Two Hasegawa Bf 109s: G-2 and G-6

I dislike anything that has too many rules. However, when it comes to modelling, my stash and my available storage space, I just have to make some rules for myself from time to time. My newest rule is that I won't buy another kit of a particular aircraft type until I've built all the kits of that type in my stash, first. After making that rule, it became pretty obvious that I had two main "offenders" stacked in my stash. They are the Fw 190 (my favorite plane) and the Bf 109. I still don't have any of the new tool Revell or Dragon/CyberHobby 109s and with Zoukei Mura set to release more FWs, this all pointed to the obvious choices for "stash dispersal". My goal is to have at least one model of every major sub-variant of these two aircraft types. So, it's time to start knocking these kits out!

I decided to do a double build of the Hasegawa 109s, since i had two of the G-4 "Hartmann" kits on the shelf (also considered doing a K-4 at the same time, but didn't have room!). So, I decided to build one of them as a G-2 from II Gruppe, Jagdgeschwader 52 and the other as a G-6 Nachtjager from JG 300. I've wanted to do these two particular subjects for quite some time and figured out that I had enough decals in my spares box to get pretty close to the originals and without having to buy anything else. The purpose of this double build was just to knock them out. There are plenty of flaws and issues (too many for my liking, but it could be worse). Again, the focus being "quick" on these two. Both have Eagle parts spinners and PE belts from my spares were added to the basic kit cockpits and I decided to model them with the canopies closed. Various additions were made with brass and aluminum tubing for some of the gun barrels and wire for brake lines. I added weld seam decals (resin on decal film, I believe from Archer) to the supercharger intakes. Just a few bits here and there, but I didn't follow any tweak lists too closely, so they are what they are. The key point is that I had fun building them and it only took me a week to do them. Paint is mostly MM enamel with a little bit of artists' oils and pastels for weathering.

I tried to get outdoor pics today, but the sun and heat were conspiring against me and I also started breaking things, so I decided to just do some quick indoor photos. Also, my phone recently pulled an update that changed the settings on my camera and NOT for the better! I guess they have to give you a reason to buy the newest model phone that was just released.  :fight: :rolleyes: Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for looking,

John

The G-2 of II/JG 52

It took me three attempts on the spotted nose camo on this one. My airbrush was giving me fits and I tried the sponge method, as well. I finally gave up when I determined I couldn't (wouldn't) repaint it again. I'm not happy with it, but that's my only big complaint on this one. My hat is off the men who originally painted the complex dotted pattern, as it must have taken a lot of tedious work!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top10.jpg

Top4.jpg

The G-6 of JG 300

Not as much hassle on this one, but there were many paint/decal steps, due to the overpainted markings. Reworking the kit's droptank took a bit of time and patience, also. Finally got a decent result, though.

ID_TOP2.jpg

ID_TOP8.jpg

ID1-2.jpg

ID10.jpg

ID3.jpg

ID9.jpg

OD10.jpg

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I wouldn't worry about the spots so much. As for it being a complicated pattern they cooked up, I think the real issue is trying to replicate what was really a random pattern that is complicated by lack of good clear reference photos. I doubt the guys painting the real planes sweated it as much as modeler's do, but then they weren't trying to duplicate paint jobs from 70+ years ago. In miniature, to boot.

Thanks, everyone!

Martin,

A big thanks to you for assisting me in my photo search on the G-2 and for helping me narrow down what I wanted. I'm sure I sounded like a fashionista at a shoe store! :lol: ;)

I wouldn't worry about the spots so much. As for it being a complicated pattern they cooked up, I think the real issue is trying to replicate what was really a random pattern that is complicated by lack of good clear reference photos. I doubt the guys painting the real planes sweated it as much as modeler's do, but then they weren't trying to duplicate paint jobs from 70+ years ago. In miniature, to boot.

You may very well be right, CAT. Recreating it is probably more difficult than the original, random pattern. However, it still boggles my mind that they chose to paint them that way and it had to be more time consuming than just hitting it with a spray gun!

