Photo

Would you purchase a resin conversion for the Dragon Bf 110?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

Poll: Bf 110-G Nightfighter Conversion (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you purchase a resin conversion for the Dragon Bf 110?

1. Yes even if I had to place a deposit of half the amount ($75 of $150) that would be refundable if the project didn't go forward (27 votes [30.34%])

Percentage of vote: 30.34%

2. Yes, if the deposit was no more than $50 (7 votes [7.87%])

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

3. Yes, if the deposit was only $25 (5 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

4. Not if any up-front cash was required (12 votes [13.48%])

Percentage of vote: 13.48%

5. Not interested in the airplane (38 votes [42.70%])

Percentage of vote: 42.70%

Vote

#406 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

Thanks, Rog, for the clarification. I was told the FWs were on deep back burner.

My point is not to slag off on them, and I apologize if it appears I did. It's just that they were suggested as a possible "out" for the dilemma of two AM makers converging on the desire among the denizens of this forum for a G-4. Perhaps Gary has been in touch with them, I have no idea with whom he has talked, and I don't want to speculate one way or the other. But until ZM says "we're working on a G-4," I think we need to resolve whether Gary is going forward (it sounds like he is NOT despite many here asking him to stay the course), and if there is room in the hobby for two conversions sets.

Hey Bill,

You seem to be full of comments and opinions, why don't you step up and put your money on the line? Step up man and be counted!

For someone wants something, you sure have a funny way of showing it with your comments here and on the Corsair thread, and yes baring some extenuating circumstances the BF 110G set is dead.

Going take a break and calm down a bit!

Edited by ghatherly, 21 September 2017 - 10:02 PM.

• harvey likes this

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

dd34971d-1dff-4d25-b610-dddb8f8ab69c_zps

#407 Artful69

Artful69

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

Thanks, Rog, for the clarification. I was told the FWs were on deep back burner.

My point is not to slag off on them, and I apologize if it appears I did. It's just that they were suggested as a possible "out" for the dilemma of two AM makers converging on the desire among the denizens of this forum for a G-4. Perhaps Gary has been in touch with them, I have no idea with whom he has talked, and I don't want to speculate one way or the other. But until ZM says "we're working on a G-4," I think we need to resolve whether Gary is going forward (it sounds like he is NOT despite many here asking him to stay the course), and if there is room in the hobby for two conversions sets.

lol ... no worries there ... Perhaps it was in the wording? ... at the very least, If ZM was to take up the task it might well be years before they could bring a kit to market.

I have no idea on the timeframe needed to develop and produce a kit ... to their exacting standards ...

Kevin mentioned some time ago that during a discussion with Neil (HK Model) the G-4 was mentioned and he seemed enthusiastic about the idea.

But he has a Lancaster to finish which has been 5 years plus in the making ... as well as a P-51B and a Ju-52 which are currently in development.

Our best short term hope remains as a conversion for the Dragon kit.

According to the post made by Pastor John - only 2 days after your poll thread started here - he had put off doing a conversion himself some time ago as there was already one in the works?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that he might be referring to the one that I was attempting to push along ... regardless, the timing of the recent post would indicate a rush to bring something to market ahead of any competition.

If you recall my initial post outlining my basic requirements for a conversion, you'll see that I referred to HpH and AIMS (without knowing about their plans, obviously).

In order to market any product successfully it must at least look professionally done ... and have very specific instructions in order to make the task idiot proof, while requiring the bare minimum of modification to kit parts.

While AIMS conversions can be made to look spectacular when finished, the skill level required to wrestle them into that position - not to mention the knowledge required on the subject matter - is beyond most ... even here - And this for a number of reasons.

This basic requirement needs to be understood by anyone bringing a product to market ... we're not all elite super scratch builders!

I speculate that perhaps unclear guidelines, along with missing parts, poor choice of mediums used and an expensive exit price has probably lead to reduced sales outcomes (a total of 7 for the previous one I believe?)

As has been indicated on this thread ... if AIMS is the only product to go to market - more than a few interested parties will bow out ... 

Certainly I'll be one of them! ...

There are 30-40 people here who would have been willing to offer up some form of downpayment in advance - on a GOOD workable product ... right from the opening bounce!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69, 21 September 2017 - 11:05 PM.

• Bill Cross likes this

#408 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,955 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

I read on FB that John indicated the 110 conv is almost done. I still wish Gary had carried on.....Harv

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#409 Artful69

Artful69

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:57 AM

I read on FB that John indicated the 110 conv is almost done. I still wish Gary had carried on.....Harv

Yeah Harv ... It appears that way ... how long it’s been worked on, I have no idea ... the “announcement” only happened after this thread started ...

