Which 1/32 Kit and AM is Best for This Bird?

Gazzas

Hi everyone!

Even though the latter marks of the P-40 saw action in NMF, I have to admit that I much prefer the shape of the earlier models.   So, I want to do this one:  Photos for discussion only (probably gonna end up buying them...)

curtiss-p-40-tomahawk-at-duxford-GHK73E.

curtiss-wright-p40-warhawk-at-the-flying

a-beautiful-example-of-a-curtiss-wright-

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

Wrong versions. 

Okie Dokey ...

I've just spent the last 10 mins or so looking at reviews/builds here and on other forums ...

From what I can glean ... there are some minor accuracy issues ... but unless you're after sinless perfection they aren't as noticeable as on some of the other Trumpeter kits (eg. P.51B / Mustang III)

It seems to be that this would be similar to the P.47D I have in the stash ... a few errors - standing out only to the experts ... a fair amount of detail ... a little over engineered ... pretty good fit and finish - building nicely.

Personally ... having read what I have ... I'd buy it and live with it. I understand though, why others wouldn't!

Rog :)

I've read a few reviews since then, and the Trumpy doesn't seem too bad ...

Gaz

Yeah ... I read Jennings post - Jumped to conclusions - and forgot about his "anti-Trumpeter" bias initially ... on a second look, the kit isn't nearly as bad as some of their others ...

Certainly there doesn't seem to be too many fitting dramas ... as for AM ... take a look at Scalemates list.

IIRC the 'mess' so to speak for this kit is not beyond a few added after market items or just ignoring things. My hat will be off to Gazzas for taking on the NMF. That spit shine is a challenge. If one gets that right then no one will notice the kit faux pas.

Rick

My thoughts exactly ... the finish will be more difficult to achieve than anything else.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

The Trump is the only game in town for this version. Leave it or make the best of it and build it,  it's not their worst effort as a kit by any stretch.  I've built it and would say of all the their prop kits that I've built the worst is the P-51B followed closely by the Corsair.  The P-40 wasn't that bad other than the cockpit.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, the Trumpeter P-40 is an inceredibly easy and well fitting kit. As and early model, it's way better than the 1/24 Vintage Fighter Kits. There are some minor shape issues with the rear horizontal elevators, they appear to be a little smaller than they should be, but it's not something that stuck out as annoying on my build. Most everything fits very well, you will need a little filler along the front landing gear fairing (knees) at the front edge of the wing, and the cockpit floor is too shallow. You can actually scratch your own floor with some plastic sheet. I only used Master barrels and Montex masks.

I personally thougroghly enjoyed this kit, i built it OOB, the only thing I wished I fixed was the cockpit floor. If I build a second P-40, I would definitely do one of the early NMF pursuit squadrons.

Edited by 1to1scale

Thanks for the helpful replies!  I would love to "nail" this finish.  But to do that, I really need to get the surface detail as right as possible. 

Raised rivets where they belong and flush rivets, too.  And since I've never done a single rivet before, Flush or raised, it'll be a challenge.  Hopefully, I can foil over raised ones with little issue.

Gaz

From what I recall, the only AM cockpit that had the correct depth was the PE one from Part. It's a bit of a pain to put together though as each rib and former is a separate piece. I remember trying the various resin ones and they all were barely deeper than the kit one of at all.

The exhausts are fiddly to put together but there are/were resin replacements for them. I'll see if I can find who made them

Carl