Soooo, Moderators, any thoughts on the next Group Build?

dmthamade

Soon be time for the next Group build, and wondering if a subject has been thought of/chosen. May seem early to decide, i just want to get ready for the winter build session. Really enjoyed the Winkle's Wings GB, looking forward to what the next one brings.

Don

We have indeed, Don! Not sure if the theme will suit you, but it'll be another Tribute GB, this time in honour of our fallen former staff member, Dan Lo Russo. Dan was quite a well-known dinosaur sculptor, not only contributing works for museums and displays, but designing a range of small scale replica toys that I believe are still available to buy.

So, to honour Dan's dinosaur association, the next GB will be called Jurassic Plastic, and will encompass any LSP kit released prior to 1984. Timed to start after the end of the of the Winkle's Wings GB, though running time has yet to be determined.

Kev

Sounds like it could be fun Kev. I'll have to see if there even anything in my stash that old. When did the Tamiya F-14 come out?

Carl

1979, methinks

Edit-

Whoops, close- 1980.  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/133628-tamiya-60301-grumman-f-14a-tomcat

Edited by Lee White

Hey Kevin,

How about an hold Revell Mirage with a conversion let's say an Isracast Dagger would qualify......?

Dan.

Should be well OK. First release was in 1973, from what I can tell:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=246

And just to clarify, only the base kit needs to be Jurassic; modern upgrades and conversions are fine!

Kev

Yep - reboxings and re-releases are OK, as long as the base plastic has its genesis prior to 1984.

Kev

Great stuff, I see the kit was originally released as long ago as 1979 so it qualifies on all counts. It's mind-boggling to think that this iconic widely known and manufactured aircraft hasn't been issued in our scale since then!

Max

Jurassic Plastic - great concept.

If I can get a move on I might also be up for a 1/32 Tamiya Tomcat, especially with Eli's new decals. I am assuming markings might be from a later era but that's not an inhibitor given the options.

Tony

We have indeed, Don! Not sure if the theme will suit you, but it'll be another Tribute GB, this time in honour of our fallen former staff member, Dan Lo Russo. Dan was quite a well-known dinosaur sculptor, not only contributing works for museums and displays, but designing a range of small scale replica toys that I believe are still available to buy.

So, to honour Dan's dinosaur association, the next GB will be called Jurassic Plastic, and will encompass any LSP kit released prior to 1984. Timed to start after the end of the of the Winkle's Wings GB, though running time has yet to be determined.

Kev

Prior to 1984!!!? Is that not the era of mucho fill,sand,fill, repeat then re-scribe? May I build a modern dinosaur kit? After all the Dino's are waaay before 1984. The new t-Rex looks very cool.

I will look for older Dino kits. Maybe Tamiya pioneered some thing.

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski