my WW2 hero died today

npb748r

Frank Barnes was a rear gunner flight sergeant on 298 squadron, flying Halifax Mk7's. Based at Tarrant Rushton in 44, the squadron moved to India in early 45 and stayed out there until mid-46 flying provisions over the "hump". He later became a fireman in the London fire brigade, serving during the 50's, 60's and 70's. Most of his stories were brigade related but his occasional telling of war adventures got me hooked on WW2 and in particular aircraft. It was a short jump from that to aircraft modelling, filling every home I have had since the early 70's until present day with model kits, books and all the stuff that accumulates with it.  Although unassuming, his wartime life included losing his 17 year old brother on HMS Mourne just after d-day and later that year his family home, a couple of rooms on the first floor of a London Victorian terrace house in Kilburn, was destroyed by a V1.  At 95 he was pleasantly old, it makes you realise that it wont be too long before the last surviving WW2 veteran leaves us. Although I will miss him massively I have all the memories, stories,  his wartime records and far too much paint, plastic and glue (according to my wife) that he gave to me. He was my hero, he was also my dad.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, as Peter said Another of the Greatest Generation....................he had a wonderful history.. keep him close to your heart.......  I am lucky, my dad is 95 and still chugging along.....I'm very lucky....