Airfix 1/24 North American P51D/K Mustang (Mk. IVA)

Sparzanza

Glosscoat applied over all decals except for the ones underneath, which I will be able to spray in a couple of days. It went fairly smooth with the odd spit here and there from my Badger 150. The blobs were erased by brushing them flat and respraying over them. I am 99% sure I have escaped any and all silvering at least!

WzsygFK.jpg

IMh2h3F.jpg

Mz3BhYK.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Nice job! Gloss coat looks like glass and the decals really make the whole colour scheme pop!

Thanks! Yes, once you get a hold of a good tin of Humbrol 35 gloss varnish, you're in for a treat. It dries to a high gloss and a rock solid finish. It's almost a shame that I will spray satin over it once I'm done with the pinwashing...

Oh sorry, ladies and gentlemen! I have forgotten to take pictures of my pinwash. It's going forward. I am using MIG's dark wash, along with Tamiya's black panel liner.

I realise these are both enamel products... on top of an enamel varnish. That sits on top of enamel paint. So far it's going well though; as long as I am careful there's no drama in removing excess wash with cottonbuds and some enamel thinner.

I'm feeling a bit torn as to whether to apply this pinwash around certain protruding areas though, or just keep it in the panel lines.

Edited by Sparzanza

Some progress pictures of my pin wash.

Droptanks:

j4Kp9Xk.jpg

Lefthand side:

FOAS9Ut.jpg

Overview:

fnO3Cl8.jpg

Close up of the engine cowlings - I put the wash around these protruding hatches. Maybe I shouldn't have? I think it looks good, though...

WB3wFDA.jpg

I also did this around the many edges of the tail:

pSxzG0F.jpg

Underneath:

Lpgs8HV.jpg

And now all I need to do is clean it up and spray a satin varnish over everything, and prepare for the final weathering. Wish me luck!

This Mustang of yours is looking mighty fine.  So great to see it in another camouflage rather than NMF.  You are going great guns and the Spitfire looks a treat too.   :D

Good luck with the satin finish!

Dan

Thank you Dan! With any luck she'll be done before christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

I owe you guys an update. Basically I had sprayed the top of the plane with Humbrol's satin cote product.

jyCk1mo.jpg

No issues there at all. It sprayed smoothly and was touch-dry within minutes. Two days later I could wetsand it because I spotted some imperfections. Seeing as I wouldn't shoot more around the cockpit, I decided to remove the Maskol from the windscreen. And... well. As you can see, it looks awful. It was glued on with Micro Kristal Klear. I guess I should have put some more effort into it.

dkIDLEk.jpg

So I decided I will try to mend it. With Tamiya white putty. First I needed to decide how much of the bottom I needed to sacrifice to make it look ok once painted. I did this with Tamiya's bendy tape.

qnvfrYJ.jpg

OHpSeRQ.jpg

Then it was just a matter of masking off its surrounding areas to avoid getting filler in unwanted places.

5ynVdOj.jpg

Added filler.

HJJ4WLE.jpg

How this little surgery will go I do not yet know, fairly unknown territory for me. I hope it will go well.

While the filling and sanding process is moving forward in a pretty ok fashion - I've gone and done another mistake. Apparently I hadn't sprayed enough varnish on the lefthand side of the fuselage, so after I pulled off the tape covering the letter "B" - most of it went right along with the tape. :( This is even after taping it on my pants first to rid the tape of some of the adhesive.

Fingers crossed that Airfix supplies spare decals as well, otherwise it'll be the shelf of doom for this one...

That's frustrating! You've invested so much time and effort so far, and you're so close, don't let it go back on the Shelf of Doom. It's beautiful. Someone must have a set they can spare. I have a couple of earlier versions of the Airfix kit with 442 Squadron markings, but not sure if it's this particular aircraft. I'll check tonight.

Richard

That's frustrating! You've invested so much time and effort so far, and you're so close, don't let it go back on the Shelf of Doom. It's beautiful. Someone must have a set they can spare. I have a couple of earlier versions of the Airfix kit with 442 Squadron markings, but not sure if it's this particular aircraft. I'll check tonight.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I've already emailed Airfix about a new "B" decal, but chances are they will be unable to help. Worst case scenario would be that they only sell spare parts, not decals...