product will look like: Instrument_6.jpg

Here is what it is supposed to look like:cockpit_3.jpg

Here is what the kit instrument panel looked like: Instrument_0007.jpg

I'm surprised with the cockpit details in the pic...it looks pretty decent for a kit of that era.

Actually, the details in the cockpit are quite good! Unfortunately, many are wrong. ;) Painted up, it would give a decent effect, however, as rare as this kit is I want to give it a good go. May not get another chance.