Hasegawa Ki43

Koala

No pics tonight. Just a muffled scream to make me feel better before going to bed...

Three terrifying letters.... NMF.... aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, thinking back to the sub-title of this thread - its not so much a practice kit as a learning kit.

First the dark art of re-scribing was tentatively explored with mixed results. I thought that was scary.

HA!

Then I made my first attempt at a (gasp) Natural Metal Finish! (As you will know the IJA planes came mostly bare metal from the factories and most camo jobs consisted of roughly sprayed or painted JA green on the uppers only - which, with the absence of primer, quickly deteriorated - a good subject for a first NMF attempt as I can cover the worst glitches with camo later.)

Anyway... bugger me! If you so much as look at the kit in a rough manner during the initial build it sticks out like a dogs balls once the metal paint goes on, eh?

Its sort of done now... but some of the surfaces that I thought were impeccably filled and smoothed look... well... they make me want to cry and would probably make an "old hand" modeller chuckle at the agonies of the newbie :wacko:

Well, that's better now. Got that off my chest. Will post some more progress shots soon.

'Night all.

Goodnight to you Sir, :D Thanks for sharing Koala. This is progressing well, and going by your most recent efforts, I wouldn't sweat it on the NMF, she is looking like the beautiful bird she should be :lol: . Sweet dreams.Keep us all posted Cheers Jim :D

Koala ( surely this can't be your're real name can it..?)

It all looks superb, me thinks you have either done this in a previous life or your're a fast learner!

As for NMF, Alclad II is pretty much the way to go to minimise the risk of mental breakdown. A careful rub down with very worn 1200grit or finer plus plenty of water to lubricate and done methodically should get rid of any invisible nasties.

One good thing about IJAF machines is that they mostly looked ready for the knackers yard even when new so the odd dodgy patch of NMF can be squirted with some of that non-stick paint to cover the 'intentional' faux pas.

The main question is are you happy enough with it to want to build more?

cheers

Tony

Well, there is an upside to wrecking your foot. Aside from irritating xrays, doctors and hobbling round with a crutch (nothing broken BTW - just very sore), three days off yeilds some quality shed time B)

I have some Alclad purchased and awaiting my P38... wanted to try something slightly less expensive first so I have been working with Tamiya bare metal (decanted and airbrushed on) and Gunze metals.

Jim (g'day mate) - check the grill in the radiator - look familiar? :D

post-4-1108012236.jpg

Just about ready to start chucking green paint at it now. Still not 100% about how to tackle the green spots.

Don't want to soft edge airbrush tye camo as the plane represented here had its green spots brushed on - then weathered, worn, abraded and peeled off to expose lots of bare metal.

I think I'm going to do a maskol job and then work salt crystals into that... and see what happens.

(Of course my real name is Koala - wouldn't want to be stuck with something totally dull like "Simon" now, would I?)

post-4-1108012994.jpg

Koala, Nice effect! I have a couple books on the -43 and if you look at some pix you will see that much color differentiation in some of the various panels. You seem to have kept the effect to a minimum,and it is quite effective. If you have them, the Thorpe books are still considered a good reference I think, and schiffer published some books by Bueschel on some Jap WWII fighters. these have a lot of pix. I also like the chipped paint on your IFF strips .

cheers mike in calif

B) :D :lol: That NMF is bloody shocking :P Nah only pulling ya leg mate :D , as usual you have nailed it, and it isn't even the real mc coy!Glad you could use some of the bits and pieces K. She is looking a treat, and I think that your salt chipping technique is AOK, because your P40 was Mickey mouse done that way. (Thanks for the tip about busting your foot to get some plastic time, might have to do that myself!!!) Take care and I hope the foot gets better mate. Keep us all posted. Jim :)

are you going to paint the back side (pilot side) jap army primer brown?

Errmm... not sure exactly what you're referring to Mike. I think that JA primer brown was the very reddish brown that can been seen in old relic photo's, yes? Haven't worked it in to my intended scheme on this plane on the unerstanding that all the JA camo went on without primer. I have stretched this understanding to include the anti-glare paneling and IFF strips not having primer as well (perhaps mistakenly)

I have done the 'pit in a Gunze Nakajima cockpit green colour on a best guess basis (the old colour call outs for an aotake blue green seem suspect and j-aircraft.com walkarounds note that where this appears in Ki43 interiors it is attributable to refurbishment and not original work). I have intended continuing with this colour, including the armoured headrest, outside the 'pit under the canopy - as can be seen on the last pic.

If you can suggest something more authentic that I can still work in, then I am all ears and most grateful. (BTW - I admit to skimping with the research on this kit - I wanted to get moving with something while I'm waiting for my Zero references and parts - this was meant to be a quick biuld.)

Cheers

quick build?! Koala, I'd be very happy with your results when I am doing a slow build! :lol: B)

A quick question:

Regarding your decanting of the tamiya metallic paint, does the decanting process change the paint at all, or do you do this just to get a more even spray from the airbrush, than you would have from the spray can?

That question probably didn't even make sense :D

Cheers mate, and keep up the good work!

Ango.