Soooo, Moderators, any thoughts on the next Group Build?

dmthamade

Excellent! Toss

I might be tempted to join this one. I'm thinking old Revell Bf-109G painted with hairy sticks and 40 year old Humbrols, Gloy and Airfix paints That sounds pretty Jurassic!  :thumbsup:

Either that, or something Airfix and 1/24 from 1970.

Best regards;

Steve

Excellent! Toss in the tube glue and tape a couple of fingers together to simulate being about 9 years old and you are good to go.

Rick

Can I ask a dumb question? Besides motivating some of us (by using peer pressure) to actually finish a project, what is the point of group builds? It seems like a bunch of people get one going, then post the final products, then it's over. No fanfare, no nothing. I did a group build a while back, and I must confess that it felt a bit anti-climactic. Maybe I'm missing the point, and I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just wondering if there is a way to make them more fun. Maybe get a supplier to sponsor a GB and everyone who finishes an entry within the deadline gets a small reward of some sort? Just spit-balling.

Tim

Can I ask a dumb question? Besides motivating some of us (by using peer pressure) to actually finish a project, what is the point of group builds? It seems like a bunch of people get one going, then post the final products, then it's over. No fanfare, no nothing. I did a group build a while back, and I must confess that it felt a bit anti-climactic. Maybe I'm missing the point, and I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just wondering if there is a way to make them more fun. Maybe get a supplier to sponsor a GB and everyone who finishes an entry within the deadline gets a small reward of some sort? Just spit-balling.

Tim

I participate in group builds for a few reasons. I've enjoyed learning who Edgar Brooks was and while building a Spitfire I've learned so much about an aircraft that I previously knew little about. In the Winkles Wings GB, I learned about Eric Brown and his accomplishments, also learned a lot about the IL2M3, another aircraft I knew little about and "talked" to Learstang,  Sturmovik Guru and author of a book about it. Along the way I've met many great guys that offer support, ideas and knowledge. For me, this is what makes group builds fun, rewards or prizes have no bearing on whether i'll participate or not.

Don

I enjoy GBs very much. I like the fact that there is a theme so we're all working within at least one set of common parameters and, crucially, I'd call it the support rather than peer pressure from other builders. As Don said, you can also learn a lot from others about techniques and different types of aircraft.

I was the "host" of a Tiger Moth STGB on Britmodeller a couple of years ago - I made it my business to "be there" for all; offering advice, encouragement, information and photographic references when necessary but I also decided NOT to have a vote as many GBs do to pick a winner. I don't have a problem with winning but I do feel for the chaps who get no votes at all, that's just plain discouraging.

Max

Edited by mozart

Ni

Excellent! Toss in the tube glue and tape a couple of fingers together to simulate being about 9 years old and you are good to go.

Rick

Nice one Rick!  :rofl:

I may also have to read a copy of Warlord comic and scoff packets of "Space Dust" while I'm waiting for the paint to dry...and I'll throw my Dad's copy of the Saturday Night Fever sound track onto the turntable for some background music while I'm at it. Actually, that's all a pretty average day for me...I spend every day simulating being a 9 year old!

Had a dig through the stash. My choice is the old Revell Bf-109G or the Spitfire Mk Ia. I built both as a kid and it would be so much fun to build them again old skool style!

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

I may well be in, depending on running dates and other stuff I have on.  I'm thinking a Storch - the Hasegawa one was released in 1979 according to Scalemates, and it's the very boxing I have.  I've also got a Matchbox Tiger Moth, so that's a possibility as well.

... It's mind-boggling to think that this iconic widely known and manufactured aircraft hasn't been issued in our scale since then!
Max

Yep, I'll agree with that.

Ni

Nice one Rick!  :rofl:

I may also have to read a copy of Warlord comic and scoff packets of "Space Dust" while I'm waiting for the paint to dry...and I'll throw my Dad's copy of the Saturday Night Fever sound track onto the turntable for some background music while I'm at it. Actually, that's all a pretty average day for me...I spend every day simulating being a 9 year old!

Had a dig through the stash. My choice is the old Revell Bf-109G or the Spitfire Mk Ia. I built both as a kid and it would be so much fun to build them again old skool style!

Best regards;

Steve

I brush painted those kits and my favorite - P-40 AVG Shark Mouth.

Rick

I brush painted those kits and my favorite - P-40 AVG Shark Mouth.

Rick

The Revell P-40 would be my first choice as I built that one as a kid too, but I can't seem to find one on Ebay this side of the pond that isn't silly money (mainly due to postage). I remember it being a pretty good kit with amazing surface detail for a kit of that vintage.

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

off the top of my head, the contenders are:

Revell Phantom P-51 Mustang stuffed full of Dragon and AM details

Revell/Lodela Typhoon

Revell P-47D Bubble Top

Revell Stuka JU-87B/R

Hasegawa A6M5 (oooooold boxing)

Revell Japan Ki-61 Tony

Revell P-40 (forgot about this one)

Edited by Shawn M