AT-28D "Zorros" - FINISHED!

Guest Clunkmeister

We were, weren't we. Owned the world for a week. Man, I had a GREAT time. I'm really looking forward to next year. The three of us might go a bit insane and try NOT to get arrested..

The museum was a wild trip with the whole crew acting like 10 year olds and the women shaking their heads in pity. Brian I still have hose blackmail pics of y'all riding the F-14 and Space Shuttle. I would have used them except y'all have the pic of me taming the kiddie flight sim.

:rofl:

Edited by Clunkmeister

We were, weren't we. Owned the world for a week. Man, I had a GREAT time. I'm really looking forward to next year. The three of us might go a bit insane and try NOT to get arrested..

The museum was an a so,ute trip the whole crew acting like 10 year olds and the women shaking their heads in pity. Brian I still have hose blackmail pics of y'all riding the F-14 and Space Shuttle. I would have used them except y'all have the pic of me taming the kiddie flight sim.

:rofl:

Hey, those were some of the funniest pics we took! 

And back to the regularly schedule program!

Ernie - I completely agree! I can't find any solid pics of the cockpit interior or seats. Just tid bits of partial seat pics. 

Jari - as always you come up with great info, thanks for sharing!

Rob - ask away. More questions the better as it will helps out everyone.

Like most of us, I started on the cockpit. For me this is the most enjoyable part of a build, too bad it's mostly hidden. I had to use some of the left side console decals (they were still settling as I took the pic) as I jumped the gun and glued it in before thinking about what I was doing. I still need to dirty up the cockpit with a wash, but I'll wait unit I get the seats done. It's not accurate, but it looks the part to my eye. 

2Q3rCKIh.jpg

v2hTtF3h.jpg

W3D77Tdh.jpg

Up next will be the Yankee seats done by Harold along with the IPs.

wm8bGFmh.jpg

I haven't determined how I'm going to replicate the rockets and associated assemblies. With the lack of pics, I'll just have to wing it. I'm open for suggestions. 

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Weekend update.

I've made a little progress on this build. Some of my free time is being taken up by an old Air War Over Vietnam GB F-4J build I'm trying to wrap up after 2 years.

As for this build, I've built a couple subassemblies and done some painting.

QWz8BOJ.jpg

I have the engine done.

8qfvti3.jpg

I was going to paint the IP, but I decided to give the decals try instead. I missed on both decals in getting them centered on the instruments  :BANGHEAD2:.  I don't think I'd have any luck with the side IP decals, so I will paint them!

lMrSjVl.jpg

I added a little more paint to the cockpit and dirtied it up a bit with a wash.

dMhISJR.jpg

Next up is finishing the seats and then figuring out what to do about the Yankee seat rockets. I've been unsuccessful in locating any pics of them mounted in the AT-28. I think I'll have to reference them in Skyraiders and improvise.

Mike

And back to the regularly schedule program!

Ernie - I completely agree! I can't find any solid pics of the cockpit interior or seats. Just tid bits of partial seat pics. 

Jari - as always you come up with great info, thanks for sharing!

Rob - ask away. More questions the better as it will helps out everyone.

Like most of us, I started on the cockpit. For me this is the most enjoyable part of a build, too bad it's mostly hidden. I had to use some of the left side console decals (they were still settling as I took the pic) as I jumped the gun and glued it in before thinking about what I was doing. I still need to dirty up the cockpit with a wash, but I'll wait unit I get the seats done. It's not accurate, but it looks the part to my eye. 

Up next will be the Yankee seats done by Harold along with the IPs.

I haven't determined how I'm going to replicate the rockets and associated assemblies. With the lack of pics, I'll just have to wing it. I'm open for suggestions. 

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Don't forget the braces on the sides of the seat..just a couple styrene rods will work. 

Edited by Harold

Guest Clunkmeister

One thing, Jari,

I'm not 100% sure that the wheel wells on T-28s were ever green.

In Navy training service, they were typical US Navy gloss white.

When rebuilt by Pacific Airmotive to AT-28D's, I believe many retained white wheel wells, or most possibly went to a light grey similar to the overall exterior color.

But if you have any documentation on green, I'm extremely interested, as I've been constantly adding to my slim book of knowledge on these unique aircraft.

Just in the last two years since this kit's been out, we've discovered all sorts of little nuggets of info.

Check with Shane, aka Wrbdmech here on LSP. He wrenches on them on occasion, so if anyone would know, he will...

Jari - Thanks for the pics! Appreciate your help with them.

Don - Thanks for the encouragement!

Harold - Yep, haven't forgotten the rails, just haven't attached them yet, and finding good pics of the rockets is proving a real challenge. It's time improvise!

Ernie - I have no evidence to support the interior green for the wheel wheels, just wanted to use up some green paint.

No progress this week to report as it was just a wonderful week at work! I had no energy for modeling after getting home. The grandkids are here this weekend, so it's unlikely there will be any time or energy to spend on the build. 

Mike

After scouring the internet for solid pics of the extraction rockets for the past couple of weeks and finding a limited few, I finally took the plunge to attempt my hand at scratch building. While I have seen some amazing scratch building done by some masterful builders on this forum, I am not one of them.  My goal was to get a close approximation resembling an extraction rocket. It took me several attempts to get something that looked like the rocket in the pics. There were three main components I wanted to capture: the rocket nozzles, the main rocket cylinder and the cylinder side arms/brackets.

AisDwRs.jpg

And here they are in the cockpit. They haven't been installed yet, just sitting in there for the pics.

Zo4shSL.jpg

L4v6ZB8.jpg

JeBQZUr.jpg

I still need to figure out how I want to represent the bottom attachment of the rear rocket. I was able to hide the front one within the enclosure behind the front seat. I'll probably fabricate a mounting plate from some flat styrene stock.

I'm happy how these turned out, and I discovered I enjoyed the scratch building. There may be more of it in future builds.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Guest Clunkmeister

Mike, I'm going to need to check re: Yankee Seat installs, but one thing I neglected to point out in my previous builds is that the box behind the front seat is a work of fiction from what I can tell.

On a normal T-28, and AT-28D, the rear seat panel cover and glare shield needs to be extended forward into the space where that box is now.

Double check your references, and I apologize, I should have pointed this out before you built it. Now maybe it IS there with the Yankee Seat installations and the glare shied is chopped to kit size, I'm not sure, but for ALL regular non ejection seat equipped T-28s, the glare shield should be extended.