Captain Roy Brown's Camel

Bradleygolding

I'll be brutally honest.  The seat is beyond great, the Milliput seat belts not so much. WAY to thick, they look rolled out pizza dough.  I'd suggest you use wine bottle lid foil or lead foil or even masking tape (yes masking tape it's old school belts but works)

Cheers

Ron

Yeah, I know Ron, but like I said it's a test. I reckon I can roll them to 0.5mm which might be okay. I have seen the wine bottle lid treatment and the Tea Bag one used well. I don't know how thick the webbing used for the belts would have been. I'm guessing about 5mm, but it could have been thinner.

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding

Yeah, I know Ron, but like I said it's a test. I reckon I can roll them to 0.5mm which might be okay. I have seen the wine bottle lid treatment and the Tea Bag one used well. I don't know how thick the webbing used for the belts would have been. I'm guessing about 5mm, but it could have been thinner.

Steve

Actually, at 1/28th scale, I would suggest 3mm seatbelt width, and as Ron suggests paper-thin.

Hi Folks,

The photo below shows a genuine Camel Lap Belt and to me it looks quite chunky. It is clearly a Leather/Webbing mix and 4-6mm in thickness. At 1/28 that is 0.14-0.21mm, which is pretty thin. So yes Pizza Dough Milliput is not going to do it.

38570332891_526125e6a8_c.jpg

Steve

Hi Folks,

The photo below shows a genuine Camel Lap Belt and to me it looks quite chunky. It is clearly a Leather/Webbing mix and 4-6mm in thickness. At 1/28 that is 0.14-0.21mm, which is pretty thin. So yes Pizza Dough Milliput is not going to do it.

38570332891_526125e6a8_c.jpg

Steve

Yup-leather and cotton web fabric, which masking tape's texture closely resembles.

So whatcha got for an engines and guns?

Edited by Gigant

Hi Folks,

So like everyone here I have several parts on the go at the same time, but I thought I would share this game of "Spot The Difference" with you all. On the left we have the original Sopwith drawings, and on the right Revell's offering.

37872464604_23db636573_c.jpg

Actually the Fuselage is fairly accurate in shape even if it has all of the Wylam issues of curves where flats should be, foot steps in the wrong place, and cockpit decking too long. However that mess at the front is all Revell's doing. I suspect that they wanted extra big removable panels on the sides so you can see their detailed interior. The worst bit is the raising of the inlet manifold, which I only noticed when trying to sort out a scale instrument panel and not the Wylam one that is supplied.

Still, build a 1959 model, what do you expect.

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding

Especially since you have more room then with a smaller-scale kit,

You could just glue the hatches in place, sand the bulging seams flat, fill in the area with putty, and with a circle template and a pair of dividers, see about re-scribing their outlines.

The bolt-heads for the hatches you can get from "inSCALE":

http://inscale.org/public/?p=10160

For the intake ports, flatten and fill the old, drill and install tubes in the new.

Are you thinking of using Copper State Models Clerget engine in 1/28?

Edited by Gigant

Already glued, filled and setting.

The inSCALE bolt heads look interesting although they don't seem to do the right sort of fasteners. As you say the intake ports are easily fixed.

I need a Bentley engine, and as I said earlier, the one in the kit is sort of half way in between a Le Clerget and a Bentley. My plan is to modify it, which at the moment looks doable. I am trying not to use any after market bits, although there do not seem to be many for this kit anyway. I did find some PE, which might have been Copper State? I will look at the engine out of curiosity.

Steve

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update. Actually managed to get some paint on today. Okay, it's only undercoats and primers, but it is progress.

37930531824_2ed5808115_c.jpg

Still got some filling and rubbing down to go. I'm quite pleased with the results so far I think.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's a busy time of year. Christmas is coming, Bushfire Season has stated, and I slammed my finger in the front door. I have managed a little Sopwithing, but not much.

Re positioning the fuel access (both were in the wrong place!

38891804462_29d2547cd2_c.jpg

Moving the step.

27150788649_5ed6127dc8_c.jpg

And some interior detailing.

24062946967_5850435b2b_c.jpg

Steve.

Thanks. It's the first time I have tried that technique. Might be a bit dark.

Steve

You might try adding some bright color to both highlight your framing as well as adding a wood-grain effect.

Here is a nice detailed build link, where the builder shares his actual interior colors for a change:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2007/05/stuff_eng_gronczewski_camel.htm