He seems to indicate that the product will hit the market by Christmas, although with every AIMS product so far there have been delays. What is really frustrating here is that a very simple and easy - yet detailed - product in the pipeline has been shut down ... just because someone wants to beat it to the punch with their own ideas for what everyone wants.

I’ll reserve judgement on what is produced until I see it ... but my substantial gut tells me that it will be more of the same that we are used to seeing.

I look at the potential for marketing success wholisticly. Unfortunately most scratch builders or modellers with a very advanced skill set tend to produce things that are complex - even for them - to work with. further, they expect everyone to graduate to their level and defend what is produced by saying that if you are a dedicated modeler you should be able to work with whatever you are sold and be grateful. I am quite sure that you will find the best selling items worldwide to be those that have applied the KISS principle from the get go - using mediums and skills that are mostly commonplace for the average modeler ... and require as little fuss as possible to achieve the end result ... it’s not always about the initial popularity of the subject!!

• DougN and harvey like this

#410 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Yeah Harv ... It appears that way ... how long it’s been worked on, I have no idea ... the “announcement” only happened after this thread started ...

He seems to indicate that the product will hit the market by Christmas, although with every AIMS product so far there have been delays. What is really frustrating here is that a very simple and easy - yet detailed - product in the pipeline has been shut down ... just because someone wants to beat it to the punch with their own ideas for what everyone wants.

I’ll reserve judgement on what is produced until I see it ... but my substantial gut tells me that it will be more of the same that we are used to seeing.

I look at the potential for marketing success wholisticly. Unfortunately most scratch builders or modellers with a very advanced skill set tend to produce things that are complex - even for them - to work with. further, they expect everyone to graduate to their level and defend what is produced by saying that if you are a dedicated modeler you should be able to work with whatever you are sold and be grateful. I am quite sure that you will find the best selling items worldwide to be those that have applied the KISS principle from the get go - using mediums and skills that are mostly commonplace for the average modeler ... and require as little fuss as possible to achieve the end result ... it’s not always about the initial popularity of the subject!!

But no one said "stop" to this (supposedly) "better conversion that the people want". The decision was taken by the tentative manufacturer, who can still change his mind. You see, the beauty of resin is that there is no commitrment to large runs. If this was injection-moulded plastic, the manufacturer would neet to commit to thousands/tens of thousands of sets in order to amortise costs. But resin can be made on an "on demand" basis. Make them in batches of ten units and then re-make them as they sell. If they don't sell, there is no major financial loss. 

There are a multitude of "duplicate" conversion sets. Take for example an "open engine for the Bf 109 G-6". Aires makes one. Eduard makes one. Each has its advantages and drawbacks. I have both and I will combine them. At least I have the choice. 

That is the essence of competition: be better. Anyone who said "Usain Bolt is on the track, I won't run" already lost. Those who did not give up eventually outran Usain Bolt. Look at this as an opportunity: let Pastor John bring his kit to the market, inspect it, then make a better kit. Outrun him. :-)

Radu 

• DougN, harvey, Artful69 and 1 other like this
For scale model accessories and tools, please visit my store at www.radubstore.com

Please visit my website at www.radub.com

#411 mozart

mozart

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

Well said Radu, spot on!  I imagine, having no experience like you do, that splitting elements of the conversion into separately available "packages", for example the Schrage Muzik set, the rudder set, the nacelle set, would make it easier for the producer to make on demand and not have to risk large outlays on a full conversion that ultimately may not sell well enough.

Max

• harvey likes this

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk

#412 JohnT

JohnT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

I confess I am not that good a modeler or enough in the know to comment on the merits of various products.  One thing I would say  though is that if the proposed conversion - from whoever - has a partial new back canopy done in the medium of a vac form while retaining the kit injected parts "up front" then it will be beyond my meagre skills to make them look like they belong together on the same model.

An all Vac canopy perhaps, or an all resin one or injected plastic one but mixing the mediums just looks  off to me.

If a set does come out with that combination I hope that someone else might just run off some resin replacements to give a uniform appearance to the finished product.  Hmmnnn..... an AM set for an AM set????

Edited by JohnT, 22 September 2017 - 01:02 PM.

• harvey likes this

#413 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hey Bill,

You seem to be full of comments and opinions, why don't you step up and put your money on the line? Step up man and be counted!

For someone wants something, you sure have a funny way of showing it with your comments here and on the Corsair thread, and yes baring some extenuating circumstances the BF 110G set is dead.

Going take a break and calm down a bit!

Gary, I will say I'm not the only one here who wonders how you treat your enemies since you are so prone to **** on your friends.

