Soooo, Moderators, any thoughts on the next Group Build?

dmthamade

Does anyone know when the Tomy 1/32 kits originally came out? They were reissued by Swallow and more recently by Doyusha, but no one seems to know when they first came out. I have a couple of the Doyusha reissues, and the plastic certainly looks pre-84 vintage.

That Hasegawa Me262 I recently bought should be perfect

The seventies vintage Hasegawa jets immediately spring to mind here (revealing my "blow torch bias").

In addition to the Schwalbe, we have the F-86, F-104, F-5, A-4, F-16...all quite decent offerings, especially for their time.

I might be tempted to join this one. I'm thinking old Revell Bf-109G painted with hairy sticks and 40 year old Humbrols, Gloy and Airfix paints That sounds pretty Jurassic!  :thumbsup:

Either that, or something Airfix and 1/24 from 1970.

Best regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

So far the Tamiya Tomcat is looking good for me, though i did forget about the old Hasegawa kits. Wheels and Wings in Toronto usually has older kits in stock, looks like time for a visit soon.

Don

Looking forward to this Kev...

But curious...why the year 1984? Sounds very Orwellian!

Rich

That just seemed to be the year after which Revell and Hasegawa took a hiatus from 1/32 releases, and the 'modern' approach to tooling and surface detail started to kick in (recessed panel lines and extra detailing). If you've found an 'old school' kit that was released after 1983, we're happy to consider it. Most of what we now consider to be the classic LSP kits were released prior to this date, however.

Kev

Does anyone know when the Tomy 1/32 kits originally came out? They were reissued by Swallow and more recently by Doyusha, but no one seems to know when they first came out. I have a couple of the Doyusha reissues, and the plastic certainly looks pre-84 vintage.

I think they're all most certainly pre-1984, Dave. We don't have any dates on those kits in our database, so I suspect that the kits themselves aren't marked with one. So, even if you have one, you can't tell when it was made. But they're as old as the hills.

Kev

I think they're all most certainly pre-1984, Dave. We don't have any dates on those kits in our database, so I suspect that the kits themselves aren't marked with one. So, even if you have one, you can't tell when it was made. But they're as old as the hills.

Kev

Thanks, Kev. They remind me a little of the 1/48 Otaki kits in being quite "modern" for the time with recessed external detail at a time when almost everything else was being done in raised panel lines.

Lots of options still out there. Not only the old Revell and Hasegawa kits, but Matchbox and Monogram (remember the Phantom Mustang?) also made vintage 1/32 kits. And then there are the old 1/24 Airfix kits.

Edited by Dave Williams

I have a couple, no dates anywhere. Consensus seems to be '70s. :shrug:

Thanks, Kev. They remind me a little of the 1/48 Otaki kits in being quite "modern" for the time with recessed external detail at a time when almost everything else was being done in raised panel lines.

Lots of options still out there. Not only the old Revell and Hasegawa kits, but Matchbox and Monogram (remember the Phantom Mustang?) also made vintage 1/32 kits. And then there are the old 1/24 Airfix kits.

Plus Williams Bros, plus I am sure some smaller Japanese manufacturers (and is the Tamiya F-14 their only pre-1984 1/32 kit ?)

Hubert