Captain Roy Brown's Camel

Bradleygolding

Hi Gigant,

I'm thinking what goes under the instrument panel, stays under the instrument panel. So if you can't see it from the open cockpit, then no.

Here is the seat ready for wickerwork.

26600113169_d90c3fabc7_c.jpg

And with some untightened EZ line wickerwork. I had not realised that EZ Line was flat so I may re do it with something else.

38320830716_5f7aecb1de_c.jpg

Steve

Hi Gigant,

I'm thinking what goes under the instrument panel, stays under the instrument panel. So if you can't see it from the open cockpit, then no.

Here is the seat ready for wickerwork.

26600113169_d90c3fabc7_c.jpg

And with some untightened EZ line wickerwork. I had not realised that EZ Line was flat so I may re do it with something else.

38320830716_5f7aecb1de_c.jpg

Steve

You know this kit uniquely comes with an accurate intake manifold and carburetor set-up, and removable inspection panels, which some pilots at times left off altogether?

I don't think WnW's kit goes that far.

Hi Gigant,

While it's true that Revell have modelled an aft of the fire wall system, I would question how much of it is accurate. The Inlet Manifold bears little resemblance to any I have seen in my research of WW1 cockpit photos and is an extended Y shape. All of the ones I have found are T shaped! If the side panels come off I will have to build all of the cartridge ejection tunnels and Castor Oil Tank. Of course the differences with the inlet may be due to which engine is used, and which engine Revell think they have made a model of? The engine in the kit is a sort of cross between a Le Cerget and a AR/BR1. Now I know that essentially they are the same, but there are differences and the engine here sits right in the middle!

Steve

Maybe that is why nobody else bothers to model it.

But, knowing those guys back then from reading their articles in the scale modeling mag's back then, I figured that they must have literally crawled in and around one in a museum somewhere, especially to come up with that amount of detail back then.

Remember, we, and they did not have all the specialty picture books then, and especially the advantage of "Google-search" as we do now, so that tells me that their work was more painstaking then our "instant computer graphics" stuff you see now.

Now when you say a "T", is that from a plan-view or an isometric perspective?

I ask this because if you carefully look at the correctly assembled parts,from a plan-view perspective, there is no "Y". The "long-horn-look" as I prefer to call it, comes from a vertical drop from the location of the fuselage side openings to achieve alignment with the propeller/engine drive-shaft's center, and would not be obvious from a "top-down", or plan-view.

Edited by Gigant

Gigant,

Like I said earlier, I think that Revell used the Wylam drawings from 1946 for a lot of the kit.

Essentially it's a T in plan. The upright bends 90 degrees after a few inches and goes to the engine. There is a replica Camel in Canada that has the Y inlet. In most cockpit photos the large horizontal silver tube at the bottom of the instrument panel is the inlet system, and this is certainly a standard installation on Le Cerget/AR/BR1 engines.

Steve

Hey look, when I opened the box and saw all of the parts for the inlet system I thought it was great, it was only when I began to look at Camels properly I realised how wrong it seemed.

Steve

In fact this page of John Shaw's Camel Reproduction deals with the Inlet Components: http://www.johnsshawaviation.co.uk/wordpress/le-clerget-9ba-rotary-engine/sopwith-camel-engine-controls-ancillaries/

Edited by Bradleygolding

Hey look, when I opened the box and saw all of the parts for the inlet system I thought it was great, it was only when I began to look at Camels properly I realised how wrong it seemed.

Steve

In fact this page of John Shaw's Camel Reproduction deals with the Inlet Components: http://www.johnsshawaviation.co.uk/wordpress/le-clerget-9ba-rotary-engine/sopwith-camel-engine-controls-ancillaries/

Amazed at the 'wicker' seat.

Gaz

Very interesting Steve. Looking forward to more.

Hi Folks,

Of interest, this is what Revell have concocted as the detail aft of the fire wall, it is of course 100% better than WNW effort as they have nothing here at all, but as to how accurate it is? Well I have found Le Clerget carbs that are like this, but they are not the norm on the Camel. In Revell's version there is not really enough room for the Castor Oil tank which sits directly above the Carb. And the Y shaped inlet manifold is not standard.

38415120932_93e0245955_c.jpg

Here is the latest work on the seat, and my first real use of Milliput, which I have to say I did not like at all! I am a P38 man, but the fumes are far worse. I will persevere with Milliput.

37559692305_d69af864e2_c.jpg

And lastly, the latest present in the Post. I did not know what to expect of this, but it is really good and contains a wealth of information and photos, many of which were taken by the man himself during WW1. I just wish that the photos had been printed at a better quality as the colour schemes on offer are really interesting. Pups, Tripes, Camels and SE5s of all hues.

38417003962_c289e65357_c.jpg

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Bradleygolding

With a little love, you might turn that bit of unleavened dough into a cushion.  I have faith in your abilities!  I like milliput, except for the fact that even hardened, it will gum up the teeth of a file real bad.  The question is, was it purple paisely, or leather?

Gaz

Hi Gaz,

Yeah, the cushion on a Camel seat is essentially a very simple flat leather one. Thanks for the confidence. The Milliput I am using is about four years old so maybe I should buy some more? I don't know of a filler that does not gum up file teeth, a brass wire brush should sort that out though. It's just a new skill set to learn, and one of the many with this build..

Steve