I have said from the beginning I would be happy to put up money for such a set. In fact, I encouraged you to get deposits so you would not run up this G-4 hill and find out only a few of us were following you. But you said you didn't want to do that, and that's your business. However, you're out of line (and it's not the first time) with someone who has consistently supported you and your business.

I have no idea what you mean about "the Corsair thread," but you seem singularly qualified to take offense where none is meant, and see animus where there is none. I have overlooked that as best I can in the past, but no more. I will be hiding your posts from now on, life isn't worth dealing with negative assholes.

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#414 imatt88

imatt88

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

Radu,

Good to see you.

I agree with both of you. I hope Gary reconsiders his decsion and would be willing to produce say 10-15 sets to see if they sell.

Pastor John would have his set for sale and Gt Resins would have theirs.

Kind of like Eduard and Airies

That would work for me

Cheers, Ian

bth_470_maiden0.jpg

Only THE greatest rock band in the world

#415 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Rog, I have been drawn into something that has now spiraled into the personal and is getting ugly. For the record, I was totally unaware of Pastor John's G plans when I urged Gary to undertake this project.

My understanding from him was that he was aware of the competition, but it didn't bother him. I could of course be mistaken. I'm working full-time and frankly don't have the interest in sorting out these high school spats or keeping track of who said what when to whom.

I purchased a Dragon kit in case this thing came to pass. I'm sure I can sell it, because at this point, there's too much bull **** flying around here. Maybe when it all settles down I will feel differently, but I'm disappointed in the conduct I've seen and I don't frankly want anything more to do with this thread or this topic.

That being said, I wish you all well, and hope that a good G-4 kit emerges at some point. It's a helluva plane.

• Out2gtcha likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#416 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

But no one said "stop" to this (supposedly) "better conversion that the people want". The decision was taken by the tentative manufacturer, who can still change his mind. You see, the beauty of resin is that there is no commitrment to large runs. If this was injection-moulded plastic, the manufacturer would neet to commit to thousands/tens of thousands of sets in order to amortise costs. But resin can be made on an "on demand" basis. Make them in batches of ten units and then re-make them as they sell. If they don't sell, there is no major financial loss. 

There are a multitude of "duplicate" conversion sets. Take for example an "open engine for the Bf 109 G-6". Aires makes one. Eduard makes one. Each has its advantages and drawbacks. I have both and I will combine them. At least I have the choice. 

That is the essence of competition: be better. Anyone who said "Usain Bolt is on the track, I won't run" already lost. Those who did not give up eventually outran Usain Bolt. Look at this as an opportunity: let Pastor John bring his kit to the market, inspect it, then make a better kit. Outrun him. :-)

Radu 

Radu,

I want to ask how you make PE, do you make a few ant then make a few more?   As established a company as yours and with your expertise in the German props, I would think that you would be a natural to produce a conversion set.  You make fine stuff and I use many or your items, so I say this sincerely.

I was asked to do this BF 110G project by Bill Cross and some others and as I was clearly told that no one was making a set.  I was told that AIMS has said to be working one but that it has been on the works for years anon progress.   Those were half truths at best, and I have said so.   

What I can say is that your concept of resin production is both correct and very wrong.  For simple accessory items that take no time to master and are low in sales then you are spot on, you make the items as needed.   You are completely wrong with conversion sets which require professional production methods like you reference for Injection plastic.  Why is injection done in large batches, because the molds are expensive, the process is expensive in requires specialized equipment, so hundreds if not thousands have to be made, plus service spares.   Eduard called them Over-trees.

The reality is that with a set like his you have come to the same conclusion Have, it is expensive to produce done correctly and you are not willing to spend the investment in a set that have less than a 50% chance of profitability.   Having degrees in Engineering and Project Management I can get very clinical if you like with a mathematical analysis, and the math does not lie does.

If competition were an issue, then GTR would not be going into 1/48 scale or investing  $50,000  in resin injection equipment to produce that product line.  Why, because there are 1000's and 1000's of buyers.    There at best 100-200 buyers for this product.   Some will buy two so lets say 300.   To invest the resources of that small number are poor with an exclusive and a looser with a second company supplying those 300 kits.

I know everyone is disappointed, but please don't blame me.   Also,  please stop finding fault with AIMS in an effort to express your support.   I do not care for that, especially when his product is not out.  I appreciate the support and confidence that everyone has expresses in our company and brand.

Edited by ghatherly, 22 September 2017 - 02:06 PM.

• Clunkmeister likes this

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

#417 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Radu,

Good to see you.

I agree with both of you. I hope Gary reconsiders his decsion and would be willing to produce say 10-15 sets to see if they sell.

Pastor John would have his set for sale and Gt Resins would have theirs.

