Next GB: Colour my World Blue

BradG

Come on fellas there's a  lot of options. Added to those above;

Blue Malta spitfires

56th FG blue P-47's

Thunderbirds aircraft so long as they had the big blue thunderbird painted on the under surface.

French Mirage III's in upper blue grey

Overall RLM 76 Bf 109G and K's. Even if they had a little mottle over the blue that would be fine.

There were a couple of blue Hurricanes, a blue A6M2 Zero, plenty of special schemes around for F-18's and F-4s that have blue prominently in them. More than a few blue painted MiGs, Bangladeshi, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovakian, Romanian, Russian. 

What about WWII Russian with all the blue undersides, not to mention blue-grey camo?

Also don't forget the blue camo on late P-47D's by one of the Euro FG's (56th?).

I thought blue had to be a predominant part of the upper camo. If you count the underside, that opens up almost every luftwaffe aircraft, plus the RAF Middle East schemes with the Azure Blue undersides.

I thought blue had to be a predominant part of the upper camo. If you count the underside, that opens up almost every luftwaffe aircraft, plus the RAF Middle East schemes with the Azure Blue undersides.

Yeh it would be a bit too wide open if under surfaces were included. How about a French Heinkel 162 in overall blue for the Luftwaffe lovers?

Remember you've got French Naval aviation; Hellcats, Dauntless, Corsair, Helldivers, Bearcats. Uruguayan Navy Hellcats and Avengers, Royal New Zealand Air Force Corsairs and Avengers, Chilean Kingfishers...............

What about a capture Focke Wulf 190A-5 or 8 in blue? There's also blue MiL-17's flown by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, the Senegal Air Force and the Sudan Police. East and West Germany also flew blue MiL-8's. How about Czech or Tianjin Mi-4 Helo's or a RN Wessex or Danish Lynx.

Am I inspiring anyone?

There will be a subset of members who will have that response no matter what theme or topic we choose, but we need to choose something and let those who are interested in the topic start planning. The Stars and Bars GB ends only a month later, and will need a replacement too, which we'll draw from the suggestions already made here. Hopefully that one will interest you more.

Kev

It just seems that “blue†is much more limited than some of the other subjects suggested. I predict we will see a few WW2 Navy planes, maybe a Spitfire, and maybe one modern jet. I actually have five or six aircraft in my stash that would qualify as blue, but it just does not seem like a wide subject. One of the things I enjoyed about the group builds is the variation in what people build, it just seems like this subject will have predictable results.

Don't get me wrong, I will participate, I just implied that the subject wasn't very exciting.

Edited by 1to1scale

Inspiration yes. I am in for this build.

So now I just used this as an opportunity to have some fun looking through my decal stash and let the stash drive the short list:

Blue nose birds of Bodney - the new Revell Mustang

New Corsair decals from Fundekals - new Tamiya Corsair

MiG 21-MF Polish Air Force aircraft '6014' with Blue Swordfish - Trumpeter kit (stacking up as my first choice)

Civilian helicopter from the 2016 Christmas raffle ( first helo build for me)

A few kits...

Blue Squadron makings on one of the silver wing tween the wars biplanes

US Navy yellow wing bird with blue cowl and tail plane.

WNW something, the DVII shown earlier is tempting.

Rick

Jasdf did some camo schemes with blue on the F-104, F-4, F-15 Aggressors...Looking for a Luftwaffe F-4 that had blue tails, not sure if they had blue. Some yellow wing aircraft had blue on many of their fighters...

Don

Don

Apparently a number of F-4F anniversary schemes with blue.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/132128-revell-04785-f-4f-phantom-ii

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4F-Phantom-II/2453833/L?qsp=eJwtjDsOwkAMBa8SuYYCgSjSQUELBRewdl8%2BENiVbSmsotwds6IbzXuahUJ6Gz52LxnUkoIlDLShzMIvpXahJ8qcJDrTZXvomgcPgsYvmsTOxXVkwykEZEP8%2B6tEyG%2BChlrrvb5zgNwq0/7oPo6aJ64NGI8TresXDswv8g%3D%3D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4F-Phantom-II/2418991?qsp=eJwtjDsOwkAMBa8SuYYCgSjSQUELBRewdl8%2BENiVbSmsotwds6IbzXuahUJ6Gz52LxnUkoIlDLShzMIvpXahJ8qcJDrTZXvomgcPgsYvmsTOxXVkwykEZEP8%2B6tEyG%2BChlrrvb5zgNwq0/7oPo6aJ64NGI8TresXDswv8g%3D%3D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4F-Phantom-II/157484/L?qsp=eJwtjDsOwkAMBa8SuYYCgSjSQUELBRewdl8%2BENiVbSmsotwds6IbzXuahUJ6Gz52LxnUkoIlDLShzMIvpXahJ8qcJDrTZXvomgcPgsYvmsTOxXVkwykEZEP8%2B6tEyG%2BChlrrvb5zgNwq0/7oPo6aJ64NGI8TresXDswv8g%3D%3D

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/mdd-f4f-phantom-3849-luftwaffe-50-years-f-4-phantom--35-jahre-f-4f-2008-48-040-syhart-decal-syhart48-040-aircraft-scale-modelling-decals/product/?action=prodinfo&art=114945

Of course, it's easy to find pictures of aircraft in special blue schemes. The challenge may be finding decals for them.

Edited by Dave Williams

Would you like me to keep listing subjects 1to1? I've got more you can do in blue. I've listed  quite a few options and you just need to scratch the surface slightly to see how many aircraft have been done in blue.

BTW, I don't mind if 20 people want to build USN aircraft, I just want people building models.

Inspiration yes. I am in for this build.

So now I just used this as an opportunity to have some fun looking through my decal stash and let the stash drive the short list:

Blue nose birds of Bodney - the new Revell Mustang

New Corsair decals from Fundekals - new Tamiya Corsair

MiG 21-MF Polish Air Force aircraft '6014' with Blue Swordfish - Trumpeter kit (stacking up as my first choice)

Civilian helicopter from the 2016 Christmas raffle ( first helo build for me)

A few kits...

Blue Squadron makings on one of the silver wing tween the wars biplanes

US Navy yellow wing bird with blue cowl and tail plane.

WNW something, the DVII shown earlier is tempting.

Rick

There is also the Lukgraph Blue Goose Boeing F3-B Command aircraft. Imagination is just an issue there, not the availability of subjects.

Hubert