F-15DJ 1/32

Luca

They started with the Tamiya F-15C or F-15CJ then bought the sprues for the forward fusealge and canopy of the F-15E Strike eagle kit. Can be bought from Tamiya, and IIRC someone was selling the sprues on EBay. I've done a CJ Aggressor from the Tamiya kit and a DJ Aggressor from the Revell Strike Eagle kit. I have to say, the Revell kit fit much better than the Tamiya kit but is far less detailed.

Don

Can be bought from Tamiya, and IIRC someone was selling the sprues on EBay.

Hi Don, just checked the eBay seller, he only has the A sprue... it is not enough to make the conversion (they are missing the F, G, J sprues).

thanks anyway.

Edited by Luca

You can purchase sprues from Tamiya kits currently in production from vendors like Time Tunnel Models here in the UK.  I have used them on a few occasions, and never had a problem.  The fastest I got the sprues were two weeks.  Sometimes they have to get them from Japan, and then it takes longer - up to six weeks.  You will need the kit number and sprue number (the seven-digit code).

Jens

You dont need to buy the sprues for the fuse.

You buy an F-15E and an F-15J and you use the front fuse from the E on the J and the front fuse of the J on the E.

You end up an F-15DJ and a Confirmal fuel tank fitted F-15C.

You need to get some gear parts but they are easier to track down than the fuselage parts.

The Fast packs where slightly different shaped but i still havnt seen any photos which show any external shape difference worth losing sleep about.

So you get a Japanese Aggressor amd a 57th Iceland based long range interceptor which is a good deal out of the 2 base kits.

You need to do a bit more as i said like gear, rear pit panel, rescribing some panels but i think its a great trade off for something different.

Edited by Darren Howie

One of the great mysteries of the universe:

Why Tamiya never released a DJ whereas:

- it is a Japanese topic

- it offers the largest variety of the most colorful schemes you can imagine

- less than ten small parts had to be designed...

They can be very frustrating sometimes... :-(((

"One of the great mysteries of the universe" is also why they haven't released a F-16D.: Explain that.

Chuck

I have always felt that about the RF-4EJ Photo-Phantom (amongst numerous possible marks), and wonder why Tamiya don't do regular new boxings with some new bits and decals.

Tony

"One of the great mysteries of the universe" is also why they haven't released a F-16D.: Explain that.

Chuck

I can't.  When I visited the Shizuoka Hobby Show in May 2014, I asked them, and even told them people were buying Hasegawa two-seat F-16s to convert their kit (i.e. they were helping the competition).  Doesn't seem to have made an impact...  BTW, this was for 1:48 scale.

Jens

Edited by jenshb

It's one of the great mysteries why Tamiya only releases 2-3 versions of a kit (not counting the chrome or real sound boxings) when just an extra sprue and/or other minor mold changes would easily get another desired boxing for little more investment.

Why no slatted wing F-4?

Why no two seat F-16?

Why only two A6Ms?

Why no GE engined F-14?

Why no F-15D?

Edited by Dave Williams