AT-28D "Zorros" - FINISHED!

Jari - You are a master at finding pics! Thank you for sharing them. Yes, I do prefer dual seats.

Ernie - I recall you mentioning the fictitious box in one of your build threads. I've found pics of the extended rear seat panel cover, but as you indicate they were for the stock seats installations. All of the pics I've found with the Yankee seats are from ground level, and you can't discern what is behind the front seat. Neither the fictitious box or the rocket are glued in place yet, so I can still figure out what would be best way to represent this area. Since it is so visible through the canopy, maybe a combination of both: extended cover and box. No apology necessary and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mike 

Guest Clunkmeister

Mike, there are so few pictures of the Yankee Seat installation, so it's so darn hard to say. I like to deal in absolutes, so not having hard evidence is frustration.

Personally, I'd extend the panel forward as per a stock aircraft. My personal feelings, anyway.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Hopefully, these links work. 

Here's a good pic of the area behind the front seat. Although this is a stock seat, it does show how far forward the rear IP cover Ernie mentions extends. You can see the small step where the back of the extended IP cover ends and the where the front cockpit bulkhead ends. I'm assuming this is where the extraction rocket would mount. After seeing this pic, I believe the box behind the front seat the kit provides is fictitious as Ernie states.

http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/d/347592-3/T-28C_Trojan_0130.jpg

I also found these pics which show green wheel wells. Granted these are museum birds, so whether these are typical or not, I don't know:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/t-28/images/wam_t-28d_08.jpg

http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/d/766229-2/T-28B_0059.jpg

http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/d/766223-2/T-28B_0057.jpg

I going to go with what Ernie suggested and extend the rear IP cover just short of the seat armor, and I'll mount the rocket on the small step. I'll add a bottom mounting plate for the rocket.

Mike

Guest Clunkmeister

Mike, I take no credit for this information. Brian did research, and Harold did plenty as well when he was designing the resin parts.

Shane, well, he just knows. I'm just the transferer of information.

As far as the wheel wells go, all Navy birds were white. Period.

No clue on USAF birds. Possibly green as was common with the Air Farce?

Most D's were converted from retired USAF T-28A's, but many were Navy birds transferred out as surplus. So who the heck knows... :)

Pac Aero probably just did their own thing. :)

Thank you Brian, Harold and Shane for researching and knowing, and thank you Ernie of the transferring.  And thank you Jari for the pics you are finding and sharing. This is one of the main reasons I visit and enjoy this forum is the willingness of the members to help each other out. 

I've made some progress on the build. I closed up the fuselage, added the engine assembly, extended the rear IP cover, and added the rudder:

befPwIP.jpg

I've left some parts off the engine assembly since it'll be closed up. But, I do need to add some ballast, so it doesn't end up being a tail sitter.

I've also installed the dive brake plug that Harold makes. With a little bit of sanding and scraping, the fit was pretty good. The few gaps were dealt with by Mr Surfacer:

ckRIjEa.jpg

I've also assembled the wings and horizontal stabilizers, and they'll be attached this week. Then, I'll start getting the cowling on.

Overall, I'm very impressed how well this kit goes together. I hope their F-5E kit is done by the same team that did this kit!

Mike

I was able to make some progress on the build over the weekend. The wings and stabilizers are  attached as is the cowling. The cowling was a bit of a challenge to get aligned and installed. The upper left panel did not want to line up with the other sections. It took a bit of sanding and scraping to get it somewhat close to fitting properly, but I still had to do some minor surgery to address the step that resulted in the front lip of the cowling after it was glued. 

bi7qsXn.jpg

It's getting close to being ready for the paint shop. I've started on the landing gear and propeller. I also need to start thinking about what ordnance to use on it. I'll definitely have the wing gun pods with maybe four Mk 82 or maybe a pair of Mk 82 and some rockets. Nice to have options.

Mike

Looks great so far! The little T-28 is one of KHMs best fitting LSPs to date.

Brian - yeah, it's been a pleasure to build, a real gem of a kit. 

I've a made little progress on the build this week working on the propeller. I used the hub from the kit and replacement blades Harold has made.

2lDuxKG.jpg

rA0lhdS.jpg

I tried my hand at adding some chipping to the blade edges; I tried not to over do it.

I've read from a couple of other LSP WIP that the shaft is too long. I should have addressed this before assembling and painting the propeller. I'll have to see how difficult it is to trim down the shaft without breaking one of the blades. 

I also started on the ordnance for the build. I didn't like the looks of the kit's Mk 82's, so I dug out some left over Tamiya ones from the spare parts bin. 

wilt8VF.jpg

I wanted to weather them up a bit, so I tried the salt weathering technique. This was my first attempt at this technique. Although it's hard to tell from the photo, I was able to get some of the blotching effect but not to the level I was seeking. More work required on these and more practice with the technique!

Need to finish the landing gear and get the build ready for the paint shop.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update for the evening. My intention was to have open canopies to show off the cockpit, but there are too many errors and mistakes. So, the canopies were closed. On the next build of this kit, I'll hopefully do a better job and be able to have the canopies open.

After masking the canopies and engine, I laid down a coat of black Mr Finishing Surfacer. Nothing like a coat of primer or paint to point out imperfections! Once they were addressed, I was ready to lay down to first camo color. 

uBDBTQu.jpg

Db8ZXW8.jpg

Tomorrow is forecasted to be a rainy day, so it'll be a good reason to spend the day in the hobby room working on the build. I'll start on the dark green and then finish off with the black.

I NEED to get a better lighting setup for taking pics!

Jari - You are a master at finding pics! Thank you for sharing them. Yes, I do prefer dual seats.

Ernie - I recall you mentioning the fictitious box in one of your build threads. I've found pics of the extended rear seat panel cover, but as you indicate they were for the stock seats installations. All of the pics I've found with the Yankee seats are from ground level, and you can't discern what is behind the front seat. Neither the fictitious box or the rocket are glued in place yet, so I can still figure out what would be best way to represent this area. Since it is so visible through the canopy, maybe a combination of both: extended cover and box. No apology necessary and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mike 

That's exactly the reason I haven't worked on the rockets or the brackets for them, I have no clue how they are configured. I have the pilots manual with nice drawings, but they are drawn with cutaways around the seat parts. So they don't show the back at all. 

The weather forecast turned out to be correct. It rained all day, and I spent just about the entire day in the hobby room. Every once and awhile I get the luxury of today!

The morning started with the USPS delivering a JH Models jig/stand I finally decided to purchase. I didn't realize it was a little project itself! After getting the jig put together I shifted gears to painting the build. I started with painting the dark green. For me, holding the build while painting camo invariably leads to a finger or thumb print in the paint. And sure enough, it happened.

fsuZOgG.jpg

I finished off my Floquil Weathered Black paint on a previous build, so I went searching for a replacement to use on this build. I came across a line of paint called Tru-Color, and they had a Weathered Black.

VXSHkE3.jpg

Anyone use this paint before?

I finished off the camo with this black. It's definitely blacker than the Floquil version.  

z0cCWQO.jpg

6J7u9oJ.jpg

There are a few spots where I need to do some touch-up, but overall I'm happy with the paint job. I'll need to tone down the black though.

Next up will be painting the underside.

Edited by Dragon