Kind of like Eduard and Airies

That would work for me

Cheers, Ian

Hey Ian,

Thanks for your support and I really do share the disappointment all of you are sharing.   

To address a couple of your points to clarify and help clear up some bad examples Radu made.    

Whether I make 1 or 1000, there is a cost of product development that is a given number.   Lets say that Development cost $100 for discussion purposes.  If I make 1 kit, then all of that development 100 cost is applied to the 1 produced.  The max sale price is $10, so the 1 produced takes the full development hit of $100.   If I make 1000 items, then the development hit is $1 per set and the $10 set generate gross profit.   The final net profit that is left after the overhead and bills are paid is strictly a management issue.  In the end the make hopes to have $1 left after taxes and overhead.

Neither Aires or Eduard make conversion sets.  They make accessories and there is a reason why they do not make conversion sets,  they are not profitable. Hence the cottage industry has seen modelers make sets form time to time.  It is not by accident that most of the aftermarket is in Eastern Europe where costs of labor, insurance, taxes, and lack of regulation make  operations profitable.  CE existed in the US because of cheap family labor, when that source disappeared it closed up.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks, Gary

#418 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Rog, I have been drawn into something that has now spiraled into the personal and is getting ugly. For the record, I was totally unaware of Pastor John's G plans when I urged Gary to undertake this project.

My understanding from him was that he was aware of the competition, but it didn't bother him. I could of course be mistaken. I'm working full-time and frankly don't have the interest in sorting out these high school spats or keeping track of who said what when to whom.

I purchased a Dragon kit in case this thing came to pass. I'm sure I can sell it, because at this point, there's too much bull **** flying around here. Maybe when it all settles down I will feel differently, but I'm disappointed in the conduct I've seen and I don't frankly want anything more to do with this thread or this topic.

That being said, I wish you all well, and hope that a good G-4 kit emerges at some point. It's a helluva plane.

Funny Bill how you insult people you have mislead and then act like you have the moral high ground.   Shame on you for acting like you are better than others just because you are called out.   I say again, if you are so sure about this, then put up the money.......... I Guess not as it is easy to gamble with others money, but lack the courage to do it yourself.   Yes Bill that is personal and I am very hurt and mad with you and at how you have conducted yourself.  You should be ashamed of yourself, but I doubt you are.   Enough said.

Many Thanks, Gary

#419 Artful69

Artful69

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

Radu 

Radu ... amazingly, for once ... I'm in complete agreement with you ... apart from the "(supposedly)" quip - but that's really neither here nor there ...

While I can't begin to understand all the technical in's and out's ... and start up costs ... of producing a set like this (CAD work, kit and equipment purchases etc), I too, was wondering where thousands of dollars could/would be spent initially.

Certainly the idea to produce the set in short runs (even at a higher cost per set) was what I would have been initially expecting ... given the first few pages of dialogue in this thread.

Given that a lot of people are averse to vac formed components, I'd still say that any complete resin set (with the caveat on professionally presented) would outsell the standard AIMS type of merchandise.

The Pastors product seems to be squarely aimed at those with an advanced skill set ... 

I'm sorry to see this happen, Bill - the personal stuff, I mean ... Being an independent observer I can see what's happened on both sides ... and, reading between the lines - it seems that there are some very frustrated parties ... and some things that should be better unsaid?

I think we should all take a collective breath ... stop the blame game ... and see if a creative solution can be worked out so that, perhaps Gary can be encouraged to produce something, in such a way, as to make money ... even it it is just to break even and reclaim on money invested to date!

I point to Radu's thinking, above ...

I think the majority on here had no idea about the AIMS effort until his post suddenly made an appearance - 2 days after your poll started.

What seems alarming to me - is that Decals are underway and 3D items are being manufactured ... and a product (200 of one and 200 of another! :huh: ) ... is now due for Christmas??

That definitely has me thinking: Mmmmmmm?

Even now, with this project riddled with smoking holes ... there's only 54 posts on that thread while we're up to 415 posts here ... admittedly 20-30 here have been a bit of argy-bargy rubbishy stuff.

But the ground swell of enthusiasm here ... and contribution ... and willingness to invest not just time and resources and ideas ... but also downpayment ... has me wondering why Radu's idea couldn't work?

• Bill Cross likes this

#420 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• LSP Moderator
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

Gents, in the interest of forum harmony I'm going to lock this down now as it is serving no positive purpose in continuing.

I'm sure if there are any changes in plans then Gary will announce accordingly.

Iain

• LSP_Ron, Alburymodeler, harvey and 2 others like this

1280-4.jpg

Iain Ogilvie - http://www.aeronut.co.uk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users