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

John

Thanks, everyone!

Martin,

A big thanks to you for assisting me in my photo search on the G-2 and for helping me narrow down what I wanted. I'm sure I sounded like a fashionista at a shoe store! :lol: ;)

You may very well be right, CAT. Recreating it is probably more difficult than the original, random pattern. However, it still boggles my mind that they chose to paint them that way and it had to be more time consuming than just hitting it with a spray gun!

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

John

A funny thing that I've gotten into recently, has been to paint my models by trying to pretend I am a little man spraying a full-size (to him) vehicle in the way I move my brush. I have been doing a lot of armor as I have been too lazy to do the masking for my Ki61 I was working on, and doing a bunch of armor all at once is actually easier for me. All those similar parts.

So, since I had no less than six vehicles to hit with the Holy Trinity of Dunkelgelb/olivgrun/rotbraun I thought I would try moving the airbrush in small movements about what I imagined a person that size would be capable of. I also tried to recall what it was like for me years ago when I repainted the interior and exterior of my VW bus with a rented sprayer and John Deere tractor paint. I found that the small movements and fine control on the amount of paint flowing left patterns closer to what I was seeing in photos. I've noticed in build videos I've watched that many armor modeler's would lay down a line of camo across a section of a vehicle in a pass that would go from a roadwheel up the side and on to the top of the turret in a fairly smooth motion. It occurred to me that in real life no one could paint such a line in one pass unless they were twenty feet tall and built like a crane fly. If it were me, I would start from the turret and work my way down onto the upper deck. Then with that done and leaving nowhere to stand, I'd jump down and go around the hull and spray that while trying to merge it with the paint on top. So, using a Pz III I just did as an example, I painted a line of green in the front by starting with a patch on top of the turret. Then I imagined myself moving around to the front of the turret and made a new line down the front of the mantlet while making sure it linked up with the first patch as seen from in front by someone kneeling on the glacis. My rationale was the guy would be kneeling so he could more easily reach under the chin of the turret with the sprayer. Once done there, I would take a moment to simulate the dude climbing down off the tank and standing in front to finish the front camo. Once again I repeat the process of moving the airbrush along the model's surface in a way I feel I would be holding a real sprayer in that position. I feel that the rough connections between the sections of spray look more authentic than a long smooth line that looks more like a factory job than a field one. Does this make any sense?

So, my philosophy toward the next set of mottling I do on an aircraft will follow a similar principle. Rather than try to duplicate a pattern, I am going to try to replicate the process and see how it turns out. I think they were just shooting random puffs of colors to break up some of the regular lines of the splinter camo.

Edited by CATCplSlade

I completely understand where you're coming from! That's a realistic approach that should give more realistic results.

The main problem I faced was with my airbrush. If it had been functioning properly, I would have done much better on the first try. However, I had some debris in my fine tip assembly that didn't want to come out and, to make matters worse, a paint cup that was also obstructed. It's extremely rare that this happens to me, but of course it had to happen at the time that I needed it most. By the time I figured all this out and fixed it, I had already done it three times and called it "good enough" or, rather, "good as it's gonna get". :frantic:

John

Thanks, guys!

'There are plenty of flaws and issues'

Looks good from here.

'. . .  it only took me a week . . '

I'm envious.

Haves always like your modelling, John.  And still do.  Good stuff.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

You know I'm a fan of yours, too!

I was going to go back to the Trumpeter E-7 that I started. However, I came to the conclusion that I can't fix what I thought I could and it will be relegated to shelf duty until I find another purpose for it. Therefore, I'm probably going to build the Hasegawa K-4, next. I want to take more time on that one and try to make it a better overall model than the two posted here. So, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again,

John

I'll add my "wow!" John!

Those two look great!  I have wanted to do the cowling in the JG 52 way for a long time, but have yet to come up with a method.  The G6 is my favorite 109 of all and you've really made that one a standout.

More please!  ...190's too!

Gaz