2017 IPMS Nationals: Whose going, want to meet up, and got any tips?

CANicoll

I'm attending my first IPMS Nationals - some of our club members are going as well - but I'm sure folks from here are going too.

Anybody want to meet up and say 'hi'?

Got any tips about what to see, what to do, vendors to visit, etc?  

Chris

Guest Smitty44

It's my first also! I am flying in Wednesday. There has been some things discussed, but I don't know that anything has been set in stone. We talked about making a trip to the SAC museum on our own, and I had suggested that maybe some of us could go see Dunkirk one day. I am flying solo, no family or anything so I can go and do whatever comes up. Pretty sure we are going to have a blast!  Smitty

I am arriving on Tuesday afternoon. I have requested a 1 hour time slot on Friday afternoon for our get together.

I am also sponsoring the 1/32 prop category.

Mike

Edited by phantom

SAC is a MUST here!   As Smitty and I have already discussed, so is a good steak and/or a drink.   Also we have THE (IIRC just voted this year as well) best Zoo in the world. It topped San Diegos Zoo, and if you have ever been there, it IS impressive.

Our Zoo now has the Desert Dome, the Kingdom of the night, and a host of great attractions like a HUGE white tiger, elephants a gigantic aviary and the list goes on.  WELL worth the trip if you havnt been.

So Id say, SAC, the Zoo and a good steak are all must haves round here.   We can all get together once the NATs start and plan, or we can solidify something prior if we have enough peeps. 

Guest Smitty44

Actually meeting some of the gang is actually more important to me than the competition. I am really just checking things out and learning the ropes as far as the contest goes. Of course buying a crap ton of stuff is important too... Now in Phoenix, it's on!

Edited by Smitty44

Actually meeting some of the gang is actually more important to me than the competition. I am really just checking things out and learning the ropes as far as the contest goes. Of course buying a crap ton of stuff is important too... Now in Phoenix, it's on!

I think it will be fun. I didnt NEARLY meet as many LSPers as I would have wanted in 2011 when the NATs were here.    We can do some planning and make it a few days to remember!

OK, this is cool.  The Zoo huh?  I'm bringing the camera and am doing the night in the museum tour but will think about the SAC tour now that you guys recommend it so highly.  Getting in Wed afternoon, leaving Saturday afternoon.

Chris

Yep, looking forward to meeting you all and welcoming you to my home town. Its not super fancy, but its clean, the people are nice and polite (generally) and you can normally get anywhere in the city in 20 min or less if its not morning or rush hour traffic.

Agreed, that Im most looking forward to getting together with other LSPers as in 2011 that was one thing I really regretted, is not getting in contact with more people from the site. 

The folks from my local IPMS chapter are doing dinner Friday night - anyone up for drinks on Friday or sometime on Thursday?  Lunch sometime?

I'm doing the Night at the Museum tour with our chapter Pres.  Sounds like a good time - getting to crawl through a couple of planes.  I have a feeling I may have to miss the zoo.  If I was staying till Sunday...

Chris

Guest Smitty44

Brian, I spent many years in the Midwest, and a good part of my teen years in the Canadian grain belt, so I know Midwestern living is as good as it gets.

I would find it hard to live so far away from the ocean, it has been such a big part of my life.

Guest Smitty44

I'm actually staying in Nebraska for a week! My father was born in North Platte, so I thought I would go explore where he grew up. I actually have found his childhood home. Thanks to Ancestry.com I have also found some family, and where my grandfather, whom I never met, was laid to rest. Ironically he passed away on July 26th. I have to say at the risk of sounding corny, that this trip is so meaningful to me. Watching the WWII bomber pilots train in Kearney is where my father developed a love for military aviation and modeling which he passed on to me. Through my investigations I also learned the man that married my dad's sister met her while he was there learning to fly bombers as well. I can't wait!

Found this too... http://www.nebraskaaircrash.com/

Edited by Smitty44