Which 1/32 Kit and AM is Best for This Bird?

Gazzas

Guest Smitty44

The top of the wing skin was the cockpit floor.

Ya the Lone Star set covers that aspect. What I am not sure of is if it fixes any depth issues.

I believe that the Lone Star cockpit is the closest to the correct depth. CE also made a pit, which is deeper than the kit, but a little shallower than the LSM pit.

As a note, the kit pit isn't just a little shallow, it's ridiculously shallow. The seat sits on the floor and the pilot would have to sit with his legs straight out to fit in the narrow gap between the bottom of the IP and their floor. The other annoying thing is that the hatch on the side of the rear fuselage stand quite proud of the surface.

Hi Gazzas,

I had the great pleasure of seeing this bird in person and took some pretty decent walkaround pictures of the airplane.  I would be happy to provide you with copies if you would like them.  Just shoot me an email at cwveich@cwvmodels.com and I will reply with the pictures attached.  Fantastic subject by the way and I will look forward to your build.

Did anyone ever make aftermarket elevators that fit this kit? and where exactly do they fall short?

Thanks for any input,

Tnarg

Yes, but I think it was CE? If it was, it is long OOP. Master Details offers tailplanes for the D to N models, but I don't know how close they are to the B/C tailplanes, and they are designed for the Hasegawa kit.

Guest Smitty44

Yes, but I think it was CE? If it was, it is long OOP. Master Details offers tailplanes for the D to N models, but I don't know how close they are to the B/C tailplanes, and they are designed for the Hasegawa kit.

Well.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutting-Edge-1-32-Curtiss-Hawk-81-or-P40B-C-cockpit-set/232549005694?epid=4006444828&hash=item362500397e:g:I1QAAOSw2FxZ1DB8

From Tom Cleavers review :

cleaver32p40ba.jpg

Different scales but it gives you an idea.

Which ones are right?  When I look at the photo below, the cord of the elevators looks closer to Trumpy than Monogram:

a-beautiful-example-of-a-curtiss-wright-

Criminy that's a nice picture!

I digress.  The Lonestar pit is certainly a lot more inexpensive than the Cutting Edge pit.

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Gaz