Hasegawa Fw 190A-8

Allok

One more go at a half decent interior shot.

Pic shows the repaired dash, scratched gun sight and hand painted instrument panel.

Pictures008.jpg

A few other little things of note in the pic;

I have also had a go at re-shaping the exsisting gun covers. But I won't know how this turned out until they have some paint on them.

There was quite a big gap between the fuse and the wing along the root. Rather than filling it, I decided to dribble some glue into the gaps and then stretch a piece of tape from wingtip to wingtip, over the top of the fuse and pull it all together. Worked quite nicely.

The main structure needs to be glued together for strength before I try and remove any more paint. I won't have to get it all off,`just enough to remove the brush marks.

Nice trick with the tape to close the wing/fuselage gaps!. The kits' fit in this area was terrible. When mine came apart during cleaning all the Squadron green putty I'd used to build up the fuse edges was revealed and I remembered the trouble I'd had putting this beast together in the first place. Lucky for me it stayed intact when the wing came off.

When this little plane arrived at my door, it had been assembled with the gear up. I'm sure it would have looked very cool, hanging from some kids ceiling.

To achieve this, the modeller had to leave out the gear legs and the inner wheel halves. The wheel halves that were left had been filed away so that they would fit in under the doors.

Normally, in this instance, I would seek spares from you guys to replace the missing bits. But after checking the other kit I have, I decided the kit ones weren't all that accurate anyway.

Why not just scratch some up?...

Pictures009.jpg

The wheels are from the Pro-Modeller 109. The engine vents were also damaged so I decided to close them using some plastic card. More paint has been removed from the airframe and some new paint applied to the inside. At this stage, I'm just doing generic little bits and pieces while I wait for more specific detail references and decals from EagleCals.

Getting there slowly.

Well... not a lot of model building going on at my place this week. We've got painters coming and anything "model" related has been moved out to the garage or stacked in the shed. Still, it will be nice to get place done up a bit (by someone else :ph34r: )

Will most likely still build something on the sly, though. Addicts always find a way.

Great Models did not come through for me in the end. The two models I paid for were not in stock and after over a month, they conceeded that chances of getting them were slim. Possibly not their fault.

So I got a refund and bought them from Spru brothers.

The decals I paid for, however, seem to have been overlooked entirely. Not so Great.

The highlight of the whole thing was getting to talk to Judy Crandall of Eagle Editions. This is a big thing for me as it is a fairly significant toll call. She was very nice indeed and hopefully I will have some decals soon.

Yay!

I may have also cleared up my dilema as to which aircraft to model mine on.

Here is a picture of the Guillows model I made about a million years ago. Hopefully the replacement plastic one will be a little better.

FW19001.jpg

Things have slowed down considerably on this build as I wait for my Eagle Cals.

In the mean time, I've been trying to scratch-build the retractor arms as the ones from the kit were missing and the originals weren't that flash anyway (see earlier post for explanation)

I had three goes before I ended up with one I was reasonably happy with and it took me most of a day. Isn't it funny how the smallest little thing can trip you up like this?

Now, I will make three more. One more for this plane and two more for the other 190 I have in the stash.

I'll try and post some pics once I've built something worth looking at.

Cheers guys.

Keith.

Righto...

The retractor arms to replace the missing ones and another set for later;

Pictures010.jpg

The bottom two are the ones I will be using here. The Kit wheel well is only about half as deep as it should be so I've cut the big circular turning bit in half so it will fit in. I will have to wait till the legs are in before I can determine the correct angle to trim it to.

The two top arms will be going into the later kit and have the turning thingys attached, as I intend building a new set of wells for that one.

The kit part from my other plane is in the shot for comparison. As you can see, it's a bit light in some areas and a bit chunky in others.

Arms looking great, but I think RookieLSP is going to toss you out of the build if he sees any more scrathin'! :lol:

Ray has raised a very valid point and if this were an I.P.M.S. competition, I would definitely be disqualified.

However, I believe that taking a kit that would otherwise have been trashed and turn it into something presentable without using any after-market goodies is totally within the spirit of this G.B.

Obviously, it’s up to you guys but If Rookie decides to disallow this build, I will respect his decision. The only thing I would ask that the thread remain in the G.B. but be ineligible for any poll or raffle.

Having said all that, I will still be keeping this build under the $50 mark and the only after-market I will be using will be the decals.

Also, apart from the extra armour, I’m only scratch-building the parts that are missing or damaged.

I admit that the Gear detail might be pushing the boundaries a little but if I have replace it, then I may as well make the effort.

Anyway, that’s enough bleating from me… I’m off to my AMS anonymous meeting.

:P

A close save with the canopy.

The original hood was quite badly clouded and had a lot of glue marks and scratches.

My first attempts at repairing it left it totally opaque and the floor wax couldn't get it clear.

Disaster!

In the end, I tried rinsing it in methylated spirits, polishing it with silver polish and then I dipped in wax.

Here is the result;

Pictures011.jpg

Once again, it's not perfect but it's a hundred percent better that it was and you can see through it!

The A.M.S. support group leader thinks I'm a lost cause.

Ray has raised a very valid point and if this were an I.P.M.S. competition, I would definitely be disqualified.

However, I believe that taking a kit that would otherwise have been trashed and turn it into something presentable without using any after-market goodies is totally within the spirit of this G.B.

Obviously, it’s up to you guys but If Rookie decides to disallow this build, I will respect his decision. The only thing I would ask that the thread remain in the G.B. but be ineligible for any poll or raffle.

Having said all that, I will still be keeping this build under the $50 mark and the only after-market I will be using will be the decals.

Also, apart from the extra armour, I’m only scratch-building the parts that are missing or damaged.

I admit that the Gear detail might be pushing the boundaries a little but if I have replace it, then I may as well make the effort.

Anyway, that’s enough bleating from me… I’m off to my AMS anonymous meeting.

;)

It's ok with me too, Allok. In the end it's all what you want to do anyway. And I know your trying to repair and recover an old model which is a totally different problem than OOB.

I do suggest you occasionally try a pure (at least by IPMS rules) OOB build, as it really does a nice 'cleansing' of AMS and helps keep up on the painting skills!! This goes for all you lurkers out there, too... and Matty!!! :lol: